WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Young Loaders and Lack of Knowledge

Boolit Buddy

I have seen a increase of young loaders around here this past year, But while I hang out at the LGS here everyday and I would say that 80 percent of them would say they wont shoot them if they were given to them, I try to educate them but it doesn't do much good. while I might be leary of hand loads from someone I dont know , but of all the 50 or 60 that I do know I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any of those. I will say that while i May be careless in something that I do , I am extra cautious when it come to reloading , My dad tough me that from the get go. thats just my 2 cents worth
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Grand Master

250,000 plus loaded on Dillon 450's, 550's, 650's, rl 1000 and a couple of 1050's with zero issues. If I had to load that volume on a single station I would have taken up golf.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    They may have too much trouble working it with one hand.
    I know, too hard to load and text at the same time...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I have a Nissan Extra with a five speed manual. I am too old for such foolishness. For me and my wife's security we buy vehicles with power windows and power door locks. Current vehicles have automatic door locks, got 10 feet and all door are locked. Don't want to be car jacked. I was taught to reload by an uncle when I was about 15 years old. Two uncles and my father bought a Herters press, powder measure and dies. My brother and I learned loading ammo for my father. Both sons know how to reload, but let dad do it. Daughter has done some reloading. I would agree that single stage presses are the way to go unless you are a competitive handgun shooter. My rockchucker can keep me well supplied in paper punching ammo. While all my children are now in their 30's they did learn before they were 10. Late high school before they loaded unsupervised.

In Remembrance
    It's a vicious circle that develops when teaching people in todays world. I would say 100% talk about reloading, but about .03% know the basics. In todays world there's the "instant" generation, and that's kinda self explanitory.

Trying to get the "NOVICE" to wrap there noodle around the importance of knowledge and abilities is rather difficult.

It finally boils down to how determined they are to learn a "CRAFT" that in the long run benefits themselves. That right there is something they as an individual......they themselves have to answer. The "INSTANT" generation wont change until..........they actually have to.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    My Hornady Lock N Load came with a manual, a video, and there are YouTube videos out here that will show you how to set it up.... Of course that's all useless if you don't understand he fundementals of reloading.

I'm only a couple years older than the son in the OP and probably started relaoding at about that same age. I don't regret starting on a single stage press, but at this point in time I'd find it difficult to live without a progressive. Once you've got the press setup it's no harder to get the dies adjusted. With a progressive you only touch each piece of brass once and the chance of screwing something up diminishes substantially.

Hopefully the kid in question realizes the generosity of your offer and comes back to learn the basics. Either that or maybe he'll just give up and never get around to starting.

My Grandfather taught me basic reloading as a teen in the late 80's. I taught myself all the advanced techniques. I'm now in my early 40's. I haven't had the pleasure of mentoring a "new" reloader. I have helped many friends through issues and problems in their own reloading adventures.

My casting was all self-taught with the assistance/tutelage of the fine membership of this site.

Boolit Buddy
    I have helped 2 people learn how to reload. One is a friend who is 4 years older than myself an has followed my instructions to the letter . The other just turned 16 an would be a lot better off if he didn't have access to youtube.

Boolit Master

I would tell that Anus go away now, do not come back.

By the way the Dad would no longer be a friend or acknowledge for anything.

Boolit Master
    Shortly after we were married my wife and I moved close to a man who was kind enough to get me started down the reloading road that I have been on the past 60 years. I tried two progressive machines, one, the infamous RCBS Green Machine and the other the Lee 1000. I very quickly gave up on both. The nearest thing I have to a progressive or two Lyman presses with rotary die holders. I don't remember the name but you know what I mean. I did drill and tap the die holders for a handle with a ball on it to make them easier to turn. I have taught a few men to reload but not many. Most young folks would rather just buy their ammo. Nice I guess, if you have the scratch.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

I mentor 3 or 4 people a year on reloading. Started teaching others in the mid 70's and only taught a couple in the 80's but since the 90's I can't remember a year with less than 2 except for 2003 and 2008. Was in the sandbox for most of the time.

Depending on the person and usage starting with a progressive may be the best option. I haven't noticed more stupid people today verse the mid 70's.

Welp, I'm 33, and have been reloading, wildcatting and casting for 5 years now, and I, too, will not "teach" someone reloading. If you're not self motivated enough to come at this hobby organically, you should continue to patronize the walmart ammo counter. I will however, and with enthusiasm, recommend particular books, and even loan out on occasion, and after reading ANY reloading manual I don't mind any sort of questions or helping. You have to want this, it's not good to get into to simply save a buck.

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately this is just the way the world works. Some people have it all handed to them and expect it in every aspect of.life, while others take value of their life and the work needed to get where they are. Not everyone starts with a few million in the bank and every step ahead of someone else. But I'm happy I earned where I am. It's not just reloading. It's a mindset and a respect of your life and the work and knowledge it takes to do anything correctly. And unfortunately there's nothing you can do to change that. Just keep trying to help and share the knowledge. I know I'd be very lucky to have someone try to show me or teach me about reloading. But I also try to be humble and learn something from everyone I meet. Wether it's the right way or the wrong way.
    Best of luck on the next one. Don't give up on my sad generation just yet.

The real tragedy in my generation is that people think they can throw money at the problem and find a workable solution. I am aware of 4 Dillon 650's and 1 550 that are sitting in garages, still new in boxes, and have been for 3-5 years. 2 of them are accompanied by a complete set of peripheral reloading equipment, multiple sets of dies, powder and primers. No desire to learn. No effort to set them up. "But I thought I'd get free ammo!" Me-"Naw son."

Boolit Master

You can lead a horse to drink, but you can't make him water.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    You can lead a horse to drink, but you can't make him water.

You can BUT, I'm not going to be the one that flips the tail out of the way and sucks his *******.
    Last edited by HATCH; 01-27-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I would tell that Anus go away now, do not come back.

By the way the Dad would no longer be a friend or acknowledge for anything.
    Kick your friend down the road because his son won't listen?

Wow.

How's the air up on that pedestal?

Boolit Master
    I bought a lyman loading manual in fact still have it. read it a few times. then tried a easy cartage (.38 spl ) nothing blew up I have been doing it ever since. that was in 72.

Boolit Master

I had led quite a few people to reloading. I have also encountered folks like above both in person and "online". I remember teaching someone once how to reload. Or I thought I was. He couldn't stay off his phone texting and then proclaimed to me that he didn't have time to reload and that he would get me to reload his ammo for him. I was kinda peeved about that. That ended that
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Kick your friend down the road because his son won't listen?

Wow.

How's the air up on that pedestal?
    Way it is his son learned it from somewhere and being dissed like that cuts all threads to me. I have standards they seem not to. Period. Have a nice Christmas eve by the way.