RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Guess who found a Doe Run artfact!

Guess who found a Doe Run artfact!

Found a single square lead block with Doe Run cast into the top at the scrap yard, had to rescue it. Along with an ingot stamped Chrysler Scrap lead. That ingot I need to figure out what it is. My hope is that the "scrap" is body lead which has tin in it. If not it will make a nice paper weight or book end since it is a nice looking ingot.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Hope it works out in your favor .Marvin

Does it look like the one I found a week or so ago.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats cool! I would save it even if it does have a high tin content.

The block on the upper right is like the one I found. I think it is section of a bar of connected ingots. Looks cut on both ends, and I have a few of those bars made up like a chocolate bar with little ingots.

Doubt the tin content would be all that high, body solder and radiator solder is only around 10% tin, maybe 15%. That is the problem with scrounging for lead, lot of cool stuff that is tough to melt down. Most pretty pewter no issue for me to make into a puddle lot of people collect it but some of the lead stuff feels like history that no one pays any attention to. I have some Bell System solder from when buried phone lines were inside lead tubes that had to be soldered together. Fairly high tin but also part of history.

You should check out the picture in the post on linotype that wouldn't melt. It was type with headline of D-Day invasion.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

My hometown is Ste Genevieve, MO which was founded by the French as a shipping port for lead. Through the years my grandfather, father and I found all sorts of lead bars and ingots in all sorts of places. When I'm gone and my kids clean out the shed they're going to find all kinds of interesting stuff and wonder "What the @#%& ????"