Thread: Monumental Screw-Up!!

Boolit Grand Master

Actually, the shocker would be a politician capable of telling
    the TRUTH !

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    KYCaster, I led the group that tested out the ARPANET, a coast-to-coast high speed computer-controlled communication network, that grew into the Internet, and be advised, Al Gore had NOTHING to do with it!

EasyEd
    USAF Ret
    NRA Patron
    O&U
    Oh man! I'm crushed. My faith in Saint Albert has waned! Now I'm starting to question "Global Warming is man made". Woe is me!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Bret-

Have you been skipping your Kool-Aid!? Father Gore has told us the
    truth about the great religion of Global Warming and how we all can
    help him get rich and powerful --- ERR, how he can help himself to our
    money, NO, NO - Actually I meant, how he can make the world a much
    better place for rich communists to rule. WAIT, that's not supposed
    to be what it's about, I just get confused sometimes. Let Father Al
    clear it up for you.

I get so confused when I miss my Kool Aid.

/sarcasm off

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Hehehe. Brings me back.
    I have used Lee exclusively for years. Good service, good dies. I never broke a primer pin untill recently. Then I broke two. I had a 30-06 die set that once in a while I would deprime a Berdan case! The primer pin could be straightened out with pliers. I had a stuck case once when I did not lube the inside of the case. Ruined the case, but, got back to reloading. I actually snapped the case rim off trying to pull the case out.
    I then went to a Lyman reloading kit for my then new Combat Commander. I snapped primer pins like popping bubbles in bubble wrap. All my loads jammed the action. Even the press locked up. I went back to Lee and have been reloading since.
    I could sit down, put on a movie, deprime, size, prime, charge, and reload in one sitting. They shot without issue.
    I just like Lee Products.
    Stuck case, primer well full, it is learn as we go. My new progressive press throws spent primers everywhere, no matter what I do. I put a garbage can under the ram where the primers go, and they go some where else. So, now when I am done, I vaccum the floor. Needed it anyway.
    I like the feature where if the primer pin gets stuck, the mandrel slides up instead of breaking the pin.

I have a Loadmaster and a 4hole turrent press. The only weakness in the Lees is the priming system.
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

I belong to the Lee red TEAM

Boolit Master

The best thing Lee did for all reloaders was shake up the competition and brought carbide dies to the market at a reasonable price. In the 70's carbide die sets were costing apx 60.00, thats 1970's dollars. When Lee got into making standard reloading dies their carbide sets cost about the same and in many cases less than the competitor's steel sets. Lee also shook up the biggies by including a shell holder in every die set, a additional 4-5 dollar investment from the others. One could buy a set of shell holders from Lee for less cost than any two from the others. All the competitors, RCBS, Redding, C-H and Pacific (before it was Hornady) were forced to lower their prices on anything Lee was making.

I got my first lee challenger press in the early 80's. since then I have purchased three other challenger presses , they never broke down or anything but they tend to grow legs and walk off of my bench even when bolted down ( seems my family thinks my reloading bench has a help yourself sign over it . ) now I have a lee load all 2 shot shell press a lee hand press a lee hand primer a lot of lee dies lee case trimmers and have had zero problems .
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/
    even my cat has a gun
    Trust in GOD and the Mauser.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

A lot of people bad mouth Lee but for a product that is cheaper and for me works well I cant say that i would be reloading if it was not for Lee. I started reloading for my brothers 357 back in the 70s with a loader that used a hammer. Now i have one herters press and 3 lees and 3 mecs. And iam looking at getting another Lee press why iam not sure but I feel like I have to get one. Never had a failure and i have loaded 1000s of rounds. Something else to keep in mind I did not have someone to teach me so I have made alot of mistakes and miss used my equi. but it stills going. And I did take them apart and clean them this year.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I like Lee products, for the most part. the Classic Cast Press is the best one I've used--and that is a first-hand comparison with the Rockchucker and the Lyman Crusher. Don't know about the other brands. Some of the Lee stuff could stand some improvement--the hand priming tool could have a better thumb lever--but all in all, it doesn't cost much, and works fine until the white metal part breaks. If it were made of steel it would cost much more. The Lee shotshell presses (back when it was cost-effective to load shotshells) would not be my first choice. I've had a few of those but prefer Mec. Again, my choice costs a lot more.

Boolit Grand Master

Spint primers in trash can

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Same with the Lee Load Master, let the ram fill up and you can actually put the spent primer back into the case! I have about a hunert .38 WC's I need to pull...need to pay attention to what's goin on.

That tube that Lee and Hornady put on the bottom of the ram to guide the primers into the trash can is the best thing since Al Gore invented the internet...why didn't they think of that thirty years ago?

Jerry
    Put a milk jug or such to catch the spent primers. It's free and sells same as ruined cases. Its all scrap brass and they are heavy per cubic inch.
    mold maker

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Am I the only guy who likes Lee?

Nope, Me likee a lot. The ram holds between 30 and 40 primers.
    ....Dang, it's great to be old!!

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Am I the only guy who likes Lee?
    Depends on the product; their collet dies are perfect designed, the results are outstanding, but they are cheap and so is the way they are finished.
    I really would like to see/have a die of this design, made by Redding or Forster.
    Regards,
    Paul.
    Simplifying is mostly the best way of improving

Lee products are as good as any other and cost less.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenukum View Post
    ...they never broke down or anything but they tend to grow legs and walk off of my bench even when bolted down ( seems my family thinks my reloading bench has a help yourself sign over it . )
    Duke

You need to introduce them to the joys of trying to take out a bolt that has had red 271 Loctite applied to it.

271 is removable with heat, (think torch, big torch).

If you use 1/2 inch bolts and nuts and plenty of 271, I don't think that anything bolted down will grow any legs and walk away.

Though I hope you plan out pretty well where you want everything to stay, It'll be just as hard for you to remove it.

Boolit Mold
    I started reloading with a Lee Reloader (the little cast alloy C-press) and set of 270 Win dies that I bought for 29.95. I used that press for years and loaded thousands of rounds with it. I broke it forming cases for a 6.5X55, my memory is fuzzy here, but I think I started with Jap cases. I had succesfully formed about 40 when it broke. I replaced it with a Lee Challenger and it has loaded thousands. An old cst iron behemoth (I think its a pacific C Press) sits beside it on the bench, but gets little use. If not for the economy of Lee Products I would have never started reloading, at least not when I did. I have RCBS and Lee dies and I have had no problems with either.

Boolit Master
    Everything I have is Lee. Not only are they inexpensive tools, but much simpler to use for someone who is not mechanically inclined. I doubt I would be reloading without Lee. Just bought a Lee 90 grain SWC mold for my .32. I have been putting off trying to cast, now with my .32 I don't think I have any choice. Thinking maybe I should buy an extra Lee press for de-priming.

Exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)