Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger quality has gone down the drain...check out their cobble job

Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    Ruger and quality can not be used in the same quote
    I beg to differ sir.

Boolit Grand Master
    Getting that way though. One of the last new Ruger #1's I bought would only fire about 1/3rd of the time. Sent it back on my dime (I know better now) and got it back "fixed". Now it fires half the time. An improvement I guess.

Swapped breechblocks with another #1 and it would fire every time.

Yes, It's a shame. I just Ordered / bought a Talo Vaquero BirdsHead that I sent back. Finish was rough and the frame screws and the recess holes were badly chattered up. Grips had an issue also. Ruger took care of the issues but a Talo should have never came that way. I wont order another Ruger and I'll only buy what I can touch and look at first from now on.
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Well, I'm done playing with it and will have to figure out what optic to put on it next and get it ready to shoot. When Ruger calls me Tuesday I'm going to have them fix the vaquero that was never called in that has a huge unfinished dull spot the size of my thumb on the barrel that needs polishing and has a defective factory grip.

I have been playing with the trigger all morning have it down to about a crisp 2.0 lbs or less at the lowest setting. Since it's so light I installed the trigger release back in it( I removed it because it is still rubbing a little and was driving me nuts). I Did some mods on the spring by cutting off a quarter of the coil at a time and ended up with removing approx 1.5 coils. I've adjusted about two dozen timney triggers and one of my best buds is a gunsmith who camps out at my house over deer season to hunt my property every year and gives me free lessons. I will have him give it a once over to check my homework before I head to the range. I slammed the bolt shut about a hundred times now and dropped it straight down letting the rubber butt hit the ground from about a two foot drop for a minute straight with no slam fires. I also polished the bolt with 600 grit sandpaper and mothers polish which removed 99% of the weird American bolt zipping noise when cycling the action. I feel good about the rifle now after my mods and repairs. Now if someone would make a metal magazine for it life would be good. There's way too much room and slop in the magazine. I will bet you'll see that shooters will have chambering and feeding issues because if this. There is not enough pressure to hold the bullets in place and have already slid foward by themselves in my first time loading. I saw a YouTube video to take the magazine apart and wind the spring tighter to aid feeding issues.

Attachment 196793Attachment 196794
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-03-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Well, I'm done playing with it and will have to figure out what optic to put on it next and get it ready to shoot. When Ruger calls me Tuesday I'm going to have them fix the vaquero that was never called in that has a huge unfinished dull spot the size of my thumb on the barrel that needs polishing and has a defective factory grip.

I have been playing with the trigger all morning have it down to about a crisp 2 lbs or less at the lowest setting. Since it's so light I installed the trigger release back in it( I removed it because it is still rubbing a little and was driving me nuts). I Did some mods on the spring by cutting off a quarter of the coil at a time and ended up with removing approx 1.5 coils. I've adjusted about two dozen timney triggers and one of my best buds is a gunsmith who camps out at my house over deer season to hunt my property every year and gives me free lessons. I will have him give it a once over to check my homework before I head to the range. I slammed the bolt shut about a hundred times now and dropped it straight down letting the rubber butt hit the ground from about a two foot drop for a minute straight with no slam fires. I also polished the bolt with 600 grit sandpaper and mothers polish which removed 99% of the weird American bolt zipping noise when cycling the action. I feel good about the rifle now after my mods and repairs.
    I understand how you feel..I've been doing Trigger Mods on all Ruger's Revolver's for years and that was the only thing needed to make them great shooters. Then the cylinder Chambers started needing honing so they would all match. These kind of issues you can't see, you have to check them once you get home but now it seems your lucky if when you open the box if it doesn't look used and abused coming straight from the wholesaler...But now that you have it like you want it should serve you well now... Good Luck..

Perma-Banned
    What is amazing is that people still pay way stupid money for these limited edition Ruger single shots. They have terrible wood, the insides are "as cast" and in useless chamberings. Why would anyone buy a #1 in 450 Bushmaster when an older one in 45-70 would probably cost less ? In the bolt guns, the same story, the tang safe guns are twice as good as the later ones.

Boolit Bub
    What would you guys say to someone who is thinking about a Ruger American Predictor in 6.5 Creedmore as an entry level long range rifle?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government.
    Thomas Paine

NRA, TSRA, TFC Member

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer58 View Post
    What would you guys say to someone who is thinking about a Ruger American Predictor in 6.5 Creedmore as an entry level long range rifle?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    I would buy a Howa 1500 or a Weatherby Vanguard series 2 instead. I looked at the Ruger American in 6.5 Creed, I didn't like it at all! I ended up buying the Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creed and absolutely love it!

Boolit Bub
    Man thats terrible

Banned

contray to what some think rugers aren't some high end brand. Ive had more quality control problems with ruger guns then all others combined. But then to be fair ive probably got more rugers then all others combined. Ive seen some rugers come out of that factory that really made me shake my head. All I can figure is the line inspectors must be allowed nap time during there shifts because some of it a blind man could have seen.

Boolit Master

Like a good friend said once in reference to Rugers Ranch rifle, "It's the only rifle in the firearms industry that comes from the factory already worn out."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    contray to what some think rugers aren't some high end brand.
    The old Rugers were/are. Most of The new stuff is pathetic at best

Banned

don't know about that even. The older model 77s were for the most part pathetic shooters compared to a 700 or 70. I also can give one example of a large framed older vaquero. I had the gun shop order me a 4 5/8s 45 colt and it came with the grove in the top strap cut so crooked that it went from the back right corner to the front left corner. Sent it back and they sent me a new one but how that gun got through quality control is beyond me. If anything ive found the newer production single actions better guns then the old ones. Only older rugers id ever claim to be any kind of a upper end gun were the #1s and the red labels. Even those older #1s had mixed accuracy but they were sure finished nicely and had great wood. Now I will say as far as single actions go the old 3 screw guns were fair guns. Lets not even talk about the first semi auto centerfires they made. Kind of reminded me of a 2x4 that shot bullets. shot about as well as if you used that 2x4 to bat bullets downrange too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponologist View Post
    I wont order another Ruger and I'll only buy what I can touch and look at first from now on.
    This is my feeling as well. And it's a shame because I own more Rugers than any other brand by a large margin. I understand they are built to a price point. This is perfectly acceptable. I'm choosing to not buy unless I can inspect it first.

The straw that broke the camel's back wasn't a quality issue. It's a design issue. Bought a RAR in 300 BLK. It has no iron sights yet has a stock comb designed for them. I know most don't take issue w/ this but I do. Put a proper stock or put irons on it.

I'm sure Ruger will get some of my money in the future. But I'm a lot more selective then I used to be.

Banned

I have zero issues with my LC9s Pros, LCRs, and LCP IIs.
    No issuses with my Blackhawks, but they always get tuned.
    Ruger .357 Redhawks, no problems
    I have a GP100 waiting to get tuned.
    Ruger American pistols, no problems
    I really don't have any problems with any of these handguns
    I own zero Ruger rifles
    I have no doubt there are problems there
    I love my Ruger handguns
    Bet your life reliable, for me at least

I have owned many Ruger firearms over the years, both rifle and handgun. The only Ruger I currently own is a MarkII competition in 22LR.
    For me, they just haven't worked well. Accuracy and function problems.
    There is one Ruger rifle I wish I had back. It was a stainless 77/22 from the second year of production and was superbly accurate. It left along with many other guns when the wife got sick.

Have several Ruger firearms, rifles and pistols from different eras and have nothing but good experiences. However i have heard of issues with the AR-556 and steel ammo. Every company has their issues, esp one that is leading the sector for years now in sales and new products

Perma-Banned
    don't know about that even. The older model 77s were for the most part pathetic shooters compared to a 700 or 70. I also can give one example of a large framed older vaquero. I had the gun shop order me a 4 5/8s 45 colt and it came with the grove in the top strap cut so crooked that it went from the back right corner to the front left corner. Sent it back and they sent me a new one but how that gun got through quality control is beyond me. If anything ive found the newer production single actions better guns then the old ones. Only older rugers id ever claim to be any kind of a upper end gun were the #1s and the red labels. Even those older #1s had mixed accuracy but they were sure finished nicely and had great wood. Now I will say as far as single actions go the old 3 screw guns were fair guns. Lets not even talk about the first semi auto centerfires they made. Kind of reminded me of a 2x4 that shot bullets. shot about as well as if you used that 2x4 to bat bullets downrange too.
    I never have liked their rifles, NONE of them. But the old 3 Screw revolvers i always felt were VERY nice solid old guns

contray to what some think rugers aren't some high end brand. Ive had more quality control problems with ruger guns then all others combined. But then to be fair ive probably got more rugers then all others combined. Ive seen some rugers come out of that factory that really made me shake my head. All I can figure is the line inspectors must be allowed nap time during there shifts because some of it a blind man could have seen.
    Hahaha, This is what I'm talking about. I always Tune my Ruger Revolvers and you would be surprised how many times I've cracked one open and had Polishing cone peace's fall out.... On one Vaquero I thought I had a broken spring because I couldn't cock the hammer but it was a large peace of cone stuck in the frame.... The Polishing Cones are used in a large vat where all the frames are Vibrated and cast lines polished away. This system is used a lot in the firearm production game I hear.. But like most of you I believe I find more problems because I buy more Rugers but it has gotten worse over the years...

I've not had to send a Ruger back; and most of the ones I've owned I bought used. I have seen tool marks and such but every single one Worked. But based on this thread I'll have the 2X readers on before I buy a new one.
    Best, Thomas.