RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Garb whatcha wearin' there boolit caster?

Boolit Master

Safety Garb whatcha wearin' there boolit caster?

Well here goes another mostly intuitive post I guess, but I could be missing something. Lead is pretty durn hot, and I was wondering what ya'all are wearing to protect you from the molten mishaps. As of now I am wearing a LS shirt, welding gloves, and a face mask (as in a plastic one), and a ball cap. Any other suggestions? Cloth type? This can be miserable work on a warm day.

I know you won't let me down, As always, SG
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master

I cast in any shirt I am wearing at the time(but mainly old ones), blue jeans, use leather gloves(not welding) and I have to wear glasses so have eye protection.
    When rendering WW I use the long welding gloove and a ball cap is the only change.
    I guess I have been lucky, haven't had a bad burn yet, been doing it 27 years.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

No polyester/man made fibers, they melt. Cotton is the best. Long pants and leather shoes. I don't wear gloves personally, although I keep a pair handy. Your full face shield is excellent, but a pair of safety glasses with side shields works for me.

Casting Wear

In the summer I wear a short sleve shirt shorts ans flip flops for everything including casting.

In cooler weather I wear whatever I have on.

John

Boolit Master

I wear long pants, safety glasses and a ballcap. I have had the splatter fly up on over the top of the glasses in the past, caught me right next to my eye. The bill on the ball cap eliminates this. Tried using a full face shield but it got too hot for me. I also cast wearing Ove' gloves, much more heat proof than leather gloves and more comfortable.

Boolit Master
    I think John must have more juevos than I do. I can't imagine casting with flip flops on...
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Flip Flops

Hey it's an island thing, I've welded with em too.

John

Boolit Master
    I've spent most of my life an HVAC contractor, solder boiler lines above your head all day, you get spattered all the time. I always cast in shorts and tee shirt in the basement (have a real good exhause system) Don't get me wrong, I do not recommend it, but I've got tough skin from doing pipe sweating, so what the heck. As far as flip flops, never wear them, I have mocassin type slippers for the basement, that way it traps the hot lead in them and I get a real good burn.

Boolit Buddy
    Wranglers, Welding gloves, long sleeve cotton shirt, glasses, & Cowboy boots. I hadn't thought of a bill hat, might give that a try.

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Boolit Grand Master

Long cotton pants, leather boots tall enough that the pant legs cover the ankle opening, long sleeve cotton shirt for smelting, short sleeves OK for casting, leather utility gloves.

When smelting, I like to load the pot with a long handled garden shovel. That way if something goes POP, I'm not standing right on top of it.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Ditto on the shorts, t-shirt and my flops. That is what I wear almost all the time. Come to Louiaiana and see what I'm talking about. Went out to the casting shop and it was 85 by the thermometer at noon today. Came back inside to lube boolits in the AC. I do wear all the above when smelting also but do put on a pair of welding gloves as I wouldn't want to burn my pinky's." Children do as I say and not what I DO"

Boolit Buddy
    I do all my casting for the next year in a few months of winter. So I have a coat on, a ballcap and leather gloves. I have started wearing eye protection too.

When rendering WWs I use a pair of welding gloves as well depending on what I am doing.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways
    to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."
    - Charles Austin Beard (1874-1948)

"The most effective way to find ourselves enslaved
    will not be done openly. If weakened we will sink gradually. I ask, who are the militia? They consist of the whole people,.... except a few public officers."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Been casting 54 years. I wear a "T" shirt, glasses to see with, no gloves, no hat, any work pants I have on and can't see the big fuss.
    The only time I have dropped hot lead is when I grabbed a boolit too hot yet, no burn though, just too hot.
    Some of you act like you are pouring steel!
    Might be a good idea to learn HOW to cast. I don't make ANY mess or splatters.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    If ya smelt in warm weather, a pair of welders sleeves might be ya cup of tea. Wear your short sleeved shirt all you want, then when you get down to bidness, just slip these on reak quick. Easy on, easy off. Plus the elastic wrist cuff will slip over your leather gloves cuffs, avoiding the old trapped lead in the glove cuff syndrome. $6.24 per pair.

Jes a suggestion. YMMV.

http://www.tuffrhino.com/Welders_Clo...FRJxxwodFCk8wQ

In Remebrance

Well thank goodness there are some other guys here that don't wear a complete firefighter outfit just to cast! I thought I was the only one. I TRY to remember to wear glasses. Beyond that it's whatever I have on. The only burns I ever get are on my hands and I get worse ones welding so no biggie. I have a great big jar of "Udder Butter" which I use as a general first aid cream. If it works on chapped cow teats it oughta work on anything! I also don't go crazy worrying aobut the mythical "steam explosion" from water dropping ONTO my mix. I read an internet tale of a guy who claimed a June Bug entered his mix and exploded. My bs meter pegged on that one.

I just cast in whatever I have on. No big deal. I wear glasses and make anyone who wants to cast wear safety glasses.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Long sleeve shirt, jeans, tennies or boots(whatever I have on), my reading glassessoI can check them as I go,and cotton workgloves. I tried shorts and cowboy boots but had a sprue go into one boot and changed that idea.
    IIRC, it was claimed that Buckshot does his casting in huarache sandles and a thong (there's a mental picture that'll haunt ya!)......LOL
    Rick

Boolit Master

Jeans, long-sleeved pullover top, a pair of old leather court shoes, and a plain ol' brown cotton glove on my left (mould) hand for casting; bare right hand holds the cut-down hickory hammer handle I use for a "knocker." For smelting, same basic outfit with a leather work glove on the left hand and an Ove' Glove on the right. For eye protection, I wear my regular glasses (Lexan lenses) with clip-on side shields any time I've got lead a meltin'.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Bret Try dropping a nice size grasshopper in your pot. You better be wearing be wearing long sleeves because you will be wearing silver ornaments. An inquiring mind will certainly find out the hard way. Neil

Quote Originally Posted by NoDakJak View Post
    Bret Try dropping a nice size grasshopper in your pot. You better be wearing be wearing long sleeves because you will be wearing silver ornaments. An inquiring mind will certainly find out the hard way. Neil
    Don't know about grasshoppers but I do know that yellow jackets don't do any harm!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997