Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consensus Powder and Primer availability. Should we worry?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    I'm curious; What has gone down ?

Loaded ammo:
    Has over doubled in the last 1.5 years, I bought my G-23 less than a year ago and the ammo for it went up from 14.88 per 100 to 29.98
    Two years ago I bought a 17HMR, Ammo was $7.0, it is now $12-$14 and rising.
    Powder:
    Except for Sportsmans Warehouse which has stayed about the same, the places around here have gone up over 25% in the last year.
    Bullets:
    Have doubled in less than 1.5 years.
    Brass:
    Has doubled in the last year.

On the average componant prices have gone up 20% every quarter.

Gas has almost Trippled in the last year.
    Yippy it went down a whole 30 cents in the last couple of weeks, even though the price of a barrel of oil has dramaticly dropped to $70 a barrel we are still paying the $140 a barrel price at the Pump.

Only the Left is bad, the Middle is confused and the Right will always be Right.
    I like your last quote, I agree, the Right will always be correct. Gas around here is close to $1.50 off it's high, not perfect, not where I would like it, but it is correcting. Prices never correct down fast, but they never correct up as fast as it seems. I have noticed primers in particular coming down ever so slightly, not the floor dropping out, but going down. Commodities are still high, but will go down, gold too. Just wait and see.
    For example, few of the complaints that I have heard have addressed any of the things that have had price corrections in the last couple of years. You can buy pickups for 10 to 15k less than you could the same vehicle 6 years ago for example.

Boolit Mold
    billyb,
    I'm not Boerrancher but I do shop at Arms and Ammo, and suspect I will be up there next week. I'm waiting for a item they ordered to come in. They are about 25 miles NE of me. Agree about the prices some good some not.
    milkman-06
    SW Missouri near beautiful Freistatt

[QUOTE=sig2009;414000]All depends if O'Bama gets elected. Then I would say stock up now. /QUOTE]

I don't think Obama being elected will have any effect. The Republicans are taking such a beating on the economy, unemployment, the wars, the record deficits, etc. that about the only thing they have left to sell is fear. I really don't buy into all the "Obama is going to take your guns" panic being broadcast. OTOH, international demand will, I fear, keep driving the price of lead, copper, brass, tin, etc. up, resulting in higher prices. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq might also result in some shortages. I am trying to stock up as I can afford to 'cause I know the prices aint going down.

Mike

Here's the rub.

I think gunnies, by nature- are people who tend to play things far more conservatively than the rest of the population. Meaning - we are the group of people who always hedge our bets. the 'just in case' crowd.

if we want to stock up or not for whatever reason, there are those among us who probably already took it to the enth degree, and screwed up the supply chain for the rest of us.

lets be honest, its hard to make an economic model on occasional panic buying. I know I'm not stocking up. there is just no free cash floating around to do so. I spent what I had free on a recent pistol acquisition.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Chiefs50;418806]
    Quote Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
    All depends if O'Bama gets elected. Then I would say stock up now. /QUOTE]

I don't think Obama being elected will have any effect. The Republicans are taking such a beating on the economy, unemployment, the wars, the record deficits, etc. that about the only thing they have left to sell is fear. I really don't buy into all the "Obama is going to take your guns" panic being broadcast. OTOH, international demand will, I fear, keep driving the price of lead, copper, brass, tin, etc. up, resulting in higher prices. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq might also result in some shortages. I am trying to stock up as I can afford to 'cause I know the prices aint going down.

Mike
    not only does obadmomma want your guns, if you have one you go to jail if you try to use it to defend yourself, and leneancy for the criminal. don't listen to us, go read his past. its black and white(pun intended).

as far as prices, i have said it before. the metals market drove the ammo/componet prices up, the use overseas did not help any thing. the good news is the metals market is way down, but who knows how long it will take to "trickle down".
    lead at 0.11/lb
    cartridge brass at 0.60/lb
    down from 30/35 cents on lead
    and 2.25/2.30 for the brass.

I DO NOT TRUST THE GOVERNMENT. I'M buying components wholesale. they will not outlaw it, they will tax and fee it to death.

mike in co
    THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY
    Last edited by mike in co; 10-28-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I know that the metal markets are down!! Some of the nickel, copper etc. mines in my area are shutting down. The price for the raw material is going way down again!

Boolit Master

Powder/primer availability good in SW WA State...

Hi Y'all,

Powder and primer availability is OK here in SW WA state. Sportsman's warehouse in Olympia is once again well stocked. Powder there seems to be about 1/2-2/3 the price of other places, so I stock up as I can.
    Federal primers are running about $27/M.
    I still have some primers from before the Klinton AWB, and they all go "boom" just nicely!
    I'm loading all the brass I can get my hands on, and staying well ahead of anticipated needs on both primers and powder.
    The thing that might keep us reloaders going longer is that the emphasis will be on banning ammunition, and the idiots will hopefully forget about reloading for a while.
    When they catch on that people are rolling their own, that's when life will get interesting. But hopefully most of us will have a lifetime's worth of primers and powder safely stashed away by that time should it happen.
    Bottom line: Work to make yourself self-sufficient, and prepare for the worst. But hope for a good outcome to the election.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Exclamation

What about the people who shoot in a "legitimate" Sport. Like Trap, all the Olympic disciplines, etc.etc.? I used to shoot and reload about 15.000-20.000 rounds Trap.
    Last edited by northwolf; 11-01-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: missing word
    1968-76 Panzer Lehr Brigade 9
    Munster Lager
    Panzer Artillerie Batallion 95

In Remembrance

Lead is on the way out. The recent EPA regs will stop all lead production in the US. Lead in WW is being phased out now. Lead is the DDT of the Greenies cause of the moment. It will go the way of Alar and nuclear generators, and true science. Just heard that the Glacier melt in Alaska lost ground to a growth of ice this year, reversing a 200 year trend. Gee, I didn't know SUV's had been around that long. DALE

Boolit Grand Master
    Availability doesn't seem to be a problem. It's the gosh darn prices that are constantly climbing.
    One wonders why prices won't stabilize.

Shiloh

Banned

The thing is Obama will have the power with cooperation of all the dems and greens in our country to REGULATE the crap out of industries and business including firearms manufactures and sales, in the name of health, clean air, and clean water. Add global warming.

Business owners will have to give up and fold. That's how they get to us.

If you can make your own, roll your own, and grow your own you will do well. If not well good luck..

Now What ?

Where is a good place to purchase Powder from. Here in San Antonio it has been pretty dry for the last 2 months unless you only wish to purchase in 1 pound cans. And they are very few.

Metals markets have been in turmoil, has been dropping dramatically lately which has resulted in some reductions in ammo costs. But be sure all those folks who want to ban guns have found ammo an easier target and the ideas of 500% taxes on ammo with the proceeds to go the health care are going to resurface as the Gubermint screws up our health care system even more thant they already have.
    That is not to discuss the desires of Brady and the like who want licensing, storage requirements with frequent inspections, and inventory limits - all the while mandating traceable ammo. No, I would not be worried about prices as much as I am concerned about supply and restrictions!!!
    There is NO subsitute for heavy, large diameter bullets or cubic inches!

Boolit Buddy

Obama wanted to increase the excise tax on guns,ammo and componets by 500%. The $11 tax out of $100 we spend would jump up to $55. Sounds like a hell of a price increase to me.
    eveready

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Now What ?

Where is a good place to purchase Powder from. Here in San Antonio it has been pretty dry for the last 2 months unless you only wish to purchase in 1 pound cans. And they are very few.
    ................Powder Valley! http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Buckshot Thank You that is where I purchased some powder Wed.

Boolit Master

Has anyone, besides me, checked rifle primers at Midway, lately? As of this morning: Large Rifle Primers - all brands except Remington and MagTech - "Out of Stock - No Backorder." Small Rifle Primers - ALL brands - "Out of Stock - No Backorder."

Didn't bother to look at Pistol Primers 'cause I've got a pretty fair supply laid back.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Brunoshooters.com is showing a special on Fed 205M's for 29.95 per K.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!