WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester Primer Question

Banned

Winchester Primer Question

I want to load some 44 mag for my Desert Eagle and I have Winchester WLP Primers. These primer s say "large Pistol for Standard or Magnum Loads. Can I use these with H110?

Your results may vary by I do all the time in .41mag and .480Ruger with good results.
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master

I do, but I use a 260g Lyman mold and a 300g NOE mold for mine. Heard that H110 can be a bit tricky under 240g's of lead.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    All Winchester primers contain an aluminum metallic fuel which scatters hot incandescent particles throughout the powder space to aid ignition. The product of an EFFECTIVE primer should be HEAT and NOT EXPLOSIVE FORCE! The Winchester primer mix is optimized for use with Ball (TM) or "spheroidal" (generic) powders, because after all Winchester invented it!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Man
    Yes you can and I do. I use standard large pistol primers with H110 in 44 mag as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I do it all the time. Just watch the load data on H110! It does NOT like below min.

I guess I'm the odd guy today, but I've had much better results using CCI or Federal magnum primers with H110. Winchester primers gave me lower velocities, higher extreme spreads, and spotty performance in general with 110.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Moderator Emeritus

I've used WLP's in .44 mag with H110/296 for a long time, and they've always done good for me. It's been a long time, but I tried some mag. primers and those, and couldn't see any difference in the accuracy, but this may not be true with your gun. The only way to know what YOUR guns wants to make it shoot its best is to try varying one thing at a time, and letting the GUN tell you what it wants to do its best work. I sure wish there was a shorter/easier way, but ..... there really isn't. And each gun is a law unto its own self, so .... no short way or across-the-board solutions really exist, though you'll see many advocating it in spite of the truth. What works for my gun, or anyone else's, may well NOT work in yours. This sure keeps shooting interesting!

Boolit Master

I do it often. I like Win primers, they seem to be softer than others and fire nicely.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    I believe most load data recommends mag primers with H-110. So that's what I use.
    Dan

Banned
    I loaded per my newest reloading manual 19 gr of 2400 with the 240 gr jacketed bullet. Its funny that the old book I believe showed 21 gr of 2400. I assume maybe the newer 2400 powder is different?

Boolit Master
    I assume maybe the newer 2400 powder is different?
    Or the lawyers are more prevalent? I've noticed reductions in most data from years back to current, as well as different numbers for the same powder/bullet combinations depending on the provider of the data.

I see so much discussion all the time about primers. I'm not very scientific I guess, I just put in primers, pull the trigger, rounds go bang. Works every time, I sure can't tell any difference between brands.

I do, of course, use the right TYPE of primer and powder for the load! I'm just not brand specific. They all work for me, whether pistol or rifle, regular or magnum.

Boolit Master
    Been using them with H110 for more than 2 decades to good effect, only large pistol primer I buy.