Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Remington RB #5.....lost or gone extractor

Boolit Buddy

Remington RB #5.....lost or gone extractor

Well, I have been cleaning and messing around with the #5 RB and after a thorough cleaning, I was going to put an empty shell in and snap the trigger. Well, then I notice.....no extractor. I know it had one, somewhere in this house, I guess I lost it somehow. I thought it was pinned in by a set screw or something. Anyway, unless someone out there has an extra one that they want to sell, I guess I will be looking at Numrich or Remington Rolling Block parts unless someone knows another place to find these parts. I cannot read the stuff on the tang, but looking on RRB parts #5 page, it seems that mine is the 1897, or at least that is what the screws on the side are telling me. Is this right? I have attached pics. I don't quite understand how this extractor fits in there. I know I replaced the one on one of my 43 egyptian #1's, but they are rotary, so they just mount on the large pin between the frame and the extractor block. The pic on the website shows a retaining screw. Hopefully, I will figure it out. On the left side of the frame, there is a screw that is at the upper left above the large pin for the extractor/firing pin block. Is this the screw that is supposed to hold in the sliding extractor?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0389 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	197024

Name:	IMG_0390 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	197025

Name:	IMG_0391 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	197026
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0388 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by shafer44; 06-05-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    if the rifle is chambered in 7mm Spanish, then the extractor is on the left side of the barrel at a position of about 7 o'clock, if it is 7mm the extractor is set up for rimless cases and is differen than one for rimmed cases, good luck, I had to make one for mine...

a place to look http://www.rollingblockparts.com/

If you never removed the extractor screw on the left side, then it never had an extractor. They wont fall out if the screw wasn't removed. If you remove that highest left side screw, you might find the other half of the extractor there if it broke off.

Boolit Buddy
    well, that is what i thought too. I removed the screw, whoever had this rifle 25 yrs ago before me must have had some problem and taken the barrel off.....WITH A PIPE WRENCH, NO LESS. Evidently, they could not make the barrel up tight, so they backed the barrel one round out and called it good. I took the screw out of the top left, which is SUPPOSED to hold the extractor letting it slide in and out between the stops on the extractor, well since the barrel was loose, I unscrewed it completely expecting to find a broken extractor half.....but no, there was nothing there. I do not know how that thing disappeared!! I remember 25 yrs ago taking the gun out and shooting it a few times and extracting my shells.????? Somewhere between the range and in my safe, the extractor gremlin attacked. Oh, well, it's only money......Remington Rolling Block Parts has one and it is ONLY $50!!

You can use the earlier extractor that Numrich sells. Might need a little fitting, but half the price at $28.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/54330.htm

A file and a dremel tool are all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by shafer44 View Post
    well, that is what i thought too. I removed the screw, whoever had this rifle 25 yrs ago before me must have had some problem and taken the barrel off.....WITH A PIPE WRENCH, NO LESS. Evidently, they could not make the barrel up tight, so they backed the barrel one round out and called it good. !!
    I wonder if they didn't swap barrels, and the new barrel didn't line up? I've taken a bunch apart with my barrel vise and wrench, and never had one that wouldn't line up again? I'd be taking a close look at the barrel and receiver before doing much to the gun. It will be way off correct headspace if the barrel is one thread out! Need to fix that before worrying about the ejector and anything else.

Boolit Buddy
    Marlinman93, thanks for the PM about the trigger spring, first off. I don't know why the person took the barrel off years ago. Once I removed the keeper screw for the extractor, I was able to unscrew the barrel by hand, as it was a full round out. I checked and no pieces fell out, so i do not know how the extractor was gone. I am divorced and single, so no one else would have messed with the rifle. Anyway, once i took the barrel off and cleaned threads, I took it to a gunsmith and I had it where it was lacking 1/4 turn to butt up, he was a strong dude and had it to within 1/16 of a turn just by hand. Once it was fully tightened and my sights on top were in the right position, then the rolling block easily slipped back into place and the groove matched up for the extractor. I think whoever did it years ago, probably did not check the threads for grit, it hung up 1/4 of a turn or more, so they just backed it out the other 3/4, covered the bbl with the wood pieces on top and bottom and called it good, then they sold it. Now, it is tight, has those pipe wrench marks, but that is covered by wood, and now I wait for an extractor. Man, I wish I had waited for your post about the $28 numrich one first. I ordered an original from Remington Rolling block parts for $50!! I may go ahead and order the one from Numrich, so that I have a backup for half the price. The man at RRparts told me the reproductions had to be hand fitted and the original would just drop in.

Glad to help shafer44!
    Likely they didn't own a barrel vise and action wrench, so couldn't get it locked up fully. I generally expect a barrel with clean, lightly oiled threads to hand tighten to about 1/8 turn of TDC. Then I put the barrel in the barrel vise, and my action wrench will bring it up fully without much pressure. I did have a Ballard I restored a couple decades ago, and when the freshly casehardened receiver came back it was a bit farther than 1/8 turn, and took some major pressure to index it. I thought about facing the barrel off where it buts to the receiver, but was afraid. It's very tight, but can't see any reason I'll ever remove the barrel in my lifetime!And it shoots great, so it didn't affect the accuracy!

Boolit Master
    MM93
    the extractor that Numerich has will not work for the 1897, No.5 Rolling block..the sliding extractor is for a 45-70, a rimmed ctg. the one needed for the 7mm Spanish is rimless and springs to the side to allow the extractor to ride over the ctg.
    The geometry is different also, as in the hook on the extractor is in a different position than the one for rimmed ctg's.
    I made one for an 1897 action for a 38-55, will not do it again, I have one of the early extractors for the No.1 like Num. sells and it would not line up to the block...reason for making a new one
    The 1897, No.5 action also has a larger thread dia than the No. 1 or 1905 model Rolling Block

Boolit Buddy
    4060May, that is what I was thinking. It would be nice if this fit, half price of what I am having to pay for an original. Oh, well, I guess if the one I get is a drop in with nothing supposedly to do except open my breech, remove the screw on the side plate, put the extractor in and put the screw back and hopefully good to go.