RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: 40 cal

Boolit Bub

40 cal

Hi
    just casted an resize some 40 cal now i will reloading the 40s monday i will go to the range
    i will try some titegroup 4.7gr with a lee 175gr tc

Boolit Buddy
    Some alloys like to sit a few days to completely harden before sending them down the barrel.

Boolit Master
    I shoot that Boollit over 4 gr of HP-38. I do use a Lyman M die to expand the case, and a PB GC on the boollet. No leading.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds reasonable. Are you lubing with Alox? I use that bullet with powder coat and really like it. Every gun I've tried it in seems to perform well.

Boolit Bub

I been useing carnauba red lube star resizer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 4006 View Post
    Hi
    just casted an resize some 40 cal now i will reloading the 40s monday i will go to the range
    is this published data ? just my opinion but 4.7 titegroup seems a tad warm . I only load 4.5 gr of titegroup in 357 mag lead bullet loads . not trying to rain on your parade or anything ,just don't wanna see anyone get hurt .

That Lee is perfect in my XD40. Never had any issues with leading and I run 5 grains unique which seems like a great load. I also lube with Lee liquid Alox tumble lube. This load will group In one inch at 15 to 20 yards as long as I do my part.

This XD is the first pistol except for the 22lr pistols I have had that will group and function so reliable. Also ALL the brass lay in a 2 feet group just to the right of me and close.

The Lee 175 grain TC is an excellent boolit and I purchased the 6 hole mold which gives me a pile pretty fast.

Don't know about the "tightgroup" powder tho ... Should get some and give it a try.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 4006 View Post
    Hi
    4.7 is the max load for a 180 gr. bullet, you might want to drop down to 4.0 to start.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I shoot that Boollit over 4 gr of HP-38. I do use a Lyman M die to expand the case, and a PB GC on the boollet. No leading.
    What COL are you using with this boolit if you dont mind me asking? I have been having a little trouble getting it running in my G22 with a Lonewolf barrel.

Boolit Master
    Not sure on that data for titegroup. That powder isn't listed in Lymans for a 175. Hodgden sight only gives data for jacketed in the 40. 165gr data goes to 5.1, but 180gr stops at 4.7gr. I was working up a load yesterday in the 40, and plenty in forums warn against titegroup in the 40. Ones I fired worked, theres just not much of a window, .5gr spread on hodgden. Apparently bullet set back is the big worry. Running max makes it more of an issue.

I was working with a 200gr, a weight plenty seem to have issues using in a 40. I was looking for a load to keep a 200gr subsonic in a Kel tech 16in barrel. I tried titegroup, worked, gun cycled. But im not usually comfortable running a max load. So tried a couple other powders and finally went with universal. Gave me the velocity I wanted with plenty of room to spare in the data.

I use 4.5 of hp38, even with (really) soft alloy no problems PB, no GC.
    Whatever!