Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2MCD Products

Thread: Ordered Lee .312-155-2R Favorite load ?

Boolit Buddy

Ordered Lee .312-155-2R Favorite load ?

Ordered a Lee .312-155-2R , What is your Favorite load ?...I'll be shooting it in my SKS. Jacket bullets are getting to much for me $$$$. Have a #8 jug of H335 .And some 4895, 3031, 4227, 2400 pistal powders....
    Thanks......Jeff
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

I'm fond of both 7 grains and 13 grains of red dot/promo. I use the TL version. Works very nicely in my mosin. Now that I've got the sights replaced, these loads should give good groups.

Boolit Buddy
    That bullet shoots quite well with 14gr. 2400 in both my K31 and M39. Sized at .309 for the K31 and .311 for the M39.

charlie

Super Moderator

..................28.0grs of surplus 4895 in my small ring Mauser and 1950 fps. Match accurate

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Buck shot's load of 4895 is a goodone. However it depends on the case and the lot/type of 4895. I've ound with some cases and lots of 4895 that 26 gr is a max load capcity wise and with others 28 gr is. H4895 is the best and most uniform and 28 gr is just the ticket with that Lee bullet (the GC 314-150-WFN also)! I've lso modified a spare gas tube for my Russian SKS so the brass gets ejected in a civilized manner. In my Mini MKX Mauser either bullet is very accuate. Velocities out of the 20" barels run 1850-1900 fps.

Larry Gibson

I've found it to be a great bullet in both my Mosin Nagants and my Finn. Nine grains of Unique works real good in both, so does 15 grains of 2400.

Now I'm going to cast a few out of 20 - 1 lead and see how they work without gas checks.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Whoops, didn't notice he said SKS. The 13 grain red dot load would probably not be safe in that cartridge. The 7 grain load probably wouldn't cycle the action. I think Ed Harris did mention some pistol powder loads for that cartridge, though. (He designed that bullet for the SKS/AK).

Boolit Buddy

SKS load

18.5 gr of AA 1680 works well in my Norico..Bump it up to 20 if you want to use it in an AK as well.

this is with the Lee CTL 312 160 which for some reason is dropping consistently at 165 gr....

I recently got the same mould and loaded up a few using the J-word load I enjoy.

Mine are used in an old Mini 30 with a .308 bore.

23.5g H4198, WLR and the Lee C312-155 which casts out to 160g from WW.

I sized the first batch to .311 and they were OK, but not nearly as accurate as the J-word load, so I'll size the next batch to .309.

At 100 yards, they were hunting accurate with a 6" group, but conditions were crummy and I don't believe I was at my best that day. I'll resize and report back.

My 150g J-word loads give me 2" groups all day long.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.