WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Ammoplant questions...

Boolit Master

Hornady Ammoplant questions...

In another ongoing thread about progressives I decided I needed(wanted) an indexing progressive, so I am interested in the Dillon 650 or the Hornady Ammoplant.

I already have a 550, so I can still use some of my conversion pieces...but the Ammoplant has a bulletfeeder which is interesting, which has led me to more research. Both the 650 and the Ammoplant are in the $1100 range...all loaded out...

Per Hornady's 2016 product catalog, there is a pistol bullet and rifle bullet feeder. They are separate entire machines, not just a "plate" to swap. So...this press is going to be for 9, 223, and 308. What diffrentiates if the bullet will feed or not? I am guessing the length...

But my main question...

In the product manual it clearly states that cast bullets cannot be used in any Hornady bullet feeder, and no plated bullets in the pistol feeder. Has anyone used these with cast bullets? Why wouldn't they work?

If I can't use cast bullets in a bullet feeder, then it's a waste...and the bullet feeder is what's possibly swaying me over to the Ammoplant.

Boolit Master
    Whoa...I don't think the bullet feeders are worth the money...

.223 Rifle bullet feeder is $333 at MidwayUSA...

.30 caliber rifle conversion is $117 at MidwayUSA...

That's after the $1100 for the Ammoplant with the pistol bullet feeder...

Little discouraged about the Ammoplant. The 650 is looking better everyday...

I would still like to know why you can't use cast or plated bullets in the Hornady bullet feeder?

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    In another ongoing thread about progressives I decided I needed(wanted) an indexing progressive, so I am interested in the Dillon 650 or the Hornady Ammoplant.

I already have a 550, so I can still use some of my conversion pieces...but the Ammoplant has a bulletfeeder which is interesting, which has led me to more research. Both the 650 and the Ammoplant are in the $1100 range...all loaded out...

Per Hornady's 2016 product catalog, there is a pistol bullet and rifle bullet feeder. They are separate entire machines, not just a "plate" to swap. So...this press is going to be for 9, 223, and 308. What diffrentiates if the bullet will feed or not? I am guessing the length...

But my main question...

In the product manual it clearly states that cast bullets cannot be used in any Hornady bullet feeder, and no plated bullets in the pistol feeder. Has anyone used these with cast bullets? Why wouldn't they work?

If I can't use cast bullets in a bullet feeder, then it's a waste...and the bullet feeder is what's possibly swaying me over to the Ammoplant.
    I have (2) ammo plants. (Well, one that came as an ammo plant, and one that I added the case and bullet feeders).

If you already have a 550, and you're happy with the Dillon products, I'd go for the 650. I have zero experience with Dillon presses, but I can tell you that Hornadys can be finicky. Nothing that can't be resolved, but sometimes a PITA.

As for the bullet feeder, I am under the impression that they don't want you to use cast because of the mess of the lube. (Obviously not an issue with PC bullets). I suppose it could have to do with tolerances within the feed die, as cast bullets tend to be slightly larger. But I don't know.

I did not know they didn't want the use of plated bullets in the pistol feeder... I've loaded thousands without issue. Ignorance is bliss? LOL

Good luck.

Unless you have only one arm I suggest that you consider using a Hornady ap but only use the bullet collator and feed shells by hand. This gives our left hand something to do, while also providing a chance to inspect and touch each shell going in. The dirty bullets can be handled by the bullet collator. Then, take the Hornady bullet feed die and drop kick it into your neighbors yard. Actually you won't have bought one in the first place. That thing is garbage and that's why it won't feed lead bullets. Instead duct tape the collator output hose to a mr billet feeder die from double alpha. These dies make 1000% more sense and work great with any type thing that's roughly the shape and size of a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I have (2) ammo plants. (Well, one that came as an ammo plant, and one that I added the case and bullet feeders).

If you already have a 550, and you're happy with the Dillon products, I'd go for the 650. I have zero experience with Dillon presses, but I can tell you that Hornadys can be finicky. Nothing that can't be resolved, but sometimes a PITA.

As for the bullet feeder, I am under the impression that they don't want you to use cast because of the mess of the lube. (Obviously not an issue with PC bullets). I suppose it could have to do with tolerances within the feed die, as cast bullets tend to be slightly larger. But I don't know.

I did not know they didn't want the use of plated bullets in the pistol feeder... I've loaded thousands without issue. Ignorance is bliss? LOL

Good luck.
    luck is right, how you've loaded thousands of anything without issue using a Hornady bullet feed die is incomprehensible to me. I tried everything even swapping the parts around inside the die, turned them upside down and reversed them, all of which produced about the same results of 50-90% working. They rely too much on bullet consistency and overhead weight etc.

It's not the dies I've had trouble with, it's the collators. They're a REAL pita to set up, so I got rid of those and picked up a bunch of clear aquarium tubing that I stick into the the tops of the die.

FWIW, I've only loaded 40 S&W using the Hornady feeder dies, though I have (unused) dies for 38/357, 9mm, and 45.

Boolit Master
    Dillon 650 and go happy!

Boolit Master
    I'm a true Blue Dillon guy. But if you look objectively at the 650/Hornady comparisons on old threads you will see that at the end of the day the Dillon and Hornady are about equal. They are just different in their specific quirks.

The way I look at it is, why change brands unless the different one offers significant advantages?

That's a decision only you can make.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

I have several presses with bullet feeders, that I use with cast bullets. However, I only have one Hornady bullet feeder and that is just the "dropper" portion or die, the collators I make my own collators. I have only used the Hornady feed die with plated bullets but it worked fine with them.

There are issues with cast bullets and some collators and feeders though, at the top of the list will be the lube. GSI sells a powder that allows wax lubed bullets to work with their collators but the other manufacturers I guess felt they could never get them to work reliably.

The feeders I use with cast bullets are the GSI brand and as I said I have built my own collators and they work without needing any extra "prep" but you do have to clean more often than using plated or jacketed. The catch is that GSI bullet feeders are only available for Dillon presses.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have several presses with bullet feeders, that I use with cast bullets. However, I only have one Hornady bullet feeder and that is just the "dropper" portion or die, the collators I make my own collators. I have only used the Hornady feed die with plated bullets but it worked fine with them.

There are issues with cast bullets and some collators and feeders though, at the top of the list will be the lube. GSI sells a powder that allows wax lubed bullets to work with their collators but the other manufacturers I guess felt they could never get them to work reliably.

The feeders I use with cast bullets are the GSI brand and as I said I have built my own collators and they work without needing any extra "prep" but you do have to clean more often than using plated or jacketed. The catch is that GSI bullet feeders are only available for Dillon presses.
    curious that they haven't introduced other compatibility yet isn't it? Lots of opportunity missed there.

Boolit Buddy
    Dillon is offering Mr Bulletfeeder on their website. It is expensive and caliber conversions aren't cheap either. The problem with it that if you do seating and crimping separately you would have to sacrifice powder check. I'd rather have powder check on my setup. Just this past weekend I've decided to do a "speed test" on my 650 - I was able to crank out a 100 rounds in 6 min ! If you have bullet tray your hand movement is minimal.

The problem with it that if you do seating and crimping separately you would have to sacrifice powder check.
    Another bonus of the GSI feeders, you can seat then crimp in two stations and keep a powder check die.

Just this past weekend I've decided to do a "speed test" on my 650 - I was able to crank out a 100 rounds in 6 min !
    Thats not bad at all but with a bullet feeder 100 rounds can be loaded in under 4 minutes but more importantly it's a ​lot less work.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post

But my main question...

I use the bullet feeder it took some time but I got coated cast bullets to work. Tradition lubed bullets will work but you will have lots of issues with stopages due to wax buildup in the collets portion of the bullet feed dies. (Die uses 2 collets)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

There is a video on modifying the bullet dies on you tube. They will feed cast with lube grooves but it has too be a stiff lube not to tacky.

Boolit Master
    cranking them out at 100 per 6 minutes is risky business..

accuracy ....not quantity.

thats why when sarge said drop and give me 50 .....i gave him 2 ...and said those 2 are the best danged push ups you'll ever see!

i like peeling potatoes

Boolit Master
    I have seen to Press Monitor RPH (rounds per hour) in the range of 1200 with only the casefeed and hand seating bullets off the Dillon bullet tray on my 650. That's a lot of stinkin rounds! I'd say get the 650 and don't look back. You don't NEED a bullet feeder to make piles of ammo.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    You don't NEED a bullet feeder to make piles of ammo.
    No, you don't. Just makes is that much easier.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    I'm a true Blue Dillon guy. But if you look objectively at the 650/Hornady comparisons on old threads you will see that at the end of the day the Dillon and Hornady are about equal. They are just different in their specific quirks.

The way I look at it is, why change brands unless the different one offers significant advantages?

That's a decision only you can make.
    I think this is where I am at. They are close in price and the Hornady had the nod with the bulletfeeder, but...if it's problematic/ hard to use/ can't use, then Hornady lost that advantage. I have never had a problem with my 550 so I think it's gonna be 650 time!

Now a decision...should I sell my 550 and go all in on the 650?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I kept my 550 for things the 650 can't load.

I wish someone made custom shellplates for the 650.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    I kept my 550 for things the 650 can't load.

I wish someone made custom shellplates for the 650.

Take care

r1kk1
    What can the 650 not load? Your wildcats or Linebaughs?

Other 650 questions to anyone...powder dies and funnels swap over so I will keep those, but I of course need new toolheads. What about the buttons? How hard is it to swap from small to large primer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk