Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving bands

Yes, those are available on DVDs, I have them.
    http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog...categoryid=142

Boolit Grand Master

And they are well worth the cost. I have them also.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Very interesting, BUT the use of pure copper for barrel contact is one of the problems the original barnes solid copper bullets had. Gilding metal has zinc in it to make it harder/foul less.

You'd be trading leading with copper fouling, without much gain in velocity.

Boolit Master
    I believe I accomplished my goal Thinking outside the box. Not reinventing the wheel, but maybe improving it.

Boolit Master

A rattler of cages eh?
    Good for you.
    Got them out of the box. We might need that down the road.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    44man, how did the addition of the second check work out?
    That looks like it was a pain to do, but it sure looks cool.
    Does it make a difference in the load?
    I don't have a problem with any boolit, even PB so I am not sure it is worth the trouble unless soft boolits are shot. It might just do the trick if expansion is needed with a fast revolver like the 45-70.
    They are easy to put in with tweezers and when the blocks are shut, push to seat with a dowel, then cast normal.
    I have trouble on deer with my 45-70 BFR. Even with a WFN, they go through deer so fast that internal damage does not even equal a .44.
    I am going to soften my boolits for next season so this will make a good experiment. I need to make another punch set for the .45 checks.

Banned

Just found this thread, and I've been working on an idea for 22cal along the lines of what you guys are discussing here. Figured it's been done before in some form or the other.

I guess shooters minds work in simular ways,..,

Anyway I will be posting my results when finished if they pan out.

Boolit Mold
    I tried dissolving copper sulfate in water and leaving the cast boolits in the solution for a while. They came out copper plated nice and shiny I was doing it to wadcutters to improve accuracy but it did not make a difference that I could tell. Thinking about it now It might be useful to increase the diameter. Did not need electricity or anything like that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by l-weinrich View Post
    I tried dissolving copper sulfate in water and leaving the cast boolits in the solution for a while. They came out copper plated nice and shiny I was doing it to wadcutters to improve accuracy but it did not make a difference that I could tell. Thinking about it now It might be useful to increase the diameter. Did not need electricity or anything like that.
    Well you can't just leave us hanging, do tell more. Pictures are good too.

Boolit Mold
    I am new here and have not tried posting pictures yet, I will try to do so. I purchased the copper sulfate at a feed store/garden center I think it was used for some sort of pest or insect control.

Boolit Master
    you can go to the testing area to try pics. If you click on the paperclip at the top of the 'reply to thread' box you can upload pictures, then x out of the attatch box, click the paperclip again and your attached pics will be there. click on them then hit enter.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Another thought,
    What if.....
    The Freechex tool, was lengthened to make a taller gas check? Almost like swageing a cup only smaller.
    I could see where sizing it on, the case neck would add to hold it on, and the pressure of firing would keep it to the casting during the barrel journey.
    I do not think aluminum cans would be used, but copper flashing run through a rolling mill, then punched to size, and formed.
    That might almost be simpler to make an half jacket.
    Hmmm.
    My home grown gas checks come up a bit higher than a standard GC. I make them out of very soft 16 thousandths aluminum. On my 30 cal boolits the GC goes almost all of the way up to the driving band. I will try and get some pics posted later when I have more time.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Plus 1 on the interest in copper plating. BTW, if the copper ended up deposited on the boolits in that scenario, I'd guess that you had made some lead sulphate at the same time (ie the lead was removed at the time of deposition, and the copper released from the sulphate attached to the boolits).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

Banned
    Just a thought: When bands or wire rings are placed in a mould prior to casting the boolit, and if the boolit then needs to be sized, seeing that the alloy is softer and less rigid than copper, what is to prevent the copper inserts from shifting during the sizing process? As in being pushed to the nose or base depending on the sizing method.

DUST

The article JeffinNZ mentioned gives the whole ball of wax, how to modify a tubeing cutter,where to find different size tubeing, how to cast with them, and velocity he got with the loads. I believe he sized the tubeing before he cast them on the bullets. It was a good write up I plan on trying it someday. Jetwrench
    When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.