RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Tek question

Boolit Master

Hi Tek question

Hypochondriac here, I made these up last night and did the rub test today with acetone. Some did come off on the paper towel but not a lot. I assume I'm good to shoot these?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Load some up and see how they do. I have seen a little rub off and the bullets shoot fine. Did you notice any color come off the bullets? What about the smash test?
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Just what is in the photo. Nothing flaked off with the smash test.

"Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Load them up and shoot! Wouldn't load a bunch until you find out how they do. You might post this in the simple hi-tek thread. That is where all the experts hang out.

Boolit Master
    Almost forgot,according to Hi-Tek Joe some paper towels have abrasives in them. Try a cleaning patch.

Boolit Master
    Looks good to go to me.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Well I ended up taking some out shooting today. I just got home and spent about a half of an hour removing the lead that was in the barrel. I think I messed up on the coating. Upon further inspection of the bullet I noticed these after the sizing operation.

I think the size removed some of the coating.

​Mentor

Boolit Master

You're cutting your sprue way to early.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    Yup. These are still the same ones though.

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Few questions here ? Is that two coats? Did you double check the temp on your oven ? do you have the right size bullet for your barrel?

Boolit Master
    Yes 2, set it at 400 but it could be off and I sized .358 bullets with 2 coats down from .361 to .358

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Perhaps I should take my bullet that drops at 358 size it to 356 coat it then size it to 358

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Bullet drops at .361
    Do 1 coat.
    Size to .358
    Do second coat.
    Load and shoot.

Looks like it was bloody hard to size??
    Use some HITEK Aqua 500 (or is it 5000? I can't remember) sizing lube to make sizing easy.
    What calibre are you loading?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Sorry to clarify 9mm bullet drops at 358. 361 is after 2 coats. No harder to size than other lead bullets I do. Guess I should melt them down and start over again.

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy
    I usually do two light coats then size with the Aqualube 5000. Usually don't need a third coat. I'm sizing at .356 for my Glocks.

Boolit Master
    Don't sweat melting them down. I melted quite a few batches I messed up. If you don't have one go to wal-mart to the automotive section and but a multimeter. Make sure it measures temp. It will come with a thermocouple.Slide that thing inside your oven where the bullets lay and see what temp you get. (the thermocouple not the multimeter) Dials and those little oven thermometers won't get it done. The temp is critical to this stuff working. Follow the instructions and you will be ok. On page seven Ausglock posted instructions for the coating. I think it is for the liquid but other than mixing everything else should be the same. The thread is called Hi-Tek do's and don'ts.

Boolit Buddy
    I normally coat once then size and do a final coat to cover any blemishes from lead flash etc from poorly cast bullets or roughness from an unpolished die.
    I used to get leading problems like that from not getting the bullets dry enough before baking them in the oven because I'm in a fairly humid spot. I now dry them at 40c for 10 mins before I bake and my problems have gone.

Boolit Master
    Ok so a gizmo to measure temp and i could lightly coat these and should be ok.

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    I would really encourage you to read the instructions. The heat is important but, you have drying time,making sure you mix is right,even the swirling of the bullets. Don't get me wrong this stuff is not hard to do but you have to follow the instructions. There are some videos on youtube you might watch. Learn all you can.

Boolit Master
    I have read them but didn't think my heat wouldn't be accurate but will check. I kept reading looking for sizing and didn't see anything that would have told me to do it differently. It's not all in the instructions. Trial and error. Thank you for the advice.

​Mentor