RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingMCD ProductsInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mishap with inertia puller

Boolit Man
    Personally, I've been through five or six of these and never had the problem. We broke two pulling tracer ammo for the cases. ( Don't miss reaming the primer holes either!! ) Big ditto on the safety glasses. Never load without them....

Don't tell mom.

I have been using Frankford Arsenal collet bullet puller for couple hundred pulls. It works good and fast on end of 2x4. But I lose powder with it. I usually end up dumping the powder or throw back in for plinker loads.

What primer was it?
    When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

pulling bullets

if you run into an explosive bullet and use the impact it should be interesting!!!!
    I use the hornady lever puller.and the lead bullets[wc] run the case in the full length sizer to base of bullet the bullet will practacaly fly out then with the impact hammer.
    WILDCATT

I generally use an inerta puller for pistol rounds only. For rifle rounds or bullets with a large ojive/bearing surface I like the collet pullers better.
    I have used my RCBS inerta puller to pull a lot of pistol bullets with nary a problem.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    if you run into an explosive bullet and use the impact it should be interesting!!!!
    I use the hornady lever puller.and the lead bullets[wc] run the case in the full length sizer to base of bullet the bullet will practacaly fly out then with the impact hammer.
    an explosive bullet ????????

you been listening to the press ??
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine was pulling a 300 win mag round with one and after the BANG he only had a handle in his hand! Bits and pices everywhere....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have both types of bullet pullers and choose which to use depending on what and how many I need to pull. The collet works fine on rifle bullets but rarely on pistol.

If I only have a few rounds of rifle to pull, maybe ten or less, it will always be with the inertia puller. Even IF a cap should go off, there is, as Dale's friend found, zero chance of anything serious occurring with an uncontained cartridge. (Soiled pants are not "serious"!)

Only an impact or high heat can detonate a primer. The only way I can see that impact while pulling is if the primer was a loose fit in the pocket so it bounced-slid out and then slamed back onto the anvil with the next hammer strike.

I will continue to use my impact puller, in confidence.

Boolit Master
    AS 1hole said,heat or impact sets off a primer. I have used the inertia puller for those bullets that do NOT stick up enough to get a grip on with the pliers. The pliers are SO much quicker and quiter than the hammering.

I still use the wack bang, RCBS inertia puller, and I wack in on a lead ingot of approx 5 lbs, it works well
    TexRebel

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Boolit Buddy
    was this another FEDERAL primer problem. I love federal primers but there the only ones Ive had go of in my priming tray.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    an explosive bullet ????????

you been listening to the press ??
    No he hasn't.

A friend of mine dismantled an inertia hammer with one (Believe it was Austrian, but can ask if anybody is interested)

German "B-geschoss" and Russian "ZaRa" are the classics.

Kekkonen on the ZaRa: http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA15.html
    Last edited by Refraktorius; 10-08-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Just talked to him.

He said it was an

"8 mm M.30 S Hungarian Mannlicher" either a spotter or an API. No colour-coding was left on the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    Ever hear of a hangfire with a primer?
    I thought that hangfires were always caused by primers...usually poor seating or a lite pin strike is also involved.

That aside, the kinetic pullers scared the daylights out of me from the day I first got one over 20 years ago. In that amount of time, I have used it to pull all sorts of ammo apart. I've never had a mishap yet (knocking on wood). I'm still cautious with them & if I'm pulling a lot of shells apart, I dump the recovered powder into a sealed container whenever I get up to about 10 grains.

Carpetman is right,

I have unloaded 1000 rounds of .30 M2 Ball recently. Hardly any damage to the bullets. When pulling bullets from military sealed ammo, seat the bullets an extra 1/10" and the job becomes a lot easier.

I only pull pistol bullets with an inertia bullet puller.

Doug Bowser
    Doug Bowser
    Shooter of anything that has a trigger and shoots lead
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    NRA Instructor in pistol, rifle shotgun and Personal Protection
    NRA-USAS National Coach Development Staff
    NRA-USAS Level 2 International Pistol Coach
    President Mississippi NRA Association

In Remembrance

A tip to any inertia puller users. I put one of those disposeable E.A.R. plugs in the bottom of the chamber. It saves the bullet point and eases the force of the bullet/powder charge striking bottom. Myself I use a collet puller when needed and the inertia puller VERY seldom and usually ONLY for handgun rounds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Refraktorius View Post
    Just talked to him.

He said it was an

"8 mm M.30 S Hungarian Mannlicher" either a spotter or an API. No colour-coding was left on the bullets.

neither of those are "explosive bullets" one is a armour peircing, and the other is designed to be seen from a distance with a "mark" not designed to explode any thing.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I have a pair of pliers with wire cutters that someone tried to cut a bolt or nail with...took a good sized chunk out of one side of the cutter...works great with the press to pull bullets.
    Shotgun Luckey
    SASS #42629
    I'm not a top Cowboy Action Shooter, so I HAVE to look good doing it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    neither of those are "explosive bullets" one is a armour peircing, and the other is designed to be seen from a distance with a "mark" not designed to explode any thing.
    So right, but they still go impressively "bang" with considerable force and fragmentation, and in my world, that counts as "explosive". For those who experience them at close range, it probably does too.

Once dropped a .50 API projectile on a campfire, and walked away (just to see what would happen). Then spend some time being happy that I had the distance and putting the nice little fire back together.

As Forest Gump would say: "Explosive is what explosive does, sir!"

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

explosive

what ever you want to call them is all right by me.I dont know to much about them as I only work on Mg for a few yrs but did load 1000s of rds in belts for mine and other guns.50s and 30s.I have never had a rd or primer go of in 73 ys of reloading.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    "Why would a magnum primer not have enough flash to ignite the powder in front of the case?"

I have no idea why your fiend's impact puller set off the primer. But, they fact that the powder did not ignite isn't too surprising to me, it's a LOT harder to ignite and get complete burning from most smokless powders than many assume. And no static ignition is possible in a cartridge, all the metal components would be at the same potential, as in any voltage difference would be "shorted out."

Some guy posted maybe a year ago to ask if anyone had any suggestion for what he could do to keep him from hammering his impact puller upside down, he had busted two or three. I suppose dum IS going to hurt a little?