Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets build a flintlock

Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    Taco650....been waching duelist1954 on the YouTube and am about half way through the 19 videos. So far it all looks straight forward and just time taking ones time is crucial. I may switch gears and do the same kit as I like the Bucks County style stock. Not sure about all the engraving. Anyhow,, thanks for the heads up on the videos.
    I'm not into the engraving either and fancy carving on the stock... or brass furniture. I guess I like the "plain jane" look better. I just want a good hunting rifle for deer/elk.

Boolit Master
    Future reference

Boolit Bub
    Jim Chambers flintlock kits. www.flintlock.com. Good kits. Bill

Boolit Bub
    Sorry www.flintlocks.com. Bill

Well I went with a TOW JP Beck. My barrel finally came in, found a Chambers large deluxe Siler at Muzzeleloaders Builders supply, still waiting on the extra fancy stock form Track, everything else is in stock. Been practicing my relief carving. At first I didn't think I could pull any stock carving off but after my first attempt I was decently satisfied. I am onto my second practice relief carving that has a lot more C scrolls. So I may just give it a go for this build.

Boolit Buddy
    Check out Knob Mountain Muzzleloading. He does good work and his prices are in line. Don't get a 48" twist if you plan to shoot round balls. You'll need a slower twist to get accuracy with a good hunting powder charge.

Boolit Grand Master

Jim Kibler has a great new Colonial Kit. Basically mostly inletted and shaped but you need to finish it. One of the easiest types of flintlock to build is a Trade Gun. Caywoods ans Sitting Fox have some nice kits too.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Dixon's is always the last weekend in July. If you live in the area, there is a historical society in Nazareth, PA which meets on the site of the old Henry rifle factory (Jacobsburg Historical Society). They run a course over 10 Sundays in the spring in which you build under the supervision of a master flintlocksmith. I took the course 3 years ago, it was about $850.

I like the Kibler kit, maybe next build.

I looked on Knob’s site. I will keep him in mind. I have a lot of TOW gift cards so I kinda need to wait for Track to get my stock. Hurry up and wait. Placed order back in January.

Are there any engraving and relief carving pattern books available? I have Peter Alenaders book, as well as Recreating the American Long rifle. They don’t have much in the way of patterns, my free hand talent isn’t the strongest.
    Last edited by duckey; 05-02-2018 at 06:38 PM.