Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 35 whelen and 1:12 twist

even that's probably a bit optimistic
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned

the 009 ain't happy at that speed it relies on the nose too much.
    keep it around 19-2100 and you got a winning combination.

ok, I just got that number from an article, "35 whelen, best cartridge of the 20th century" by fryxell I believe. he had about 8-10 loads in the back and one was 62grs of ww760 for 24??fps w/358009

Banned

it's achievable just not a great idea.

as an FYI.
    right now Glen is working on a 6.5 project poking a 160gr boolit along at about 2000 fps. in a milsurp rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    ok, I just got that number from an article, "35 whelen, best cartridge of the 20th century" by fryxell I believe. he had about 8-10 loads in the back and one was 62grs of ww760 for 24??fps w/358009
    Could that have been Paco Kelly?
    A deplorable that votes!

Banned
    OK Rebel,

Tell me how the .35 Whelen stacks up against the 9.3x62. = Personally, I've seen NO Whelen loads that even come close to equaling the factory loads for the 9.3x62, without "going crazy" with loads for the .35 that MAY be overtly dangerous in an ordinary rifle.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    OK Rebel,

Tell me how the .35 Whelen stacks up against the 9.3x62. = Personally, I've seen NO Whelen loads that even come close to equaling the factory loads for the 9.3x62, without "going crazy" with loads for the .35 that MAY be overtly dangerous in an ordinary rifle.

yours, tex
    Based on Nosler data for a 250 grain, they are equal, with their loads for the Whelen developing more, although meaningless, velocity.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

yes it was a paco Kelly article. I was going to get a cz550 FS 9.3, the only thing is the short case neck, is there any problems with having the base of the boolit sticking into the case a little?

Some think so.

Banned
    5shot,

With 250 grain bullets, you are about 99% correct.

The .35 Whelen doesn't do well (in my experience) with the best big game bullet for the 9.3x62mm, IF your quarry is larger than WT. = 286 grain bullet in GCCB, JHP or SOLID.
    (I find that using a Remington pump-rifle, there is considerable difference in killing power on big game with the 9.3x62 AND the 9.3 seems to recoil less in the same sort of rifle.)

My 9.3x62mm is a re-bored by JES, long-action Model 760 & it's one of my "treasures" that $$$$$$$ won't buy.
    Fwiw, I was lucky enough to find it for about the same price as a "Plain Jane" Remington Model 760 from a small-town MS pawn shop. I was also lucky that a GREAT member of this form sold me an old-school REDFIELD 2.5X scope, too.
    (That rifle will be THE rifle that will go to Africa with me next fall to try to take a Leopard, Cape Buffalo & other smaller game AND to Europe to hunt Red Deer, Moose & Russian Boar. ===> IF I miss with it, it's MY fault.)

Note: The .35 Whelen is NOT acceptable for "Dangerous Game" in Africa (& the ammunition is hard to find, other than in the USA & Canada).
    IF a person plans to ever hunt in Europe or Africa it is MY OPINION that the 9.3x62 is THE caliber for big game hunting Worldwide.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 04-03-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: addenda

Note: The .35 Whelen is NOT acceptable for "Dangerous Game" in Africa (& the ammunition is hard to find, other than in the USA & Canada).
    IF a person plans to ever hunt in Europe or Africa it is MY OPINION that the 9.3x62 is THE caliber for big game hunting Worldwide.

yours, tex
    I do agree with that point, but I will likely never make it to Africa. Even with a 280 grain Swift bullet, the Whelen can develop over 2500 fps, which is still right with the 9.3.

Banned
    5shot,

Inasmuch as prices for hunting in Eastern Europe & Africa are COMING DOWN (especially if you look carefully for "last minute hunts"), it's NOT a great deal more expensive to hunt there than to get a lease in TEXAS.
    (A Red Deer "fair chase hunt" in Texas is almost as expensive as hunting the same trophy in Moldova, Ukraine or Russia & including LOTS of hunting for Russian Boar, wolves & other game in Eastern Europe.)

I am, as a retired soldier, FAR from RICH.

just my OPINION, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 04-03-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: punctuation

The 310 gr NOE 360-310 FN "35 Thumper" boolit fits all of the base and gas check in the case neck of a 35 Whelem. I get about 2100 FPS with it for now, (still working on that) in a 1-12 twist.
    A deplorable that votes!

5shot,

Inasmuch as prices for hunting in Eastern Europe & Africa are COMING DOWN (especially if you look carefully for "last minute hunts"), it's NOT a great deal more expensive to hunt there than to get a lease in TEXAS.
    (A Red Deer "fair chase hunt" in Texas is almost as expensive as hunting the same trophy in Moldova, Ukraine or Russia & including LOTS of hunting for Russian Boar, wolves & other game in Eastern Europe.)

I am, as a retired soldier, FAR from RICH.

just my OPINION, tex
    Maybe after I retire, but for now, taking a family vacation to Disney World (out of state) is about all I can afford and that took us many years to accomplish. Braces, cars, college, HEALTH CARE, etc. take all our $$$$. I went with the Whelen because I already had one. My next step will be a 375 HH - just because. I have no use for one, but think it would be awesome to have for the nostalgia. If, and it is a HUGE if, I ever make it to Africa, I'll be covered.

Sorry for the drift...

Banned
    5shot,

Well, I'm a "certified OF" at 70YY, an "addict" of Model 760 pump-rifles (I now have six of them from .244 Remington to, SOON, .400-BWI.), eat/sleep/dream of big-game hunting, am buying yet another one & this one will also go to JES to be converted to a .400 Brown-Whelen Improved.
    (That is a THUMPER for sure, as it's the "ballistic twin" of the well-regarded .404 Jeffery's.)

ImVho, JES's work on such conversions is FLAWLESS. = I would take neither love nor money for my 760 in 9.3x62mm.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 04-04-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling

well, I think you have convinced me to stick with the cz550 9.3X62 does anyone know what the twist rate is on those? and also, id like to hear/ learn more about the short neck, and possibly having to seat the bullet past the neck into the cartridge a little. I do it in my sks with the lee 312-185, pretty much only the gas check sticks in, but I haven't had problems with that.

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

I'm FAR from an expert on reloading (I'm MOSTLY a hunter/shooter, though I do reload a considerable number of GCCB for general hunting.) but every reloading expert (whom I know) says that the so-called "short neck" of the 9.3x62 Mauser is NOT really an actual problem.

IF I was not a left-handed guy, I would likely own a CZ550 and/or one of the VERY nice/used BA rifles that are coming into the USA from abroad.
    (One vendor at the last "big" SA Gun Show had at least a dozen REALLY HANDSOME rifles from northern Europe for sale at attractive prices.)

YES, I know that CZ makes some BA rifles in LH but they are more money than I choose to spend for a hunting rifle. = The .375 H&H is over 1500.oo at MSRP, with a "street price" of about 1300.oo.
    (Also. I'm "used to" shooting/hunting with my Remington Model 760 pump-guns.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 04-06-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add

does anyone know the rate of twist in the CZ 550FS 9.3X62? I cant find it?

Boolit Master
    1:14 according to their website. I have not measured mine.

oh ok, I must have missed it. thank you for looking!