Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: I've been away from CB for awhile....

Smile I've been away from CB for awhile....

When I read this thread:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-coat-to-stick

I feel that I need to share some thoughts....

I bought my first PC paint about 3 years ago from All Powder Paints LLC (St. Pete, FL.). Got 5 or 6 different colors, mostly on sale. I DO believe in using good paint to start with..I will not waste my time on Harbor Freight paints..

I've been doing the "Shake+Bake" method off and on since then.
    Got the Rubber Maid #5 bowls, the Crossman air soft BB's and all.

Lately I have been "Washing" off bullet lube from factory cast bullets that I have bought/traded for over a period of time. I then Powder Coat these and load as normal.

In the process of doing this, I came across (by accident no less) an interesting fact..
    I do NOT need ANY BB's in the bowl-AND-I do NOT need to shake more than 15 to 20 seconds to fully coat my bullets!!!

The "Trick" is to spray about 40-50 bullets at a time in my stainless steel mixing bowl with GumOut Carb/Choke cleaner, mix the bullets/cleaner around for awhile, and then heat (warm to touch) the bullets with my heat gun, to evaporate the cleaner+warm up the bullets.
    I then put the bullets in my #5 Rubber Maid bowl, with about 3 tablespoons of paint, cover, and just swirl/shake for 15-20 seconds==COMPLETELY coats the bullets!! In fact I have to roll the bullets (with blue gloves on) between my fingers to remove excess before I place them on my tray to bake.
    No more messing around with those little round BB's, or having to shake my arms off..

The Carb spray and heat works for me--Just be sure to use GOOD Paint...Bill.
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

How much thickness, exactly, are you adding?

Got any pictures of the casts?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    How much thickness, exactly, are you adding?

Got any pictures of the casts?
    Not really sure of the "Measured" thickness?? I DO know that I get total coverage on most-no gray lead specs showing through the paint.
    The last batch that I did was 158gr. Missouri Bullet Co. RN, that I soaked off the lube with solvent overnight, and did the paint as described above. I ran them through a .358" Lyman size die after, and did not remove much paint..Still could not see lead on the sides. On my Lyman 450 LuberSizer I removed the linkage to push the bullet back up, and I push the bullet all the way through the size die-have a chute under, with a clear plastic hose to go to a bucket to the right of my bench, on to the floor.
    I'll try to get some pics. up...Bill.
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue