Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Elco tc hp

Boolit Buddy
    Nice! How far out have you been able to load them on your semi autos?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    Nice! How far out have you been able to load them on your semi autos?
    1.145" for the auto and 1.150" for the revolver. I have shot the auto load in a few different Glocks and a Keltec 9mm carbine that uses Glock mags. I haven't tried it in anything else.

Neal in AZ

Boolit Buddy
    So I've done a little testing with powder coating and Hi Tek coating these boolits. My big concern as I mentioned earlier in the thread was that with powder coating these, I was having to seating them fairly short to get reliable plunks in my test pistol (CZ 75 SP-01, with a throated barrel). Not only that, but due to the inconsistencies of the powder coating (some were lumpy, and splotchy, while others had a more uniform coat) I couldn't reliably set my seater die to a specific depth and trust that all the rounds would chamber nicely. Note that I was not using the dry hand tumble with BBs method of coating with the powder coat. I was using an old vibratory tumbler with some powder coat and the boolits in it, which overall produces a more uniform and thin application of the powder coat. Even still, there were too many variables with the coating.

Since Intel6 had success using Hi Tek I decided to try some out. I got a 7.5 oz tub of the Kryptonite Green powder, mixed it up and coated around 200 of these with it.

A quick note about using Hi Tek vs. powder coat in general: it's a lot easier and faster once you figure out your process and measure out everything you'll need. I was a little scared I'd do it wrong, but I followed the instructions (which were very clear) and in about the same amount of time as it takes me to do a batch of bullets with powder coat (I was able to apply 1 coat, size and apply a second coat of Hi Tek in about 20 min. And that was with first time learning curve, next time should be faster. I was taking around the same amount of time to vibrate, pick out, bake, and size a batch of powder coated bullets)I was able to get all my bullets processed and ready to load with the Hi-Tek.

In the end, the Hi Tek came out more uniform and thinner than the powder coat. I measured the boolits after the second coat and on average the Hi Tek only added about .0005" to the size of the boolit. Many were less. With the powder coat, it was adding .004" on average and even though I sized them after, the real issue was how much coating was on the last taper before the nose of the boolit.

It's a little hard to tell in the picture, but the boolit on the left is lumpier and less evenly coated than the one on the right. And if some of those lumps are in the wrong spot, you could have problems chambering that round.

So here are the two loaded up in dummy rounds. The powder coated boolit is loaded to 1.10" OAL, which seemed to be the length that allowed for the least problems with chambering. Even still, I had a few the did not want to plunk, but I wasn't willing to go shorter for fear of causing some big problems.

The Hi Tek boolit was loaded out to 1.14" OAL and every one I loaded to that length (all 200 of the ones from above) had no problems passing the plunk and spin test.

So was that .04" worth it? I feel like it was. Not only does that free up more space in the case which is a big benefit with these big, long boolits, it's also closer to the rifling, and way more consistent in loading. I don't feel like I have to test each and every one of the Hi Tek boolits to make sure they'll chamber correctly which will speed up loading. The powder coating can be done, but the Hi Tek coating gives much better results.

Plus they're prettier

That looks like a really nice setup for that boolit. Looks like it will load consistently for you and should shoot every bit a good as they look.
    I think you have found your system.
    I ran 50 of that boolit through my 1911 9mm today and they shot well. I don't use powder coat or HiTec but they still shoot well for me with tumble lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a few today, trying to work up a couple good lots with different powders. I really like how these shoot. I'm thinking my other 9mm mold may be gathering dust in the near future

Boolit Buddy
    Really is a great bullet. I'm lobbing solids for USPSA, 2.7gr of RedDot @ 1.135 makes minor, groups around 3.5" at 25yds, easy recoil. Had to seat about a hundreth deeper for PC and accuracy decreased slightly.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Those look great, glad to see you are having success. I just recently got some Kryptonite Green also and did a batch of these in that color. I also really like this bullet. I got it mainly for shooting in my 9mm revolver but I also found they shoot great in my autos. I am extremely happy with this as my heavy 9mm.

Banned

Not sure you have perfected your PC technique. Most report about an .002" increase, you are at twice that. Regardless, the Hi Tek bullets look really good. It is a great bullet. Glad I got in on that one.

Boolit Master
    I'm re-opening this thread on the NOE 158-155-ELCO. I just ordered my 3 cavity, and it has been shipped. I plan on sizing .357 in my Lyman 450, lubed with Carnauba Red. I will try Longshot, and HP-38. I have long favored the Hornady 147 XTP, and researched other heavies before going for this. Any updates out there on this boolit?

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180425_150416.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	219601

Got 6000 of them loaded up. Thats my update!!!

It still works fine for me. I use it in the hollow point version where it drops at 147 grains for me.
    I am using different powders but the ones you mention should work fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    It still works fine for me. I use it in the hollow point version where it drops at 147 grains for me.
    I am using different powders but the ones you mention should work fine.
    Hey Taz, what powders are you using? Im still using 2.8grains of Red Dot/Promo. Mine drop at 151grains with water dropped wheel weight or 150 with range scrap plus 2% tin.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Tazman, I see you wet in on this boolit from inception. Great to see sigep1764 still happy with his Red Dot load. I will try that as well.

Banned

Check out post #19

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Hey Taz, what powders are you using? Im still using 2.8grains of Red Dot/Promo. Mine drop at 151grains with water dropped wheel weight or 150 with range scrap plus 2% tin.
    Mine drops at 147 grains in hollow point configuration using range scrap. Just about any powder combination listed for 147 grain boolits will work. I have been using moderate loads of AA7, CFE Pistol and Bullseye. I am considering trying longshot and 231 but haven't gotten it done yet.

Boolit Master
    I cast about 20 lbs today with my new 3 cavity mold. I'll let them sit a week, then size .357. They weigh .3545 - 355. I can't wait to send them down range.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I cast about 20 lbs today with my new 3 cavity mold. I'll let them sit a week, then size .357. They weigh .3545 - 355. I can't wait to send them down range.
    Good luck and I think you will enjoy them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Im sorry, that looks like a diameter measurement you quoted. What are they weighing for you? Are you casting the solid flat point or the Hollowpoint?

Banned

It will be at 158 to 160 grains as a solid. I have grown to love heavy/subsonic in most everthing. This is a good combo bullet, .357 mag in addition to original intention of 9mm.
    I remember all the work that the designer went through with a lot of comments from the peanut-gallery. That process has proven that the designer was a genius, if you are like me and like heavy subsonic bullets, especially this one, get a mold from NOE. This is a big step up from all the 147 grain 9mms out there. It works real good on both ends.
    Last edited by jmort; 05-05-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still liking this boolit. It knocks down poppers with authority, and with 3.1 gr. of Bullseye, shoots better than I can with very mild recoil.