Titan ReloadingMCD ProductsReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressor size question

Boolit Master

Get as big as one as you can afford. Equipment operated by air uses more CFM than you would think, big tanks 60-80 gallon holds a bunch and if your running an impact or a DA sander not to mention a scat blast. The tools turn pretty doggy if you run low on air. Just my opinion, others will differ.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Vendor Sponsor

the more CFM you can afford to get the better ...30 gallon tank or more if wanting to run an air grinder, die grinder, Torque wrench
    Small sand blaster if you stop and wait for the compressor to catch up
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    My first compressor was a Craftsman (Speedair) 2 HP that pulled a little over 11 amps x 240. Looks like it's almost 4 HP now. Nice to know somethings get more powerful with age.

When did one electric Horse Power get to be 745 watts?

If you notice all the Air Plumbing kits are Polyethylene. PVC exposed to light and air gets brittle over time and when it fails it breaks into jagged pieces..... Polyethylene just splits lengthwise.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Just look up the CFM requirement for the tool that uses the most air and compare to the capacity of the compressor.
    This is what you need to do. You can get the air requirements out of a catalog or on line. Look at the requirements of the most demanding tool that you plan to use and decide if the cost is worth it to you.

Plumbing a shop for air is a good idea and I'm glad that I did mine. I plumbed my compressor where I could connect an air hose up to either regulated or unregulated air. I bought more compressor than most home shops need, but thats just me. Mine is a 2 stage commercial model that pumps around 17CFM and 175PSI, 5HP and an 80 gallon tank.

Boolit Bub
    <not sure what happened to the quote>

DO NOT DO THIS. PVC pipe under air pressure explodes with shrapnel when it fails. And it will. I have seen pieces of PVC pipe embedded an inch deep in a 2x4. Copper, black iron, or aluminum are good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input. Seems most impact guns need around 5 CFM. So I will keep my eyes on for a decent compressor on sale that puts out about 6 CFM and 25-30 gallon.
    Home Depot has a 30 gallon that delivers the CFM I need for $319 so will take a look at it my next visit to their store.
    Last edited by AK Caster; 04-01-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Banned
    I started out small first garage in the house I had was a one car ended up with a 2 car garage with a 10x25 back section walled of with a door to the rest of the garage I now have a 5 hp 30 gallon coleman that has run everyday for the past 15 years you can run a paint gun or a impact with no problem the compressor will keep up with it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    Not true. Owners manual calls for 150 ft pounds for both.
    Sorry I have never seen them spec over 125.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

What ever you do, do not buy a diaphragm compressor, they are so loud they will give you headaches and damage your hearing. By a piston type with oil lubed crankshaft and is belt driven.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

I have a 30 gallon, i've had a 2 gallons, and at the work place had 2 80 gallon tanks hooked in unison. If you get a 30 gallon, you're going to be marginal really for an impact other than just a couple bolts. Then you'll have to let the tank fill.

What you might consider, if you dont want to get a 60 or 80 gallon compressor, which really is the way to go if you're not looking for portability, is to get a 30 gallon compressor, and then get an extra tank in 60 or 80 gallons and hook it up with hoses so the compressor fills both. . You wont get any more CFM out of your motor, but you'll get more run time and a lot more torque

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I saw something smart once, guy I knew had built storage racks in his shop, full length, out of square steel tubing (May've been rectangular) for his shop - He drilled 1/4" holes (I think, it was some nice decent size) where the tubing was welded together, then plumbed his air compressor into that so it acted as a large tank & air distribution manifold. If he needed another tap, he'd just use the pneumatic drill to drill another hole, and screw in an air takeoff there. Smart idea, thinking of doing that when I move.

Shop we had, we used 1/2 steel iron pipe to run all over the building and then broke off from that with T fittings to soft line wherever we needed it.

Boolit Grand Master

Stay away from the direct drive oil less. The are really noisy. I have a C-Aire portable. I don't believe they make portables anymore but it is the quietest compressor I have been around.

https://www.wikihow.com/Choose-an-Air-Compressor

Size chart here. https://www.compressorpros.com/air-c...reciprocating/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-02-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    This is what I am leaning towards:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30...303H/206532808

Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    What ever you do, do not buy a diaphragm compressor, they are so loud they will give you headaches and damage your hearing. By a piston type with oil lubed crankshaft and is belt driven.
    Ole Jack
    Not only are they loud, they wear out much quicker.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Get the biggest one you can afford. You will grow into it. After getting irritated with some smaller ones I went and got the biggest single stage I could find. Both Lowes and Home Depot sell the same compressor under different labels with a 60 gallon tank and getting anything bigger than that means jumping to a dual stage with a big jump in price.

This one is similar to what I got.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60...602H/205389936
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master

Compressors are like safes. Once you have one it will quickly become too small.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    This is what I am leaning towards:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30...303H/206532808

Thoughts?
    I wouldn't. That one is a direct drive oil-less. Tend to be noisey and the piston version use Teflon type piston rings which don't last long.

I got my dad one like this exept it had a 26 gal tank, same pump and motor, about 4 years ago for farm use. Pretty quiet and lots of air for impacts or blowing out mowers, baler, radiators, etc. Only thing I have done to it was tighten the belt once as it started slipping after break-in.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermat...-KIT/205795169
    Last edited by jcren; 04-02-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Banned
    My 2¢ worth.
    I love my Makita 18 volt 1/2 inch impact driver for changing tires.
    Air wrenches are going to take much more air than air guns

Just a FWIW, but my air reservoir is made from 11 old 20 lb. propane cylinders. I have a Home Depot air compressor that takes about 15 minutes to fill them all when there is no pressure. Once filled I can operate the shop all day and have the compressor only kick on twice. This is important to consider as duty time on the compressor will determine its lifespan. Mine has been in service since 1999. Oh, if you do this, be sure to install a moisture trap. I got mine at Grainger https://www.grainger.com/product/4ZL...180402220933:s