Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Lever Action Help

I like my highly modified Marlin '94, 1995. You just have to understand that this is a crude clubby version of a carbine that was at one time well made and elegant but with extensive stock cutting, shaping and reshaping, finishing of metal work it can be really nifty. Forget factory support, Marlin became a typical New England dying business that was just going through the motions. I'm sure it's so much better now...
    Pound slug the throat and order a mold to fit (180 grain works well) size fat, .360 since microgroove makes for large groove diameter. Pour, size, load, fire and repeat! Lots of fun, drops deer very well!

Vendor Sponsor

Ive also been looking for a 357 lever for over a year. Last night I stopped into my local shop and asked him again to search his dealer sources for ANY 357 levers. The only ones available new are the Henry's. I did get lucky though and found a great guy that happened to be selling one and swept it up. Should be here in a few days, might even be able to wrap and put under the tree...

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I just check Rossi site and you are right they are only have the 45 Colts R92 ,

I just sealed a deal for a Rossi 92 in .357, 24", stainless, octagonal. Told him to hold off shipping until the 26th to avoid the Xmas chaos. Rifle's in excellent shape, have a pile of detailed photos. I have its twin in .45 Colt, if it's anything similar it's gonna be sweet! $450 + shipping, PayPal, BGC, transfer, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171122_161551_zpsqhvdoxnh.jpg  

The repro 1873’s seem to be very popular in the CAS arena.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcrawford View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all this great information!

I'm on the group buy list for the MiHec Aluminum 8 Cavity 358429 Keith SWC. I'm hoping this will pair well with whichever of these I end up with.
    I would wait until I get the rifle. Then test with that bullet. Had a Rossi and the 358429 was too long. Worked fine in 38 Special cases.

Lever rifles can be very fussy about what they will feed. My 1894 Cowboy in 44 Magnum will feed Elmer's bullet perfectly but chokes on generic SWCs. Most WFN designs will not feed, except for the 320 gr LFNGC from LBT. It does feed anything in 44 Special cases.

Right now, I would get the Henry if I wanted another lever rifle in a handgun cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    One thing I like about lever actions is just how they get better with use. My 1894 would not cycle SWC when I first got it. Several thousand rounds later it eats anything. It's not picky about boolit or charge weight either, and the cheapo Lee molds work great.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

My wife has mentioned letting her Rossi .357 62 src Puma go.
    If she's serious I'll put it up on S&S. She says she doesn't need two carbines and the M1 is her bff.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I just purchased the Rossi .38/.357, 20" model 92 SRC that Texas by God was speaking of in the post above. It is a very nice gun! Very nice people too, thanks Thomas!

Congrats on the purchase.
    I have one of Puma/Rossi 24" SS octagon barreled models.
    Only thing I did to mine was remove about a third of the magazine spring.
    Since then it feeds and shoots what ever you put in it.
    Four inch plate @ 100 yds all day long, no problem.
    Even took a nice 8 point the first year I had it.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    Congrats on the purchase.
    I have one of Puma/Rossi 24" SS octagon barreled models.
    Only thing I did to mine was remove about a third of the magazine spring.
    Since then it feeds and shoots what ever you put in it.
    Four inch plate @ 100 yds all day long, no problem.
    Even took a nice 8 point the first year I had it.

RP
    Thanks for this info! I'll have to keep that in mind as I try different loads.

I have a 20" Henry BB Steel 357. Love it! I loaded up 158g SWC bullets for it. Fire great in my Henry. Will not cycle thru my friends Rossi. Personally, I really like the tube loading/unloading.

I love my little 1894 but I think I am going to get a Henry at some point. The extra weight will help when shooting stout loads, I'll save the Marlin for lighter stuff. I've long been intrigued by the capabilities of warm .357's and the Henry seems like an excellent choice.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Between marlin and henry, I choose marlin because of weight and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by ddcrawford View Post
    I just purchased the Rossi .38/.357, 20" model 92 SRC that Texas by God was speaking of in the post above. It is a very nice gun! Very nice people too, thanks Thomas!
    Thanks David we enjoyed meeting you too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Most of the time, when we talk about .357 carbines we are discussing deer level loads with heavier boolits. I must say, .357 carbines do great with mid level loads too. I gave my 1894 some exercise today with the Lee 358-125-RF over 7.2 grains IMR 4756 and Remington 5.5 primers. In the poor light of the indoor range she was making cloverleafs at 25 yards. My very accurate Henry H001T .22 couldn't do any better. Recoil and muzzle blast are a total non-issue, the only difference in shooting the two rifles is the .357 has a tiny bit of muzzle jump, really just a hop, when it fires.

I also have two Puma's, one SS and the other blued (16" BBL). They both function and shoot very accurately with 158 and 180gr bullets, which is my preference. While I like the Henry, it is too bulky and heavier than it needs to be in this pleasant to shoot cartridge. The Marlin 1894 is a nice compromise in weight and bulk, but is a compromise (to me) none-the-less. I'd like to have one in a Uberti 1873, but would worry about the "toggle link" action being able to handle "full throttle" .357 loads for very long; no doubt, the '73 is the "slickest" action of the bunch (again, IMO). The Puma '92 is a handy, light weight, rifle that will take on virtually any .357 loads you can put in it.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a very nice 16" Rossi with no bolt safety for $300.00 a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I just sealed a deal for a Rossi 92 in .357, 24", stainless, octagonal. Told him to hold off shipping until the 26th to avoid the Xmas chaos. Rifle's in excellent shape, have a pile of detailed photos. I have its twin in .45 Colt, if it's anything similar it's gonna be sweet! $450 + shipping, PayPal, BGC, transfer, etc.
    This rifle arrived Friday, and it's PERFECT! Although I'm the 3rd owner, it's reported the first two owners never fired it and it's pretty obvious that it hasn't been fired. This thing is spotless! NO brass marks on the loading gate or carrier, and the bore/rifling is pristine. It's just as cherry as it can be, even came in the original box with all the papers and accessories. All told, I've got about $515 in it.

Nice! You going to modify it in any way?

Rondog- Congratulations on a great deal; I've never even seen an "octagon" stainless! If you are able, please post a picture!