MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convert Steyr m95 to .458 BP

Since you are going to all this trouble, why not convert your rifle to work as a magazine loader as did the Hungarians when they converted these rifles to 7.92 x 57. The one I have sure works slick and no need for clips.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Man
    I've already 6 milsurps and I like oddities. Moreover make that dummy elastic clip for the loose ammo top loading is not so simple.

Boolit Master
    You better drop the muzzle loader barrel idea. The steel in a muzzle loader barrel is usually something really cheap and soft. There would be a good chance of bursting the barrel with a cartridge load. If someone decided to use smokeless powder you might be guaranteeing a burst barrel.
    EDG

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You better drop the muzzle loader barrel idea. The steel in a muzzle loader barrel is usually something really cheap and soft. There would be a good chance of bursting the barrel with a cartridge load. If someone decided to use smokeless powder you might be guaranteeing a burst barrel.
    Of course this barrel is made of cheapest iron possible, but the Wesson muzzleloader replica from which I sawed it off was tested at european proof house at 10.000 psi. I dont want hunt buffaloes but beer cans at 55 yards so if I'll take pressure below this figure maybe the whole thing could be safe.

Boolit Man
    Finally I've finished the project. In place of a custom stock I settled for a well battered one of the period. Being my barrel 18" I had to study something decent for the muzzle area so I choose an argentine mauser muzzle cap. The rear sight is from an old Anschutz 22. After all it was a project on the cheap side. It cycles perfectly up to three rounds so I'll modified a clip consequently. Next week I'll bring it to the range loading 13 grs of green Rex and that Lee cast.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	225204
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	225205

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	225206

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	225207

Bring it to Texas, we'll take that thing hunting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Bring it to Texas, we'll take that thing hunting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    It's a bit too far. My favorite game are beer cans.

Boolit Master
    Reminds me of a 60's experiment by the U S Army. They converted some bolt action rifles to fire a .45 cartridge based on a shortened .458 Magnum case. They used .45/70 500 grain full metal jacket bullets (possibly old stock from an arsenal?) at subsonic velocities to create a very effectively suppressed rifle with terrific muzzle energy compared to the pistol caliber suppressed carbines.

The milspec FMJ bullets were necessary because of the Geneva Convention. They also worked better with an end wipe.

Boolit Master
    I would have just loaded up some black powder 8mm rounds and use it as is? the first 8mm rifles used black powder ammo and then switched to smokeless shortly afterwards. But your conversion is great and looks good too. Nice job. Years ago it was very popular to convert Siamese Mausers to .45-70. Those rifles worked really well for it too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 08-14-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo

Now that just plain cool. I real enjoy seeing projects like that. Congratulations

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I would have just loaded up some black powder 8mm rounds and use it as is? the first 8mm rifles used black powder ammo and then switched to smokeless shortly afterwards.
    Some German gunmakers used surplus Gew 88 actions to assemble hunting rifles intended for use with lower pressure BP loads. Handloading of most high pressure Smokeless cartridges had prove to be a problem due to wide manufacturing tolerances of propellants of the day.
    The BP only rifles used barrels made from much softer steels and were usually marked for use with lead bullets only.

I have an old book here somewhere with the proof markings for these sporting rifles.
    IIRC the actions used were those early production actions withdrawn due to safety concerns after a number of accidents.