RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Bullets acquired by Clarus

Could be Bloomberg. He can't get legislation to stop guns so he may be buying and shutting them down ? Just a thought .

Banned
    NO, NO, NO ! Everything that is wrong is TRUMP's fault.

Sierra makes a few good varmint bullets, decent match bullets (not winning much) and obsolete hunting bullets.

I'd never risk a serious hunt on 1940s technology cup and core bullets when Nosler, Barnes and Swift are available.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never liked Sierra for hunting bullet's, were always to soft. But I do like match kings for varmint bullet's. I also like Hornady V-Max for varmint bullet's, bot very accurate. I used to really like Speer bullet's Then Vernon sold out and I didn't like the company that bought them. Different company now but haven't bought a Speer bullet in years. Loved to old Hot Core's. Something I've come to realize over the years is every company is expendable. For shooter's like myself, we have our preference's but we could go to a different bullet and do just as well. But I really would miss those SMK's!

Boolit Buddy
    Clarus is actually an established outdoors equipment company. They could just possibly have also seen value in Sierra in order to diversify their outdoors equipment offerings. Sierra Bullets is one of the "gold standard" trade names in this industry, and well worth acquiring. I also hope nothing changes or perhaps they breathe new life into the organization. Some things need a change every so often.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I would use Sierra bullets with cup and core technology as long as I was shooting something with a muzzle velocity of less than 2900 fps. If I needed a heavy penetrator I would probably use a Nosler Partition, another 40's tech bullet. Why not they have been killing critters very dead for over 60 years?

Boolit Master
    SIERRA has been through this before. I used to live a mile from their plant in Santa Fe Springs, Ca. I stopped by one day to buy some bullets and the door was barred with a large chain and yellow ribbons. It also had a Marshals notice on the door. If you remember when that group of investors that it would be a good idea to buy 14 companies dealing with sports. They called it Leisure Group. Never mind that they didn't know jack about the various companies. The idiots took down some great old companies, High Standard, Ben Pierson Archery, Sierra Bullet and Lyman just to name a few. Some of the companies came back. others did not.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

The Sierra Pro Hunter and Gameking are some of the most accurate and deadly deer and antelope bullets made. The Matchkings hold many records. I don't think they make a bad bullet at all. Cup&core works- on big tough animals go heavyweight. I hope they remain in the buisness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have 2 brothers. The 3 of us have killed a train load of whitetails since 1962......
    We have never used a single premium bullet on deer.

I hate to tell you but cartridge cases, powder, primers and your current rifle characteristics were developed between about 1869 and 1900. Most new stuff hits the market only because they want to appeal to the first adopters and other that think they can only used modern stuff.
    I would agree that scopes are better and they are now so expensive that I no longer buy them unless they are used and very clean Leupolds. But I don't buy many since I like to use metallic sights while I still can. You should try shooting 1" groups with metallic sights and cast bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post

Sierra makes a few good varmint bullets, decent match bullets (not winning much) and obsolete hunting bullets.

I'd never risk a serious hunt on 1940s technology cup and core bullets when Nosler, Barnes and Swift are available.
    Last edited by EDG; 08-25-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    EDG

Banned
    Too expensive. Hornady makes just as good a round for much less cost. I hope they fix the pricing but honestly, I think budzilla nailed it. Something about that screen name tells me he is thinking.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I live about 50 miles from the Sierra bullet factory in Sedalia, Missouri, and occasionally stop by there and buy up some of their reject bullets by the pound from barrels in the corner of their factory. Although I never thought their prices were all that great for these rejects, If I buy enough of them I can get them to shoot pretty well from that batch. So, my question is, should I make a trip and stop by there to stock up before things change? Although most of my shooting lately has been with cast lead projectiles.
    DonMountain, I live in Sedville and will try to stop in the outlet next week and if so I'll post what I can find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post

Tell David Tubb that Sierra bullets suck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Bullets are changing, sometimes not for the better. I use quite a few Sierras for varmints, the 165 Gameking at times in the 308, and have some 85 Gameking Hp to try in the 243. My longtime favorite Hornady flat base Interlocks have been dropped in favor of super soft SSTs and the new super-hyped and hyper priced fire proof plastic tip bullets. Speer dropped the Hot Core for a while but it seems to be back after some difficulties with it's replacement. I use the 87 and 100 Hot Core in my old 14 twist M99 Savage 250-3000. Mostly the 87 since I've found a load that shoots to the same POI as the 87 TNT I like for varmints. Nosler has finally gotten most of the Ballistic Tip hunting bullets hardened enough to make good general purpose hunting loads out of. I don't use monos since 99% of my hunting is deer and smaller and I'm normally a lung shooter.
    I used to have a bullet shelf that was predominately red boxes, but anymore, it's got lots of different colors. Add the amount of hunting I'm doing with cast lead and the Sierra buyout doesn't really bother me much.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    I'm my opinion only, they will raid the bank accounts, steal the retirement accounts from their employees through some kind of bs " restructure of retirement plans ", and cut corners on quality, push production to unreasonable speeds, kill off research and development( it'll cost too much), maintenance of equipment? We don't need no stinkin maintenance! .Move out the senior officers who don't lockstep with their "forward looking plans", place unrealistic sales goals on the sales departments, and generally run it into the ground, and when the free flow cash is gone,poof! There goes another shooting sports company ran into the dirt by a bunch of knuckleheads who don't have a single d@&$ clue about the shooting sports!.........................Oh, and by the way,.................don't let me win that Powerball lottery, ill show you how fast I'll buy that Sierra bullet plant!!!!!!!! $79 million? Drop in the bucket if you win the lottery of $650 million plus!! OK, rant over. I hope I'm wrong.

The bean counters have struck again. The above is what bean counters second job ammounts to. Their first is to seak out companies with financial and quality success to absorb into bankruptcy.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Vendor Sponsor

shot very little sierra but do hope they hang in there .. More choices is a good thing for the shooter
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I live about 50 miles from the Sierra bullet factory in Sedalia, Missouri, and occasionally stop by there and buy up some of their reject bullets by the pound from barrels in the corner of their factory. Although I never thought their prices were all that great for these rejects, If I buy enough of them I can get them to shoot pretty well from that batch. So, my question is, should I make a trip and stop by there to stock up before things change? Although most of my shooting lately has been with cast lead projectiles.
    Yes, Yes, YES! Do it! A friend of mine took a trip back there from Oregon in 2004 and loaded up on the "rejects". He bought pounds and pounds of them. When he got home again he sat at the workbench with a sizing gauge he'd made from a piece of sheet metal with various holes drilled in it, determining which bullet would pass through which hole and separating them out. Took him several days. Since he was into the various .22 calibers, and in any event shot nothing larger than 6.5 and 7mm, I got everything above 7mm. Several coffee cans full of .30 and .45 cals., etc. Since I rarely shoot jacketed loads anymore I've got a lifetime supply of several bullets. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 99% of these bullets. They were probably just swept up off the shop floor at the end of a shift, containers that overflowed, etc. My buddy was originally from the Sedalia area, but had also visited Sierra when they were located in the L.A. area. I really like their Match Kings in my M1 Garands.

Boolit Master
    One thing that can always be counted on: on the Cast Boolets forum the sky is always falling.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    One thing that can always be counted on: on the Cast Boolets forum the sky is always falling.
    Same thread is on multiple forums. The vast majority of people posting think Sierra is going to go down the drain. It's not limited to here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Same thread is on multiple forums. The vast majority of people posting think Sierra is going to go down the drain. It's not limited to here.
    It may be the same people. Gun people are about the most fearful of change demographic there is.

I wonder if there was the same sort of dire prediction the last time they changed hands, or when they moved from California?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    I'm my opinion only, they will raid the bank accounts, steal the retirement accounts from their employees through some kind of bs " restructure of retirement plans ", and cut corners on quality, push production to unreasonable speeds, kill off research and development( it'll cost too much), maintenance of equipment? We don't need no stinkin maintenance! .Move out the senior officers who don't lockstep with their "forward looking plans", place unrealistic sales goals on the sales departments, and generally run it into the ground, and when the free flow cash is gone,poof! There goes another shooting sports company ran into the dirt by a bunch of knuckleheads who don't have a single d@&$ clue about the shooting sports!.........................Oh, and by the way,.................don't let me win that Powerball lottery, ill show you how fast I'll buy that Sierra bullet plant!!!!!!!! $79 million? Drop in the bucket if you win the lottery of $650 million plus!! OK, rant over. I hope I'm wrong.
    THIS! I worked for a very good company and that is exactly what occurred when a "holding Company" bought them...

Moderator Emeritus

When a new company buys out one of our long valued companies, I always try to take a "wait and see" position. But with the libs having taken over much of our nation's leading business schools ..... well, it's hard to be optimistic, and it's not getting any easier as time goes by. Accountants now control much production that DESPERATELY needs to be run by knowledgeable and experienced machinists. At a local foundry, some young manager was hired, and he set about determined to increase production. To him, all that was necessary to do that was to just .... speed up the machines! Well, he was told by all the guys who'd been running those machines for 20 years that they were ALREADY running at top speed that they could and still hold together. He wouldn't listen, and directed that the machines be sped up. Sure enough, it cost the foundry a lot of money to repair what he'd done. He wound up with his tail between his legs, but learned a lesson that machines have a natural maximum output ability, and if you try to just speed them up, you can wind up costing the company a lot MORE rather than producing more! Expertise and experience are things that accountants and MBA's just don't seem to be able to understand!

But maybe Sierra will be able to train the new "big wigs????" Only time will tell. Not everything in business is about the "bottom line!!!"

And as to cup and core bullets, they're not just sufficient, but "better than ever" now that we can control jacket thicknesses better than ever. And the day a std. cup and core bullet won't be sufficient for deer is the day that the world will probably end! So it won't matter. Yeah, there are a lot of more spendy choices available now, but what most don't realize is that what's made them "necessary" is the insatiable appetite some seem to have for ever increasing velocity, and bigger cased "magnums" that shoot bullets faster and flatter. Whatever happened to learning about holdover, and wind? Those who depend on speed will likely never learn to shoot in the wind.

In Golf, it seems most duffers want to "buy a game" by getting the latest clubs! In shooting, they want the latest whiz-bang magnum with the most highly lauded ammo and geegaws attached to it that they can get. Never realizing or appreciating that an old timer with black powder .45/70 loads would out-shoot him at 500 yds. because he KNOWS how to estimate range and what his trajectory or "comeups" are at range. Whether in business or shooting, EXPERIENCE has a flavor that no other commodity can produce. And it CAN bring the best of all possible results .... when it's allowed to act, and not penned up inside ignorance, stylish philosophies, etc.

"Can do" seems to be something only the military seems to appreciate these days!