Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Mag 7.5" SBH's- Bisley VS. Standard grips???

Boolit Man
    NOT a Bisley fan. Had one in .44 magnum- I could not shoot it as well as I could shoot my regular Blackhawks ( though they were in .45Colt, with some of those Blackhawk/Contender ONLY loads ). I'd had one of those bisley .44 Specials from Lipsy's , back when they came out; shot well enough, but didn't care for it. Did get a Freedom Arms model 83 in .454 Casull , and really like the somewhat longer ( like a SBH ) gripframe, but with the round triggerguard instead of the squared off one which appears on the 7 1/2" ( and longer) barrel SBHs . My 5 1/2 " SBH suits me fine, but I shoot my Super Redhawk better- huge and ugly though it is. Some times looks aint everything!

Boolit Buddy

I have the SBH with the 7.5 barrel, plow handle grip,the rear of the trigger guard being square really gets into my finger on heavy recoil. I installed an oversized grip and have been incredibly happy with the gun ever since. ( Thanks Chuckbuster)I have supreme confidence in the accuracy of this gun as well.

I've had a couple of SBH's with the Dragoon grip frame and they beat the devil out of my middle finger. Have a Bisley now, and it is a thousand percent better. I might would consider a SBH with a round trigger guard, but I'll never have another square back.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Grand Master

The actual grip panels will make a difference. Shooting my Ruger Blackhawk (1970 3 screw) 357 magnum with the factory wood or the smooth elephant ivory grips ( made when it was legal ) left a lot to be desired...hard to hold onto . A set of checkered plastic grips that are just a bit thicker makes a huge difference in control. Mine has the round trigger guard and doesn't beat my knuckles up at all .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    OK Rebel: I have tried both and I like the Bisley. Had a super black hawk and the trigger guard beat my middle finger silly. Put pachmayers on it to fill the gap behind the trigger and that worked ok but the pachmayers were sticky enough that they would rub a blister in the palm of my hand. Might have been able to fix it with a wood grip of the same shape but it went down the road. Currently have a sbh bisley hunter and it doesn't beat me up nearly as bad. I also have a bisley blackhawk in 45 LC that is also pleasant to shoot. I'm over in broken arrow, drop me a pm if you want to try them.
    siamese4570

FWIW, I had a blue NMSBH for a while that came with the factory grips. The square back trigger guard banged my middle finger every time it fired. Put on a pair of the Hogue finger groove rubber-whatever grips and didn't like them either. Looked into having it converted to a Bisley frame and it was too much $$$ for me. I've had a Dan Wesson 6" 44 for years with the factory walnut grips and I can shoot it just fine. Would like to try a Bisley some day, especially one of the new BFR's in 500JHR!

Boolit Master

Do not like the Bisley grip shape AT ALL. Much prefer to have the 1873 "something" at the bottom of the grip to raise the muzzle to level when the elbow is locked out. Note that the 1911 started out more like a Bisley and ended up more like a Peacemaker with the addition of the arched MSH on the 1911-A1. I also never had that "Glocks point high" problem so many complain about.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

seems like when it comes to the bisleys it is love or hate. if I got one and later decided I didn't want it anymore, are the grip frames available from ruger (or anyone) to make it a plowhandle?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bisley for sure fits my hand better
    never had a problem with full power loads in
    any other configuration of grips I had though
    just prefer the Bisley over all others in a single action
    Last edited by white eagle; 05-08-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    seems like when it comes to the bisleys it is love or hate. if I got one and later decided I didn't want it anymore, are the grip frames available from ruger (or anyone) to make it a plowhandle?
    You buy a stainless Bisley, and decide you don't like it, I'll trade you the plow-handle grip frame from my 5.5" SBH (it's the round trigger guard) for the Bisley grip frame.

It's my understanding that the grip frame can be changed but the trigger has to be changed as well because its a little different than the standard.

Boolit Master
    You would not have any problem finding someone who would trade parts with you. The Bis conversions are quite popular and WTB's for the parts are common occurances on the Ruger board

Boolit Buddy
    I have eight Bisleys from 22 to 480. I like the grip frame better than any I've tried and find I shoot them well and for me they handle recoil much better than standard grip frames. I got rid of most of my centerfire single actions that were not Bisleys. The only plow handle single actions I have are my old Single Six and three Herters Powermags and they are considerably longer and larger than most plow handle grips.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Master

My round trigger guard Super Blackhawk would be out the door in a New York Minute if I could use it to trade toward a Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned
    I have large hands and both SBH & Bisley in 44 are painful to shoot with factory grips. I put a Hogue grip on the SBH and now love it. If someone has found a good bisley grip for big hands please PM me with info.

Boolit Master
    I have a Bisley, Standard Blackhawk and Redhawk, all in .41 mag. My favorite is the Bisley but with an explanation. First I have reasonable large thin fingered hands. The Bisley is a comfortable grip when shooting paper slowly. I can say the Bisley with a 7 1/2 barrel has about the same felt recoil to me as the Redhawk with 5 1/2" barrel. The .41 doesn't kick too bad, one reason I like it so much. It's even bearable in my little slick top 4" S&W model 58.

The biggest difference that I like between the std and Bisley Blackhawks it the steel frame the Bisley comes with. The fit and finish of the Bisley is an order of magnitude better than the aluminum framed Blackhawk. The added weight of the steel frame makes it more controllable than the aluminum frame. I think the weight makes more difference than the grip shape. My hands do prefer the added length of the Bisley grip when compared to the standard frame but my real favorite is the S&W with finger notch Pachmayr presentation grips.

alright, thanks a lot guys, siamese4570 and bookworm, thankyou for the kind offers. before I am ready to buy I might pm you 4570. thanks again-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.