MCD ProductsTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need opinions on self propelled mowers

Boolit Master
    Hondas with the resin deck were sold by the bix box stores, when I purchased my commercial model at a Honda dealer. Mine has a cast aluminum deck, variable speed hydrostatic transmission, and real rubber tires. Hence, it cost significantly more. Held up real well for 20+ years and still starts with the first pull. Since I moved to rural Arkansas, six years ago, it has really taken a beating. I do not have a lawn, per se. I mow weeds on the shoulder of my 100 yard gravel drive, keep my ATV trails open and mow my septic field and small food plot.

When I purchased it new, it was a rear bagger. Had the dealer install a mulching kit and used as a mulcher.............up until a year or so ago. "Rock-in-saw's" terrain converted it into a side discharge. I swear, we grow rocks faster than weeds. Replacement mower will be a steel deck model, whenever this one dies. I doubt the resin decks would hold up to the abuse I have inflicted on it, lately.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Guys who cut my grass use power mowers. I watch them every Thursday.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend that works on small engines told me recently that Honda has gone to plastic gears in some of their newer engines. He didn’t think the new breed of Honda engines won’t be as “bulletproof” as the ones that established their reputation. They will run quietly for sure, but perhaps not as long.

Boolit Grand Master

Bought a Tractor Supply branded mower with a Honda motor a couple of years ago on end of season clearance. It's front wheel drive and guantee's one pull start. So far it sure does start with one pull.

Whether rear or front wheel drive, big wheels in back etc depends on the type of ground your mowing and how many things you have to get around. We are flat with some bushes and flowers so I got the front drive with big rear wheels. Works good for us.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

There is enough fat in the federal government that if you rendered it you could wash the world
    Ronald Reagan.

Boolit Master
    GONRA took JonB_in_Glenco's 08-19-2018 advice - "2 slooow pulls, one FAST."
    Little Wonder Leaf Blower starts up perfectly now! THANX!

Boolit Master
    Dad has always been partial to Lawn Boy mowers. He's had two over the last 25 years, both self propelled walk behinds. They have a pretty good push bar system for the throttle. The its a sliding bar that moves up and down where you put your hands on the handle. If you wanna go, just take a step and push a little on the handle and it engages the self drive. If you wanna stop, stop walking and putting pressure on the handle and it disengages. Its adjustable as well for different walking speeds. The first one he bought threw a rod after 12 years of mowing almost an acre. Neighbor took it and put a Briggs and Stratton on it from his broken mower and mowed with it for a few more years and Dad bought a new one.

Boolit Grand Master

Goats are self-propelled, don't need replacement belts, and supply milk as a byproduct. They even make good companions if you don't let them see you from behind.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

A good friend of mine is a part time scrapper. He gets a lot of different brands that are the victim of leaving the gas in the carb over the winter months. Then won't start and he gets them. I have a Craftsman with a Honda motor and frontwheel drive that I bought in 2009. Still starts on first pull. But he shows up every now and then with something else which usually won't start and says hey fix this thing and if you want to play with it or keep it go ahead. Right now I have a Toro rear wheel drive B and S. with the sliding handle to match your pace, and it has electric start. I looked at the oil and it just wetting the tip of the stick and the engine seemed to be stuck. After several very hard pulls I got it started. I had pull new oil and fresh gas. I still can't get it loose enough to start with the electrics. Now he showed up with a John Deere that looks to have a pressurized oil system with a replaceable filter. I haven't worked on it yet, I think it will be the winter project. Oh no, he just pulled up with a Lawn Boy, what am I going to do with this guy!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    All this positive talk about Honda push mowers makes me want to go out and find one.
    I looked at Craigslist, found a clean looking one (Honda Harmony 215) that appeared to not be abused, from the style it appears to be about 20 years old, they said it runs good and starts easy.
    what surprised me, was it has a plastic deck...
    ...so the question to you Honda push mower owners, Is that plastic deck the way to go?
    anything to look for? cracks or erosion?
    well, I let that one go (didn't buy it), thinking I'd see another one for 'cheaper' or for free after the summer mowing season is over.
    Well, it could snow any day now, and haven't seen another Honda Harmony, for sale for cheap ...now everything listed is snowthrowers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    Anything that can't be cut with a riding mower or planted in flower beds gets sprayed with roundup. Arthritis.
    Great minds think alike!

Banned

Honda makes two lines of small engines
    GX best and GC not as good
    You want the GX, otherwise I would go with the Kohler