Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Look what I've found in the garbage!

Look what I've found in the garbage!

I found this in the garbage can at work:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170831_085711.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	203001
    It's a graphite fixture that our company's mfg operation uses for baking components. They degrade over time, and when they get cracked or corroded, they get pitched. I found the lady responsible for final inspection and started acquiring the broken ones. She gave me about a dozen a few weeks ago, and I'm getting a couple more every week.

I thought these would be good for a couple of boolit-related issues. The outside dimensions are roughly 6"X6." The holes are between .30 and .50 inch. The one in the picture would let me put 64 45 cal boolits neatly arranged on a tray prior to baking. It's graphite and fixture is meant for much higher temperatures than what you'd normally find in your average toaster oven. Another idea I had was putting one of these in the bottom of a pie pan prior to pouring pan lube. The graphite would take up a lot of room and reduce the need for lube to fill the pan.

What do y'all think?

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, the things we rescue and reuse!

I bet you could fashion custom loading blocks as well. Good score.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

Some years back I was doing a plumbing job in a metals testing lab at a stamping metal plant. A lab tech knew I cast and asked if I could use some items they were tossing. The first was a 10 lb. ingot of tin that had been a door stop! The other metal item was an damascus bar of metal 2" wide by 10" long by 3/16" thick! He had no idea what that was there for and was being tossed. It made up into a really nice knife.Robert

Boolit Master
    Walking into the Studio Machine Shop one morning at MGM, laborers were striking a set. Two of them carried a 2" thick, 3' x 3' sheet of Plexiglas with the paper still on both sides; through it in the dumpster.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

what!?!? that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

We made guards and covers out of 1/2" thick clear lexan, The scraps made great loading blocks and other things. Dish washer safe and pretty much indestructible in use. Machines good and finishes nicely.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    One man's junk is another man's treasure!

so true!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    When I was still working, I would go dumpster diving quite often. Among my prizes, there were two sets of Peltor earmuffs in pretty good shape, and two India sharpening stones that had not been used very much at all. I even found some money that someone had gotten back in change from a fast food place. and thrown away with the trash. Also, numerous pop bottles with the MI 10 cent deposit. I often carried $200-$300 in cash, from the bottle returns. Way I looked at it, it was free money to spend anyway I wanted.

In Remembrance

The thing that I saw and rescued from being crushed in a plant baler was a wood pallet that was already broken in several places. What nobody saw that I did was that it was made from birdseye maple wood! I made knife scales and a pair of revolver grips from it for quite awhile. And people called me crazy for digging it out, but soon were wanting things made from it!Robert

Speaking of things thrown away, a good friend told me last night that his son in law just threw away 300# of lead alloy! Said it was too hard to make sinkers out of because it had too much tin in it. I coulda cried since I've been looking for cheap alloy... But the garbage truck had come already...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adcoch1 View Post
    Speaking of things thrown away, a good friend told me last night that his son in law just threw away 300# of lead alloy! Said it was too hard to make sinkers out of because it had too much tin in it. I coulda cried since I've been looking for cheap alloy... But the garbage truck had come already...
    Somebody find a tree, I'll bring the rope.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Bub
    Apparently he doesn't realize that, that's the kind of nonsense that gets you replaced.

Yeah he knew it was bullet alloy too, amateur caster, but he didn't toss his moulds. I am working on getting them from him, and the rest of his reloading stuff too....
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775