RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Casting Silver Bullets

Boolit Buddy
    A couple of years ago I bought on ebay four sterling silver bullets. The guy who cast them was a jeweler. They were obviously made in a bullet mould as the base sprue cut is visible. The bullets are polished so no casting seam is left. They were cast from three different molds but are all .32 caliber and tapered. I still have three, one of each type. I gave the fourth one to my son.

Boolit Master
    Gosh, Wayne, of course...how stupid of me! Bats?! sheesh! What was I thinking? Werewolves look like people, until they see a full moon. In Harry Potter, when that teacher turned into a werewolf, he looked a lot more like a wolf than a hairy person with fangs. I reckon they can take different forms, but not bats!
    lathesmith

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Err, it's Vampires and bats, not werewolves. Let's keep our mythology straight here. Good idea, though. Silver shotgun loads would do for a Vampire Bat, no?

Werewolves need another solution. Can't shoot them when they're human, Police would be all over you. Shoot them when they are werewolves and the SPCA would be all over you. Course, I'd prefer the SPCA over the Police!
    \

But they always change back to human when you kill them so you still have the police problem. Where is Frankenstein when we need him?

Lone Ranger and Tonto were camping. During the night Lone Ranger woke up Tonto and said look up what do you see? Tonto said stars,millions of stars Kemosabe (or howevever the hell it's spelled) What does that tell you Tonto? Many things,spiritual,scientific and practical. I can find my way. I can tell time. I know I am just a small part of God's massive universe. What does it tell you kemosabe? " Someone stole our damned tent."

Boolit Buddy
    Having a screw machine within easy reach leads to shooting all kinds of odd alloys... I shot a bunch of 12L14 bullets, I guess with .30 % lead you could call them "hard".

Never ran any silver bar, but AMS 4880 polishes up damn near silver.

B.

Boolit Mold
    Guess I'll have to show some of my castings. Some of these are sterling, others are .999 fine silver (I'm too cheap to shoot them, but they are a fun challenge to cast)

.308 .357 and .45

Werewolf season is coming up, that's the great thing about living in Europe!

from silver if I want to
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357 varulv.JPG   Billede 028 (Custom).jpg   HP (Custom).JPG   varulv 2.JPG  

Even a man who is pure of heart,
    and says his prayers at night,
    can become a wolf when the Wolfbane blooms,
    and the Autumn moon is bright...

Boolit Master

A friend had a jewler try to cast some silver 38 bullets from a silicone mold and he said they came out about 32 cal because of shrinkage.

Boolit Master

When I dig up that veign of lead and silver and start using it to cast, I will let you all know how it turns out.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Lone Ranger Away, with the subtitle It's a Cinch Tonto Didn't Cast These Silver Bullets Over any Campfire. It details, in hilarious and witty dialog, the trials and difficulties some experienced gun experts had in casting silver bullets, and the extremely poor results they obtained when shooting them.
    Maybe this is why the Lone Ranger always shot the gun out of the bad guy's hand. He was really aming center of mass, but with the poor accuracy of the silver boolits...

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

You can get rid of the zinc in your wheelweights with silver.
    When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

Boolit Buddy

Going historical ...

As I recall, the time period for the origin of the silver bullet stuff would indicate that they were shot out of muzzle loaders, and not even revolvers or cap and ball. So the silver bullets would have been patched round ball.

No sizing, no touching the bore, even... might work fairly well.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Buddy
    I've had thoughts about casting a 14k gold boolit to wear around my neck...high melt temp changed my mind.... Asked a dental tech, the guys who make crowns and bridges how much is would cost to make a cast of an expanded boolit and again changed my mind....

Boolit Master

Phooey on the cost of casting gold, or silver. You can either steam, or potato cast without too much hassle.
    If you are willing to put the time into doing it, it can be done. Just like load development, and casting sizing, it takes time and desire.
    Silver is much too hard to shoot, unless it has more copper in the alloy than sterling. 860 would be a better blend.
    Why would anyone want to shoot a silver boolitt? Who knows. It can be done however. Solid copper boolitts do shoot well. An annealed silver boolitt would at least shoot somewhat well.
    Might not expand so well, unless it is swaged with leaves. Like the copper swageings.
    It can be done.
    On the net, there are tutorials on how to cast. Karat gold is similiar to silver casting with the exception the casting temperature is lower. Instead of steam, or a potato, you can centrifigul cast using a sling. It will take two people. Melt the gold, pour it into the heated flask, and swing in circles over head. Bingo, cast boolitt. I wouldn't want to do that either, but it is one of the ways they used to cast gold and silver. The wax you can make from the basic mold on hand.
    Pour the was into an heated mold, let it cool, cut the sprue. A sprue for casting is added after the wax is removed from the mold. Then invest, burn out the wax, melt the gold, pour and either steam, or spin. Toss the mold into cold water once the button is solid. Remove the casting, add a jump ring, bail, polish and have a ball.
    To find out how much gold you need, float the wax in water, mark the level. Remove the wax, toss in some gold. When the level reaches the mark, add about 30% more. that is what you will need.
    It will take a few tries, but, just think of what you will have accomplished. There are several free internet sites on casting using steam. For a flask, use a soup can. Investment can be purchesed in 5lb increments. To debubblize prior to casting, set the flask with the wet investment on a vibratory tumbler for a few minutes. Then let it sit. To make a kiln to burn out, and get the flask up to temperature, get a clay flower pot, fairly large, cover with aluminum foil inside and out. Put this on a propane camp stove and let it cook. The top of the flask becomes the crucible to melt the gold, then steam in. The camp stove burns out the wax, the crucible heats the mold to casting temp. Cut a potato in half and jam it on the molten gold. The steam from the potatoe forces the gold into the mold.
    BadaBing, BadaBoom.
    You can do it. That is how I started all those years ago.
    Some of those early castings were some of my best ones.
    Canning wax can be used for the model, with sprue. Aluminum foil is used to contain the investment, the crucible is made on the flask.
    It is that simple.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=scrat;243646]Werewolf problem hhahahahah

No, No, NO! You have it all wrong. There ARE several flavors of Werewolf. First, the poor guys that would like to be wolves. Then, the Hexenwolfen, who have a powerful wizard give them an amulet that will change them. Fast and mean, but they are susceptible to plain ole cast or jacketed boolits.

The worst ones, the Loup-garous are really fast and powerful, too. They can be killed by silver, but it has to be inherited silver, passed directly on to the caster/shooter. Hit 'em anywhere, and it is fatal. (Probably the only instance of a one-shot stop, even if only hit in the little finger. )

Garlic? Only on barbecued Werewolf! So sez Emeril.

Boolit Bub
    some one metioned cowboys here is a neat site for all of you old timers who remember the old cowboys OLDBLUEWEBDESIGNS.COM CLICK ON VIEW MY PATRIOC & NOSTALGIC FLASH MOVIES & scroll down to "remember thoes old westerns " enjoy and the site has more great videos all are free. Yippe KI ya mo"
    Last edited by REDTAIL; 09-15-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I guess I forgot to describe my method:

I use "jewellers casting sand" which is a fine-grained petrobond.

The primary advantages are, that it is quick and easy when just casting a few pieces, and that you avoid the "double shrinkage"-problem.

In traditional lost wax casting, you first make a rubber mold (no shrinkage), then you cast wax in that mold, and the wax shrinks on solidification. After that you "invest" the wax in refractory gypsum, burn out the wax and press molten silver into the void left by the wax (using steam, centrifugal force or vacuum) On cooling, it shrinks a bit more, and you'll even loose a little more when polishing the casting.

You loose less when sandcasting, but the sand is too slow for large-scale production (4-5 castings per hour is a maximum for me)

And by the way: Pure silver is the softest (and too soft to be used for most jewellery). When alloying with copper, hardness is significantly increased.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maas View Post
    Tonto, not knowing the "Lone Ranger" disguised as a screen door, banged him!
    The Lone Ranger, not knowing that Tonto was disguised as a door, had just shot his knob off!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    Maybe this is why the Lone Ranger always shot the gun out of the bad guy's hand. He was really aming center of mass, but with the poor accuracy of the silver boolits...
    HERESY!!! Is NOTHING sacred ?

OK, here is a boxed set of Silver bullets i made for an old machinist friend of our family:

I made a .400 diameter cylinder mould from a piece a graphite, melted some scrap .999 Silver using a small crucible, a pinch of Borax and an acetylene torch, and then cast the rough blanks.

Each bullet then got lathe turned and parted off, then sized. What a PITA to size that was - glad I got it very close in OD.

Finished weight was around 85gr.

Arclight