Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading

Thread: Steel Targets

Steel Targets

I had a wonderful suprise the other day.

I started casting boolits for Cowboy Action shooting. I had a friend make some steel targets for me to practice on.

This is probably not a suprise to others, but when I went to pick up my targets after a bit of practice, I found most of my boolits sitting quietly on the ground under the steel.

What joy to be able to recycle these little critters!

WM
    Never Argue With Drunks or Crazy People

Boolit Master

Jeepers, that is great. Mine just explode on contact.
    Grey dust.

I think if you throttle back on the velocity, they wont explode and many are recoverable
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Well, the next time I went shooting, they did kinda explode. I think it might have something to do with how soft/hard the boolits are.

I'm pretty sure I was using some left-over Oregon Trail laser casts for my second practice. There wasn't anything left for me to pick up.

WM
    Never Argue With Drunks or Crazy People

Boolit Master

I have a 1/8 scale Human target made out of half inch plate. I can't quiet punch through it with a cast boolit, but I can dent it good. I have better penetration with softer cast than I do harder. Both turn to dust but it seems that softer cast seem to hold up a bit better to the impact. I guess it is because the softer cast tries to flow and the harder cast just breaks up. This is also evident by the fact that I can find remnants of the base with the softer cast, and nothing left of the harder stuff.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma