WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 or 308?

Boolit Master
    If you already have a 300mag and are going to keep it, go buy a 308 Kimber 84, after you tote this rifle around all day, you won't use the 300 mag much. Can't explain how sweet they are, just have to try one, it is truly a rifle built around a cartridge, not the other way around, I've got a 7mm-08.
    Last edited by Heavy lead; 01-05-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Since I am a bit of a frugal Yankee, I've always liked the idea of a .308, and I have one. In actual use though they fall somewhat short of what I would like in that cartridge. My problems have come from the chambers that many gun companies use. They use the 7.62 Nato chamber, and that combined with the stiff brass used in .308 cases makes for some smoked up necks, and poorer accruacy than the cartridge is noted for. The one I have now is very accurate with J-word bullets, but has only been mediocre with reduced loads, and boolits, and the cases won't even clean up in the tumbler. My 30-06 from the same company is much more forgiving for a variety of fun, and business loads.

Boolit Master
    Just asking for my own curiosity. I personally own a 30-06 and can't give a recommendation between the two because I have never owned a .308 but I have read several that posted the best accuracy would probably go to the .308 and was wondering if that would still hold true if you hand loaded vs. having to shoot commercial ammo?

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had a few people ask me the same question. My answer is always the same.

There is more load data in any manual for the '06 than any other caliber in the book.

Do like I did..... GET BOTH!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

We have all worked with a know it all. The one I used to work with kept telling me how wonderful his .308 was and that it could do anything an .30-06 could do. All though I know that the .308 is a great cartridge I told him that the .308 was an imitation 06. That shut him up.

Skeet1

Boolit Grand Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    Just asking for my own curiosity. I personally own a 30-06 and can't give a recommendation between the two because I have never owned a .308 but I have read several that posted the best accuracy would probably go to the .308 and was wondering if that would still hold true if you hand loaded vs. having to shoot commercial ammo?
    The myth stems from the early '60s when the match 14s and M118 match ammo hit the High Power match circuit. The M118 is more accurate than M72 ('match '06 ammo). Both are loaded with the same bullet and the same powder to essentially the same velocity. However the smaller capcity of the M118 (almost 100% loading densit) allows it to give smaller extreme spreads and standard deviations than M72 ammo (80% loading density). This measures out that m118 could maintain an ES of 50-60 fps over a 22 shot string. M72 can only do 80-100 fps with the same 20 shot string. What this meant was that the M14s with M118 ammunition gave better accuracy than M1s with M72, particularly at 600 and 1000 yards.

Thus it was said the 7.62 M118 is more accurate than M72 which is basically true. This morphed into the 7.62 is "inherently" more accurate than the 30-06 which is true only in the case of M118 vs M72 ammuniton. Since this was pre Sierra MK days all the service rifle shooters and match rifle shooters (serious ones anyways) went to the 7.62. For bolt gunners the shorter bolt throw also began to make a difference.

This has, in the last 20 years morphed further into the blanket statement "the .308W is more accurate than the 30-06". This is not correct. Given equal barrels and equal componants and loading both to their potential both are just as "inherently" accurate as the other. At Long range (600+ yards) the 30-06 may out perform the .308W as, given equal bullets, the higher velocity from the '06 will allow it to shoot through conditions (holds better in the wind) better than the .308W. However, over the long haul of several 15 or 22 shot strings in a match the lighter recoil (given equal weight match rifles) and "shootability" of the .308W may give it an edge with many shooters.

If we're discussing sporter weight bolt action rifles the difference in accuracy will just be a matter of the individual rifle, not the cartridge.

Larry Gibson

P.S.; if you get an '06 and go to Peru take ammo with you

Boolit Grand Master
    Sage advice, scrounger. .270 is a wonderful cartridge.

Boolit Master

You are in a very good position. Any decision you make will be a right one.

The tightest group I ever shot was from a Savage 110 in .308 - 3-shot TIGHT cloverleaaf @ 100 yds. We had to load light (110-125 gr) j-words, since the gun, w/scope, was barely over 7 lbs, and Jim was in HS at the time - the gun really backed off a 150-180 grain bullet with vigor!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I like short guns in the field. I like short guns because their short barrels are stiff and accurate. I like guns with short actions in order to meet other criteria.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    DeanoBeanCounter,

May I assume you are "bean counter"??

Since you have a .300 win mag and a .22 rim ...... and need something in between ....... and count beans ..... then unless you want a big game gun period .......

...... I would suggest a .223 bolt gun ...... you CAN NOT safely shoot mil surp ammo in them but milsurp brass is just fine properly handloaded ........

They pinch powder like a ....... well....... they pinch powder!

If it's big game ...... then I would say ........ a .260 Rem ...... this will split the difference .... give you a relatively flat trajectory and as a short action ...... your arms will not stretch so much after a long day huntin'

And if it's .30 cal or bust ......... then the .308!

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    My license plates on my old Landrover are SP3006, so you can see where my preferences lie. My first decent centrefire was a 3006 as well. Having said that, I am also fond of the 308 and carried a FN FAL (called the SLR here or later became known to the troops as the 'slur' ) in the Aussie Army. Really, unless you are told which one you were shooting, you wouldn't notice the difference both in recoil and performance. To a hunter in America where the ability to shoot heavy bullets is an advantage, the 3006 starts to shine, but really, a quality 180Gn bullet coming out of a 308 will do it all.

Add the casting variable, teh 3006 gets the nod.

If I was in America and wanted to hunt things that bite and scratch and I wanted to cast, the 3006 would be my choice. But then again, "If I was in America and wanted to hunt things that bite and scratch" I'd be buying something bigger again like a 338.

I love my old Mauser based 3006, but I sure like my Remington Police 308 as well.

Confused? Don't worry, you can't go wrong with either one.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    If the 300 Win Mag is your big rifle and you want a versatile cartridge for a wide range of uses consider the 7mm-08 or 280 Remington. The wide variety of quality bullets available in 7MM is only matched by 30 caliber and the 7mm-08 is inherently accurate. The 260 would be a good choice for ballistic efficiency too.

Boomer
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

Boolit Master

I'm partial to the 30-06, I find it a little easier to reload with the longer (heavier) bullets. That being said the .308 burns less powder and matches up very closely with the '06 until you get into the heavier bullets.
    Unless you really need to shoot the heaviest of bullets there is nothing wrong with the 308
    I dislike some of the new model rifles with the very thin light weight barrels. I think they (barrels) distort to much.
    I know the question is about '06 vs 308, but truth be told I really like the 7x57 best of all

Boolit Man
    Getting old does not suck, unles you can't spend enuf time at the range..!! I favor the '06 as I mostly shoot heavy cast bullets, 165-240 gr. These are more accurate as less wind sensative at cast volocitys.

Boolit Grand Master

The post that pointed to the Kimber 84 in .308 was just right on if you
    are going to carry it as a hunting rifle.

If you haven't seen one it is a Win M70 action scaled down to just perfect size
    for a .308 which makes the cutest, handiest and lightest little deer/whatever
    rifle I've seen in awhile.

Handled one in SS at a show, it was really neat.

All that said - get a used 7x57 Ruger M77 or a 7-08 current model.

Wonder if the Kimber 84 comes in 7-08 ???

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post

If you haven't seen one it is a Win M70 action scaled down to just perfect size
    for a .308 which makes the cutest, handiest and lightest little deer/whatever
    rifle I've seen in awhile.

Bill
    They do have some M70 features, but are actually a round receiver, on a Remington profile. The recoil lug is mounted between barrel and receiver, a' la Remington.
    We would take the actions, weld a recoil lug in place on the front receiver ring, and add an additional recoil lug in the rear of the action, before re-heat treating the action. The second lug wasn't necessary for most calibers you could chamber them in, but the .338 Federal showed a tendency to want to move back in a stock. It would also be a good idea with a .358 Win, about the largest caliber you would want to try put on the action.
    All in all, a pretty decent action as they come from the factory.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    30-06 because it shoots a wider range of bullet weights, larger case capacity, and out in the woods at Bubba's Gas N' Go, ol' Bubba doesn't sell ammo, but if you ask nice, he has a box or two of 30-06 out in the truck and can let you have some ammo if'n you bring by another box next time you swing through.

Locally, most pickups have 30-06 and 30-30 ammo loose under the seats.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    Likely a toss up as the 30-06 is a great cast bullet cartridge, but I have found in one particular rifle the .308 (7.62 Nato) to be even better. Years ago I picked up a $99.00 FN K-98the Israelis had rebarreled (like new) to 7.62 because I had got a five gallon bucket of national match once fired cases for 25 bucks few weeks before.

Was the best decision ever, it has proven to be the most forgiving and accurate rifle with cast bullets I have ever owned.

Teddy Roosevelt thought the 06 was ultimate rifle. He was a big game hunter and a former president.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!