Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sister needs a carry gun /suggestions?

Again not disagreeing with you as I am on the same brainwave, but I honestly think bazoo’s gal is probably speaking the truth for women (ie. “it’s the mans job to protect”) Empowerment can also mean not giving a **** about our interests.

Logically, if it was all about probability, we would forego cars as a means of transportation to make us safer, but we accept the risk and drive anyway. Carrying a gun will likely never be useful and affects many daily decisions.

And while I’m way out here on a tangent, the likelihood of someone snatching a purse, then rummaging through it, finding a gun, and finally shooting you with it seem extremely low.

35remington, I agree very much so.

My wife is not a woman's lib kinda gal. We're both traditional in our views of how a woman should act and dress. She carries her gun because she wants to and not because I want her to. She's not into guns like me, but she likes them, and even wants a couple more. Her gun makes her feel safe.

The problem with purse carry is not that someone will use the gun against her if they grab her purse. The problem is losing the gun if they take her purse from her. I imagine a scenario where multiple others hassle her and take her purse from her before she realizes there is a problem. Basically mug her. But there are worse people, kidnappers and rapists.

My wife is a little thing, and pretty, and she is demure. She's not a big, loud and strong woman, she's quiet and meek. And she knows she needs that gun to equalize her. Not to just a larger or stronger person, but a meaner person.

She does keep the gun in a separate easily accessible compartment, and that counts a lot.

TMcD, I agree with you also. It's my duty to protect her when I'm around. We have discussed it, and should anything go down, she will get her gun out and cover me as needed. Now I hope she is able to and not panic should the need arise but we both hope and pray it never does.

That 686 by the way was her engagement present. She don't wear jewelry so she didn't get a ring, and after a few years of trying different guns she decided on that. She came about the bersa when the 686 was out for repair and a friend loaned us his bersa for her to carry. She loved it so much we bought her own. When we first got together she was 18 and had never fired a gun and thought pistols were only something bad guys and cops had.

I quit trying to change her mind long ago, but I ain't figured out why they think the way they do yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, I agree the problem is not someone finding the gun in your purse and shooting you with it. The problem is after the assault is launched, which is hard to see coming much of the time and means you are behind the curve....well, whether you or the purse or both of you is the target, you will go one way and the purse in the other.

This precludes retrieving the gun. Her chances went to zero. Guys I know we are all on the same page here. Yes, the odds of needing a firearm are low, but to my way of thinking a woman may very likely be more in need of it than a man over her lifetime due to her status of being in a vulnerable population.

The false security of having a gun is most prevalent when carried in a purse as the surprise attack women are likely to face gives her a lower odds of retrieving it when needed than if it were on her person.

I’m just venting. T I get your point women are gonna do what they want to do and there is not much we can do about it. Come to think of it that characterizes most male experience with their interactions with women, so nothing new there.

As you said, you agree I am right about this, I know I am right about this, but women don’t care if it is right. They care about other things that they feel are more of a priority. Guy logic don’t work on women. Ever.

My wife doesn't drive. She has seizures, but also just is overwhelmed by the fast pace of it before she started with more frequent seizures. I take her 99% of the time she goes anywhere. This means I'm comfortable with purse carry more so than others.

I think if they made the lcp in 22lr, with as many capacity mag as could be achieved it'd sell like hot cakes. 380 is okay, but 22s are more user friendly for those that aren't gun people. It could even be made with an aluminum slide to save weight. Anybody know of a 22 this size?

Boolit Master
    Every so often this subject is brought up & about how gals , once they figure out what firearm suits them the best, have trouble with where they would be carrying the firearm.

I agree with those who say, "not in the purse", but then many time it is guys who wonder where or how should the firearm be carried by gals then. ( Too bad more gals are not asking about such thiings, but Oh well on that..)

If you have a significant gal who is interested in carrying concealed, I urge you fellers to get her to watch the video below. There are more videos to look at than this one, but this one is astonishing in how well it demonstrates just what different things a gal can do to carry concealed & perhaps comfortably enough that it does not become a hassle for them.

Take it for what it is worth, an attempt to help out with one of the other things to consider when gals carry concealed.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    FWIW, my wife liked small of the back carry. She likes tight jeans but loose tops.

But, after quite a few years of it she decided it was not for her. The legal and moral issues of carrying were the main problem. She got to the point she did not think she would use the gun even if confronted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    True, true.She's older than me, I'm only 35. I just asked the wife and the lady in question is 54. I didn't mean anything by it.
    No offense taken, being north of 50-ish myself I thought it was humorous, keep it up, we all need a good chuckle now & then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I quit trying to change her mind long ago, but I ain't figured out why they think the way they do yet.
    It’s funny how you can trust a person with everything you have, but can’t understand their reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Yes, I agree the problem is not someone finding the gun in your purse and shooting you with it. The problem is after the assault is launched, which is hard to see coming much of the time and means you are behind the curve....well, whether you or the purse or both of you is the target, you will go one way and the purse in the other.

This precludes retrieving the gun. Her chances went to zero. Guys I know we are all on the same page here. Yes, the odds of needing a firearm are low, but to my way of thinking a woman may very likely be more in need of it than a man over her lifetime due to her status of being in a vulnerable population.

The false security of having a gun is most prevalent when carried in a purse as the surprise attack women are likely to face gives her a lower odds of retrieving it when needed than if it were on her person.

I’m just venting. T I get your point women are gonna do what they want to do and there is not much we can do about it. Come to think of it that characterizes most male experience with their interactions with women, so nothing new there.

As you said, you agree I am right about this, I know I am right about this, but women don’t care if it is right. They care about other things that they feel are more of a priority. Guy logic don’t work on women. Ever.
    I hadn’t even thought of the inability to draw or false confidence issues. Good points

Banned
    A CCW is worth NOTHING IF she: doesn't like the gun, isn't totally comfortable and proficient with it.

When she gets the gun she needs to practice practice practice until using it is second nature to her. IF/when she needs it she may not/won't have time to think about chambering, the safety, aiming ....

She must shoot it before she buys it.

Boolit Master
    My first thought when I read the post title was a Smith 642.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    My little sis carried my S&W M60 for a few years then picked out a Smith M&P Shield 9 and LOVES it.

My wife carries her 3” S&W M65 or my 2” M64, and sometimes my Colt Mustang.

They both carry on their person when at all possible. They sometimes can’t because of work, then it’s left in a locked case in truck. They seem to prefer the small of the back or appendix carry. Though they have been talking of trying out the flash-bang Bra holsters.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wheelgun, props to your women for on body carry.

I’d think a Shield or K frame Smith a bit bulky and heavy for a flash bang though.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I’m quite pleased with them for it.

Yeah they are, they would have to go to something like the keltec, lcp or something that size. That’s the main reason they haven’t tried them. They both like their guns too much to switch. That’s fine with me, my thinking is, if they like their guns, they’ll shoot more.

They both shoot a lot, and have taken shooting/carry classes. My sis takes carry/tactical/combat shooting type classes a few times a month, and has gotten scary good. Lol

Boolit Grand Master
    Heck if I could get my women to prefer carrying K frame Smiths or Shields on body to carrying something less effective somewhere else I would be ecstatic.

Your women need to give my women a girl to girl talking to lol.

Boolit Buddy
    When my wife decided she wanted her ccw, I took her to an indoor range and let her rent guns to her hearts content. She settled on the M&P shield in 9mm. She loved the double stack over the single. I pointed out to her the size and weight difference and she agreed with me that she would be less prone to carrying the double stack.
    She has tried carrying it multiple ways including the flash bang. She wasn’t happy with any of them. I think the next step is a purse from gun totem mamas and have her carry it that way. I would rather she at least have it than it sitting here at home.

Boolit Buddy
    Lol yeah saying I’m quite pleased is an understatement lol.

As to carry options, this time of year, mom, dad, sis and wife wear soft shell conceal carry jackets, and I have soft shell vest I wear over a hoody.

Boolit Grand Master
    Winter I am carrying an M and P 3.6 40 with 16 shot capacity and spare magazine. When it gets warmer the shorter magazine goes in making it a 14 shot. When it gets hotter and hotter I go to a Shield or EC9s in 9 40 or 45.

Brutally humid and working up a sweat an aluminum 638 gets the call. I have my preferences and enjoy my variety but I am less concerned about caliber and capacity than I am about being armed with a reliable piece. All are.

Boolit Buddy
    My winter carry guns are the same as my summers ones. I mostly carry a S&W M60, Colt Detective Special or Colt Mustang, sometimes a 2” M10. Occasionally just for kicks I carry my 38/44 Heavy Duty in a appendix holster lol.

I’m considering a XDS-9 or a S&W M&P 380 EZ for summer carry.