Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one .45 revolver.........

625 model of 1989
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

....Yes, I would go with the Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    4 inch Smith and Wesson 25-5. Mines got correct throats and is a dream to shoot.

Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W 25-5 4in-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	191751
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Blackhawk convertible. You can send a convertible back to Ruger and get a cylinder replaced, so send it back in with the 45 Colt cylinder as the only cylinder, ask them to fit a replacement 45 ACP cylinder to the gun, when you get it back you can convert one of the 45 ACP cylinders to 45 Schofield and now you got 3 calibers in the same gun!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Another BlackHawk here. Its not my only .45 colt revolver, but its the last one that I would part with,

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Blackhawk convertible. You can send a convertible back to Ruger and get a cylinder replaced, so send it back in with the 45 Colt cylinder as the only cylinder, ask them to fit a replacement 45 ACP cylinder to the gun, when you get it back you can convert one of the 45 ACP cylinders to 45 Schofield and now you got 3 calibers in the same gun!!
    Can you shoot 45 Schofield out of the 45 colt cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

The 5.5" SS Bisley is a great gun.
    If your LGS can't get one, just head over to Gun Broker and get one transferred in.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by trentvb View Post
    Can you shoot 45 Schofield out of the 45 colt cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you want accuracy to suffer from firing it in a cylinder with unsupported freebore like using 38 special in a 357 cylinder you could.

The OP's topic says "If you could only have one revolver" but it didn't say it was limited to the number of cylinders it could have!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-25-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Of the current models you mentioned I would vote for the Ruger combination. I have no complaints about mine, but as others have mentioned the M1917 is a great choice for the 45 acp. I like the S&W version just fine, but I like the Colt just a little better.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Based on your description of intended use, I would focus on the 45 ACP capability over and above the ability to shoot other cartridges. I have owned several of the the dual cylinder, single action 45s and find that for an enjoyable the day at the range 45 ACP suits the bill better than 45 Colt or one of the other, more exotic, 45 cartridges. My dual cylinder guns end up running almost exclusively in ACP mode.

I would go with a 625JM unless you had a real hankering for a single action.

-ktw

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I bought a 45 Colts BlackHawk shopped around scored a 45 ACP cylinder and it came up .004 short ....... Everything timed right just ,thaaat much short . Not the worst $75 I ever spent . Last spring I gave $20 for another that was too long by about the depth of machine marks and bluing . Timing is dead on , maybe better than the Colts cylinder that came in it . I've made arrangements to have the first ACP cylinder cut for Schofield .

That said , I got the itch for a Colts in a double action after a 1917 S&W fell in my lap . The 5.5" above is too nice an untouched example to ream and mess up . The 3" below has been hacked a lot . As long as we have the Schofield reamer may as well do 12 as 6 .

Attachment 191785

If I could only have 1 of the 3 ? The BlackHawk no doubt about it .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance
    How about the Ruger super redhawk in 454 casull. shoot 45 colt for mild recoil. Shoot 454mild loads for plinking and practice or stoke em up for hunting and other "serious" work. Tank strong and more accurate than I am. Scope mounts made in to top for ease of scope mounting. Comfortable for me to shoot with light loads, manageable with full power loads.

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    4 inch Smith and Wesson 25-5. Mines got correct throats and is a dream to shoot.

Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W 25-5 4in-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	191751
    I've got a 4" 25-7 MG and I agree. I've got a 44 and 2 357's, but if I could only have one it would be that 25.

Boolit Master
    I also have a model 25 mountain gun with the 4" barrel in 45 Colt, I've had the cylinder cut for moon clips so I can shoot 45 ACP's and it shoots them very well. But in your case I would still go with the Bisley because you could buy 2 of them for the price of one of the S&W mountain guns.

Boolit Master

I would go with the Bisley convertible if you want the most bang for your buck. But I love a good Smith & Wesson. Here is my Bisley and 625-8 converted to 45 Colt.

Boolit Buddy
    While there're all great, and all have their own place, for versatility I vote the Redhawk.

I've had a Blackhawk, but really prefer fixed sights on a revolver, especially a single action, so it went down the road. I have a S&W Model of 1950 and the new version 22-4, both excellent and will not leave as long as I'm breathing.

I also have the Redhawk, only a couple complaints with it, it has adjustable sights, had to have the cylinder throats done by DougGuy, and for me, some of the 45colt loads that are ok/comfortable in my Vaquero, are just plain painfull in the Redhawk.

BUT, pros are that I shoot 45 Schofield, 45Colt and in MoonClips I shoot 45acp, 45 Super and 45 Win Mag brass (loaded to Schofield range) in mine. They all shoot well and have shown acceptable accuracy for me. It's fun to shoot and not incredibly heavy. In a good holster it packs well.

It still come down to what your personal preferance is. I like fixed sights best so I carry my S&W 22-4, or my 3" Vaquero 45acp most often.
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 03-28-2017 at 05:35 PM.

I would love to have an S&W M1917.

It would compliment my love of Government models.

The Model 25 is a close second.

Josh

Groo here
    I would get a S&W m-25/325/625 45acp.
    The guns are accurate, will shoot any 45acp, can shoot auto-rim [for heavy loads] and can shoot 45 super.
    The only thing the 45 colt has over the 45 acp is heavy bullets in larger frame guns [ruger Blackhawk,Redhawk etc] but they kick.
    I have the colt and acp and find the acp to be more accurate,

Ruger midframe Blackhawk convertible unless you have a want/need to shoot Ruger Only loads. Then get the Bisley standard Blackhawk.

Then there is always the Freedom Arms 97 in 45 Colt w/45auto cylinder if you must.

Moderator Emeritus

Dan Wesson pistol pack 45. I have seen one and it was not for sale. I will buy the next one I see.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze