MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 special in a rifle... Ruger 77/357?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Our Rossi .357 shoots 3x more .38s than .357s. 150 gr Lee SWC 3.8grs Bullseye is just pure fun and a small game harvester deluxe.
    Best, Thomas.
    My go to 38 load is a reeally old 358429 over 3.5gr bullseye. Works great in all my wheelguns, hope it works well in the rifle!
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

That's a very good price.

I found the bullet I got my deer with last season.
    Weighs 233 gr, originally 245

My .357 is a handi rifle, single shot. Has done 100 yard cloverleafs. Mostly I'm not good enough for it these days so it stays in the safe.

4.6 grains of Red Dot, .358 158 gr Round nose, CCI primer.

Quiet, I was shocked the first time I pulled the trigger. The WHAP at the far end of the range was louder.

And yes I have been considering a lever gun in .357. I have everything I need to feed it including .38 special brass.

Boolit Master
    I have the Marlin Carbine and a couple months ago I bought my girlfriend a Henry Big Boy in .357.
    They both feed .38 specials but they have to be seated out to maximum overall cartridge length.
    She went thru 150 rounds of .38 this past weekend.
    They were 158 gr Lee .358 that were powder coated , and loaded with 4.5 gr of Unique.
    Next thing I am doing is to teach her how to reload her own.
    And , Yes, she wants to learn.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
    600 even. I thought that was decent, it looks basically new. Once they were discontinued, prices went up
    And the moral of the story is: When you see a Ruger model you like, buy it now, it may not be there later. Back on topic: My 77/357 also has wild vertical swings in point of impact with wildly different loads. 38 wadcutter hits way below 357 158 gr. loads. Just the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    And the moral of the story is: When you see a Ruger model you like, buy it now, it may not be there later. ...snip...
    I found out this is the 2nd time Ruger has "temporarily discontinued" the 77/357. It was '06 or '08. They brought it back in '10. Maybe third time is the charm.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    I've loaded the Saeco #352 in 38spl brass. Makes for a hard hitting sub-sonic. Fun shooting a load where the WHACK is as loud as the bang. I've loaded them with as little as 4gr. of Unique for use in my 357 Handi but have settled on 4.5gr. I really enjoy both my Ruger 357/77 and 357 Handi along with several 357 caliber hand guns. Fun caliber. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by postban View Post
    I found out this is the 2nd time Ruger has "temporarily discontinued" the 77/357. It was '06 or '08. They brought it back in '10. Maybe third time is the charm.
    Remember Brian Pearce putting something in print about Ruger not producing the 77/22-Hornet-.357-.44 for a while because of some changes. Don't remember if they are moving manufacturing or ....?

Boolit Master
    You got a good rifle. I shoot the 158gr lee round nose pc'ed and loaded with 3 grains of bullseye from mine in 38's and I use the same bullet in 357 mag with 16.7 gr of h110. Both very accurate. It is by far my favorite rifle to shoot. I have been using a new load as of late with very good results using the same bullet and 10gr of win571. It seems to cycle the coonan well, and it's a mild target load in the revolvers as well.