Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody seen the 45-70 whisper?

Boolit Grand Master

Now there you go using common sense! Stop that! JD wants to sell stuff.

Boolit Buddy

My 45-70 whispered to me once, S-H-O-O-T M-E
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    A 45-70 whisper, to me, makes about as much sense as a 30-378 whisper.

Boolit Master
    That funky bullet they were pushing is made to be aerodynamic I guess, so requires the ogive way back, and only way it would cycle thru an action is if they cut it back to fit. Like Hornady does with their loaded FTX. And being so long requires a faster twist than a 45-70 comes with. I put a faster twist barrel in mine to shoot the long pointed 500gr, but was doing a barrel stub in an H&R anyways. I have a lathe so only cost was the blank.

But we all know the 45-70 whisper is just an attempt to create a market for something people have little need for. One can imagine in a few years, the few sold will become worthless as the company moves on due to low sales.

Ohh cool!
    I can ruin expensive 45/70 brass to do exactly what a stock 460 S&W case will do. These people DO know we already invented the wheel right?
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Marketing people seldom care about what people want or need. Or in the case of the 45-70 whisper if there already are a dozen other things that can do the same job. All they worry about is selling a product. They needed to move those 465gr bullets, this is their attempt to get people to buy something they have little need for. I think in the end, they will end up with alot of unsold product.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm holding out for the 50 BMG Whisper...

They already made a 50BMG short.
    It was a spotter round I think. Same case, just shortened significantly
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I am into NFA stuff and have several suppressor hosts including a Marlin 45-70. This round has no appeal to me since I can already reload subsonic ammo using my existing setup, bullet molds etc.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    I think it is stupid.But what do I know.

Boolit Mold
    Having looked this over, just................no.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't buy into that long ogive for aerodynamics either because the long ogive doesn't help at subsonic velocities or at least that is my understanding anyway.

Take a look at that boolit I posted the drawing of in post #19. That boolit was designed by Dr. Richard Gunn and has a ballistic coefficient of .51. It certainly doesn't have a long ogive.

Personally I think it is silly to cut back .45-70 brass to suit a bullet that could have been made to fit what already exists. Maybe SSK has a rational explanation but it doesn't make sense to me. Plus once cut down is it .45-70 anymore? Kinda like calling a .45 Colt a .454 Casull because it fits the same chamber... or calling a .45-60 a .45-70 because it will fit the same chamber.

Call me picky but... it doesn't make sense to me from the cut down brass to the long ogive bullet that didn't need to be. Marketing in my opinion.

So, what he said..................no.