Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commercial liquid lead removers?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I never heard it called the dip until today. Several years ago a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar was "common" among cast lead shooters. It works if one is very, very careful. I left some in the barrel of my very nice Dan Wesson 44H, not SS,
    for a few hours and it etched/pitted the barrel ID. Since then I've read the dangers of the solution like etching, damaging/removing blueing, and producing lead acetate. When I tried it I didn't notice (?) the warnings which are common on the web today. FWIIW it's a mixture of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, (I think I used 12%), 50/50, and I added a few drops of Dawn.
    http://www.texas-mac.com/Warning_Hyd...tch_Bores.html
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ilencer-parts/
    The Dip that is. Distilled vinegar and strong (30%) hydrogen peroxide react even faster with lead. Here is a bullet in a bottle cap with The Dip. The bullet disappears overnight.

Attachment 229705

I bought a stainless Marlin so I can use The Dip. The problem is, I got the right bullet and good coating from the start, never needed The Dip.

EDIT: yes,lead acetate was the major ingredient in Outers Foul Out lead removal solution.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all very much. I've decided to drop the use of lead removers as noone really raves about any of them. I restrict my solvent choices to friendly solvents so I'll pursue the all copper Chore Boy mechanical cleaning method. I didn't know Hoppe's changed the formula but it was likely with the new toxicity rules. Hoppe's is as toxic as I plan due to bone marrow cancer. That is why Balistol will be primary clp style cleaner with No. 9 for added punch when needed. When this stock is used up Ed's Red test is planned using some free Marvel's Mystery Oil and no acetone, I guess Kinda Ed's Red Solvent. I can't find Kroil locally but will keep looking as folks really rave about the stuff.

I watched a "Plate of Truth - Lead Removal Testing" youtube vid on testing solvents and lead removal. Hoppe's worked well and Bal almost as well. A simple test but worth the watch for interest sake.
    Last edited by Canuck Bob; 11-02-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I get areoKroil from their website.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I get areoKroil from their website.
    Thanks but the shipping to Canada plus the exchange rate is too pricey. I may have found some locally.