Inline FabricationMCD ProductsReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Thread: Carnauba Red for low velocity rounds?

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Carnauba Red for low velocity rounds?

I’ve got a question for you guys. I’m getting a full WC mould for my 38/357 revolvers. I’m planning on making some plinking rounds with this mould. Reasons being is my youngest daughter recently bought an S&W 642 for self defense (plus I have the same revolver). I’ve worked with her practicing but she is shooting off the shelf full power loads and that is quite a hand full for the small woman that she is. Sooooo, I want to load something light just to practice with. I’m like most casters/reloaders. I’ve always tried to push a boolit about as fast as I could and maintain accuracy without leading.
    I’m using Lar’s Carnauba Red as my primary lube. It does very well with the higher velocities and pressures that I normally run.
    My question is do you think Carnauba Red will work well with the lower velocities that I plan on? I’m gonna push these boolits about as slow as I can. I want felt recoil to be at a minimum. I hate to change lubes since I only have one lube/sizer as of yet.
    I have some NRA 50/50 and Bull Shop Speed Green but dang I hate to clean out my sizer just to make these rounds.
    I’m not sure what powder that I’ll use yet but I have a few pounds of Unique on the shelf that will probably work. I have a few other powders that I may be able to use too but I haven’t done the research on them yet.
    This question is sort of out of the blue. I know that trial and error would be the best judge. But some of you folks shooting low velocity rounds might be able to give me a pointer or two.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Banned
    Go ahead and GITRDONE

The C-Red will do just fine in the slow stuff....my 38's have never had an issue with it.....just lube only the bottom lubegroove and you will likely have better accuracy.....C red is a high quality lube...you do not need as much of it as some lesser lubes.

Boolit Buddy
    The Carnuba Red is going to work just fine.

Boolit Master

I have used Jake's red in my light loads without any problems. For your light wadcutter loads I suggest Lee's tumble lube. I shoot my 38 Special button nosed, double end and hollow based wad cutters without any sizing with a light coat of tumble lube. I never had any leading problems and they shoot more accurately than the sized and hard lubed wadcutters. If you have trouble chambering the unsized boolits, a quick pass through a Lee Factory Crimp die will likely fix it.

Boolit Master
    Use it and be happy!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    My Louisiana brother, The red will work as stated above but you might want to venture out in life and try something other than vanilla. Try BAC for your low to mid loads. It's your RED with a 50% mix of 50/50. I think you will be quite pleased. When I shoot the other powder in 38,357,44,45 and even some rifle it's my choice.
    Last edited by cajun shooter; 12-30-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added info
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I'm with CS on this one, I have switched almost everything over to BAC.

Boolit Master
    I use both Carnauba Red and BAC...your best bet is just to buy another sizer, one for each.

I use CR in about everything High Speed 22 calibers to low speed 45's works great for me. Another option might be Johnsons Paste Wax, if you feel CR isnt going to work out for you. Just use JPW as a tumble lube, it will be harder/less tacky than LLA.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I use both Carnauba Red and BAC...your best bet is just to buy another sizer, one for each.
    That is really what I'd like to do. Maybe I can luck up on a good used one someday. I really do need more than one sizer.
    I'll have to try CR since I'm already set up for it plus I have enough in stock to last a couple lifetimes.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Besides my Star, I have two RCBS lube/sizers, one loaded w/50-50, the other with Red. Makes it handy... And they show up regularly on eBay.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I’ve just got a decent chance to reply to this thread. I finally got off work for the day and it’s been a busy one. I went to Lar’s web site and he says that CR works well for many low velocity loads but BAC may be better. I have to try the CR since I’m set up with it. If CR doesn’t work then I’ll try another softer lube. I have a feeling that the CR will do well. I’ll know in a week or so. I’ve got about 8 sticks of Bull Shop Speed Green that will be next in line plus a few sticks of 50/50. I really wish that I had another sizer and some day soon I’ll have one. I’d like to get another Star so that my dies will interchange.

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Samuel Adams

Sam