RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 7.65 Argentine 200g cast data

I never thought to! Lol I was going to start at 38 grains of RL22 for these 7.65 loads. I'm shooting for 1800 to 1900 fps. You said 45 gave you 2200.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
    I never thought to! Lol I was going to start at 38 grains of RL22 for these 7.65 loads. I'm shooting for 1800 to 1900 fps. You said 45 gave you 2200.

Yes I did say that and being such a slow powder for that round the higher load actually helps the powder burn better, that and a crimp. I used a taper crimp. Don't worry it's a safe load. Wish you had the same bullet I used. I really want this to work for you. You'll be using iron sights right?

Yes sir,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

I ran some testers real quick, I have a spot about 5 miles from my house. Top 3 rows are my Swedish 6.5 wood bullet powder I've been using for a year now. I have 16lbs. A lifetime supply. Most use unique data for it, I've found over several hundred rounds between rifle and pistol it burns a bit slower. But unique is good starter reference. I worked up to 19 grains of this Swede powder with no high pressure signs. I suspect I'll hit a stopping point around 21 grains or so.

The lower 4 are 38 and 39 grains of RL22 respectively. Good power, a little sooty around the necks. I suspect 40 grains would yield 1900 fps ish. I don't have a chono but I go based of published data, others experience and by feel.

Next up is target work. Ball and chain is gone to new Mexico for 2 weeks and I'm off work till then too. So lots of time....and beer in the fridge.

Banned

You're doing good Gunfreak25. They burn a little cleaner with that upper load I mentiones. I gently extract my cases and down let them pop out and hit the bench so I can tap them on something like white paper and see how many unburned kernels of powder I find inaddition to looking down bore see what's in there. With my load and heavy bullet I'm getting no unburned kernels. Good luck and have fun. Merry Christmas too!

This RL22 bridges like crazy in my RCBS powder measure. So I'm weighing every charge.

I made a batch with RL22, H4198 and a few with my Swedish powder.

Finally a proper range report. Both loads were identical, only difference was powder type. First target was with 25g H4198. Not too great. This was mixed headstamp brass, some being 30-06, .270 Win, etc. Cases look great with no soot. Good power. I had my range partner shoot a similar group for comparisons sake, he is a competition shooter.

The 2nd target. 42g RL22. I did not clean the bore from the previous load, it seemed to take several shots before it settled down. The last 9 or 10 shots nestled into a nice 1.5 group dead center. This is a stout load, no unburned kernels, clean burning, but cases a little sooty. This was shot with all PRVI brass for the sake of uniformity.

Suggestions, comments? This rifle wants to shoot, but there's some uniformity issues to work on.

Yesterday's targets! I played with the same 25g H4198 loads. I felt like the odd vertical stringing was ignition related. So I tested between mag loaded groups and single loaded.

The first target shows I was correct. Mag loaded rounds were much more consistent as the recoil settled the powder in each case uniformly.

The 2nd target was 13 shots of matched brass in this case Federal 30-06 cases, mag loaded. Finally resembling a group here.

So H4198 probably needs a filler to shoot better. But I don't do fillers, nuff said. Moving on......

With this charge, 500 yard shooting requires sights set to 900 using a top hold. For 300 yards, set sights to 600 and use a bottom hold. Produced a nice hard hit at the 300 yard pig gong.

Banned

Finally a proper range report. Both loads were identical, only difference was powder type. First target was with 25g H4198. Not too great. This was mixed headstamp brass, some being 30-06, .270 Win, etc. Cases look great with no soot. Good power. I had my range partner shoot a similar group for comparisons sake, he is a competition shooter.

The 2nd target. 42g RL22. I did not clean the bore from the previous load, it seemed to take several shots before it settled down. The last 9 or 10 shots nestled into a nice 1.5 group dead center. This is a stout load, no unburned kernels, clean burning, but cases a little sooty. This was shot with all PRVI brass for the sake of uniformity.

Suggestions, comments? This rifle wants to shoot, but there's some uniformity issues to work on.

Gunfreak that RL-22 load is pretty dang good for iron sights! Try the full load I gave you to see what it changes. I'm convinced if you were scoped it would be an impressive group. I wouldn't fool with the 4198 load.

I've got to say this rifle is the most uncomfortable for me to shoot of all my surplus rifles. The high comb beats my face up and I have to really bend my neck to get low enough to see the sights.

The reduced loads help in that I have to use higher sight settings for a given distance.

Banned

I've got to say this rifle is the most uncomfortable for me to shoot of all my surplus rifles. The high comb beats my face up and I have to really bend my neck to get low enough to see the sights.

The reduced loads help in that I have to use higher sight settings for a given distance.

Gunfreak, which model of the 7.65 is it that you are shooting? Mine, which I gave you the loads from, is a 1909 Argentine and I don't have a hold problem with it. I don't have a 1891 long rifle, but do have a carbine and the hold with it is okay too. I don't shoot the load I gave you from the carbine, at least not yet. I would expect it to belt me more then the 1900 which is scoped too. I have some 1850 fps loads for the carbine with the same bullet though and it's nice to shoot.

It is an 1891 long rifle, the 1909 slopes down more like a traditional 98 and up Mauser.

I will try the full 45 grain loads next. Pressure is still very safe with 42 as the primers are nicely rounded and the cases a bit sooty.

Banned

The RL22 is pretty safe. Don't think you can get enough in the case to cause any trouble because it's so slow. Your 91 has a slightly different throat, at least mine does, then the 1909. Harder to fill up! Keep those eyes sharp as you shot pretty well last time with irons!

It is interesting to note that while matching headstamps helped shot uniformity, the biggest game changer was shooting groups from a full mag vs one at a time fed Into the chamber.

None of these cases have deburred flash holes or uniformed pockets and I think these will be my next steps to tighten groups.

I believe the wild fliers are from the factory crimp die. So I'm doing without for my next loads. The variations in neck thickness between headstamps caused several rounds out of a 100 to overcrimp, while some to undercrimp.

Banned

It is interesting to note that while matching headstamps helped shot uniformity, the biggest game changer was shooting groups from a full mag vs one at a time fed Into the chamber.

None of these cases have deburred flash holes or uniformed pockets and I think these will be my next steps to tighten groups.

I believe the wild fliers are from the factory crimp die. So I'm doing without for my next loads. The variations in neck thickness between headstamps caused several rounds out of a 100 to overcrimp, while some to undercrimp.

I make all my cases from 30-06 cases and the same head stamp. I want the thicker necks if I can get them. I often deburr the primer flashole because some of them have a lot of big burrs on them. Normally when I'm target shooting I load one at a time.