Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Crimping .44 mag with larger boolits

Crimping .44 mag with larger boolits

I've sized a set of boolits a little bigger than I typically would. I normally size to .430, but I sized these to .432.
    I have the Lee 4 die set for .44 special (and Mag) and with the crimp die that came with it, I am having a hard time getting the larger boolits into the die. I've crimped a couple and one got pushed in a bit more than it should be and the other was just really hard to get back out of the die.

Anyway, for the folks that size a little larger in .44 mag, how do you crimp them?

Boolit Master
    Regardless of the bullet dia., the case mouth is wider and will crimp when your seating/crimping die is properly adjusted, I always crimp as a separate step after seating bullet, this is with RCBS or Redding, Lyman, Hornady, etc. die sets.

Boolit Master

For my Rossi 92 I had to size to .433. I have an RCBS set of reloading die, but I seat the bullet with a 45 acp seating bullet and then crimp with the 44 mag die. I have a turret press so I can just bang these out. If you have a single stage press seat however many you want adjust the dies and go back and crimp them in, just like MT said.

So my problem isn't in the order/setup of my dies - I have 100 nicely seated boolits. It is the fact that they do not fit into the mouth of the die. It is the Lee crimp die that comes with the 4 pack set.
    When I size to .430 they fit, but you have to force it in there and I get a nice crimp... But at .432, it has stretched the case to the point that it is simply too big to go into the lee crimp die.

This is why I posted, I was wondering if people use other dies to crimp? Or use a taper die?
    Last edited by 44Blam; 07-31-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee collet crimp die. You can get it on the Lee website or Titian , Midway etc .I don't know how big a bullet you are casting however I use that die on my 300 grain bullets and it works just fine .

Boolit Master

Why they have a different sammi spec for rifles is beyond me, but there is a difference. Get a set of RCBS, Lyman etc and keep the Lee dies. I crimp with my RCBS die but you can feel it is a bit big for the die. Go figure.

Boolit Grand Master

Perhaps you have a bit too much flare in the case mouth. I too have a Puma that needs a .433" bullet but have not had any problems with a standard Lee seat/crimp die. I had a Lee FCD for .44 Magnum and the carbide ring was nothing but trouble, both sizing down my cast bullets and small for "oversize" ammo, so my FCD now resides in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon. I now use a Redding Profile Crimp or a Lee collet crimp die for my 44 Magnums, depending on bullet/load...

FWIW; I just ordered a collet crimp die from Titan and it was $20.03 with shipping...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

If you are talking about the Lee die with the carbide ring in it, that is your problem. THROW IT AWAY and get a roll crimp die.

Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    If you are talking about the Lee die with the carbide ring in it, that is your problem. THROW IT AWAY and get a roll crimp die.
    This ^^^
    Thank you.