Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Hahaha.. Offend away... I do... all the bloody time... It's like an artform and I have the gold medal for offending clowns with thin skin.

Sometimes it just isn't fun as the snowflakes get offended at the drop of a hat. No fun when you don't get to work for it.

Maybe I need a new venture.....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Hahaha.. Offend away... I do... all the bloody time... It's like an artform and I have the gold medal for offending clowns with thin skin.

Sometimes it just isn't fun as the snowflakes get offended at the drop of a hat. No fun when you don't get to work for it.

Maybe I need a new venture.....
    Its like passing wind and messing your pants there is no enjoyment unless you realise the consequences of your actions beforehand um um so I have been told. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    The old Fart followthrough... not nice.They tell me you are not drunk until you are Soil your pants drunk.
    I live a sober life...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    WOW, this conversation really took a change

There are times you never trust a fart, we have all been there....

Boolit Master
    One thing at a time,yes. I added alcohol to dilute the solution now,not bad. Also doing hcl cleaning.

It's wednesday,right? I haven't had any normal life for two weeks now, baking and tweaking and measuring and shooting and scrubbing and shooting more and scrubbing... I think I have used 1000 primers just for test rounds in two weeks. .

I like this bullet a lot.

Attachment 219735

[QUOTE=Petander;4360137]Avenger,

The whole casting scene in Finland is just very small and different , compared to yours. We have no casting tradition at all, SWC:s cost more than FMJ:s, lead can not be bought, everything casting related has to be ordered from overseas. Not a problem,just slows things down. I aim for better ammo,cheaper can't be a main criteria in my case. Heck,lead will soon be a black market item with a gold price tag.

We have some folks here in the US that have been trying to get lead banned, too. So far the freedoms we love so well have held the day. You not only can buy lead from distributors but can still get it at scrap yards. I was offered about two hundred pounds of soft lead last time I was at the scrap yard. Trouble was they want sixty cents a pound for soft lead and cash. I didn't have enough cash.

I can remember when they banned asbestos from use and all the trouble and burden on the tax payer that caused. Because of it's fire resistance, it was probably one of the most used products next to wood and steel in the construction industry. Many products became less dependable or just plain old unusable when they changed the composition to exclude asbestos. It took about ten years for that to be sorted out and another twenty to remove where it had been used in buildings. Still a bit here and there. Some folks made a lot of money off of the tax payer back then.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    One thing at a time,yes. I added alcohol to dilute the solution now,not bad. Also doing hcl cleaning.

It's wednesday,right? I haven't had any normal life for two weeks now, baking and tweaking and measuring and shooting and scrubbing and shooting more and scrubbing... I think I have used 1000 primers just for test rounds in two weeks. .

I like this bullet a lot.

Attachment 219735
    Yes mate seems to shoot well. I would consider casting tweeking and shooting a normal life, but at 63 my love life is a smack on the but if I am lucky, and its a fleeting one at that. This coating is the best thing since my wedding night all those yeas ago, once you get that first coat right you have won the battle and any problems after that are normally easy to sort even if they do drive you nuts in the process. sounds a lot like marriage don't it. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    You are rght,it is normal life.

We have a 300m day today and I also have arranged a meeting with a G17. Will try .356 & .358, it's not easy to describe thing like "a little flaking" but I do get very little now. I have both lubed and plain Hi Tek rounds to go.

These Hi Teked boolits are so nice to handle,I don't mind using wax lube with HT if I can get this kind of accuracy and peace of mind. But one step at a time it is.

Boolit Man
    I agree with Stephen that running the mix lean does not hurt a thing and helps with a lot of problems some folks have.. yes.. the bullets do not coat heavily the first coat but? who cares? I am gonna try the steel plate in the bottom trick tho.. thanks.. What I do now is wait forever to get up to temp each time and then use a 12-14 minute bake time. This is with a small convection oven that... when doing a lot of batches... gets opened and closed a lot.

lazs

I put a couple of pieces of old firebrick in the bottom of my little oven and it definitely helps with the heat recovery from opening the door.

Boolit Master
    Is this smell information correct?

Attachment 219843

Boolit Master
    Some years back when I was President of my local pistol club I saw a lot of problems with the commercial coated cast bullets, this ranged from badly fouled barrels to loose coating being blown out of revolver cylinder gaps. I refused to use these coating until I realized I could do it myself and properly. I cant remember what smell there was but I do know you get a smell as described when baking them. I purchased some commercial coated cast from an Australian company a few years back and the coating could be picked of those with the finger nail, I wont say which brand as I will no doubt be sued. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Some years back when I was President of my local pistol club I saw a lot of problems with the commercial coated cast bullets, this ranged from badly fouled barrels to loose coating being blown out of revolver cylinder gaps. I refused to use these coating until I realized I could do it myself and properly. I cant remember what smell there was but I do know you get a smell as described when baking them. I purchased some commercial coated cast from an Australian company a few years back and the coating could be picked of those with the finger nail, I wont say which brand as I will no doubt be sued. Regards Stephen
    Stephen, why would any one sue you for finding a faulty product?
    Years ago, I heard of similar findings from others.
    I was sent pictures of packaging that had flakes, and powdery type sediment in them, and if I recall were a Golden colour .

Boolit Master
    All my fired bullets,1000+ of them by now, have had that smell. Some more,some less. I thought it's normal.

Some seriously overbaked dark ones had hardly any smell , especially with slower powder.

I'm using a new 2500 Watt oven now. More power to me!

I have these same flaking/test fail problems with fmj:s and linotype too, my WW alloy may be fine after all. I can overbake real dark and fail acetone test.

Stopped all shooting and reloading for now. I'm not giving up.

Boolit Master
    If you can overbake to a darker colour than normal and Still fail the wipe test, Something is seriously wrong. That is not possible. Wipe off is a sign of underbake. Darkening is a sigh of overbake. The 2 can't be combined.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    If you can overbake to a darker colour than normal and Still fail the wipe test, Something is seriously wrong. That is not possible. Wipe off is a sign of underbake. Darkening is a sign of overbake. The 2 can't be combined.
    Ausglock
    Despite trying to get details, if all coatings that Petander has used, if all failed the tests the same way, but no details are supplied aside from posting failure with solvent test and smash test with over bake.
    As you said, the two cannot be combined as each is contradicting the other test.

It is totally ignored, that same product, from exactly same batches, all are used successfully by many, many others, world wide by hobbyists and commercial casters..
    It is also seems totally ignored, that photographic and video proof was supplied to confirm, that what is being claimed and posted, is not supported with supply of credible supporting evidence.

It can be understood and accepted, that failures can occur. However, why those failures had occurred are totally being obscured, and, I doubt that it will be ever determined, or exposed, the real reasons why there are such failures occurring.

Sorry, but quite frankly, I am not interested in providing any further input.

I can be totally wrong, but it seems, that an on going alternate agenda is playing out here, it certainly seems that way to me.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 05-05-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post

Sorry, but quite frankly, I am not interested in providing any further input.

I can be totally wrong, but it seems, that an on going alternate agenda is playing out here, it certainly seems that way to me.
    I see. Thanks anyway, I have not blamed the coating or you in any way all this time but you seem to take this personal.

I can't post a video of a dark baked bullet leaving marks in acetone cloth... It will be taken as badmouthing... It can be done when the baking temperature has been too low... Mine has been for two weeks... Oh man I thought we were on the same side somehow.

Over and out , sorry for all the trouble.

Boolit Master
    But... you can't overbake and still get wipeoff.... not possible.

I would really really like to see a vid of your process. Youtube it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I see. Thanks anyway, I have not blamed the coating or you in any way all this time but you seem to take this personal.

I can't post a video of a dark baked bullet leaving marks in acetone cloth... It will be taken as badmouthing... It can be done when the baking temperature has been too low... Mine has been for two weeks... Oh man I thought we were on the same side somehow.

Over and out , sorry for all the trouble.
    Petander,
    You did not blame coating, and you have not done so.

Yes, I am taking this on a personal level, at on going inferences, it seems, to me and others, an attempt to discredit coating and or results that can be obtained.
    You had not communicated with me directly, asking for help, if you were experiencing problems, but, you opted to post your opinions and findings publically.
    You posted extracts from this blog site that was 2 years old, and also posted US advertised problems solving errors, instead of relying on coating advice that I had supplied to you in great detail.

Despite many requests, you fail to provide any details of your processing , and you appear to refuse to accept advice from many that had contributed and supplied, and, further, despite that, you continue publishing coating failures with various implications.

As I have said, some do experience failures, I accept that, and failures are not critical of any one publishing failures.
    Failures experienced, is not discouraging to me or any one else, and I take no offence.
    As many have witnessed, for years, I also go an extra mile try to help to solve problems and satisfy users.

You were supplied a video of how coating is done at hobby level. You were supplied Video of smash test results, and, you were supplied pictures of coatings that you have, where results and smash tests are photographed, and no failures like you are constantly publishing.

I also sent you a PM, offering to try and help. No Reply received.
    That says it all for me.

As Ausglock said, solvent test fail after over bake is not possible.
    I cannot accept the excuse, of your not being to video solvent test results.
    If solvent wipes colour produced after over bake, on a white paper wipe, can be photographed.
    Video is not required.

What you and others may not have considered is, that after over bake, you may be simply wiping off fragile blisters of coating that formed, due to possibility of under drying, or, caused by another contamination that caused fine blister formation.
    These blisters will rub off and end up as colour on white paper wipes.

Fully baked coating, or over baked coating is not soluble in the solvent. FULL STOP.

Petander, just a thought, do you have any pure lead that you can cast and coat a few with as test for your processes?