WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting out of casting, need help figuring out how to sell my equip.

Boolit Master
    Since your in PA. Every week There is a Gun show Somewhere. Harrisburg, Lancaster, Monroeville. Rent a Table and sell it. I always sell In Allentown. . The best way always Buyers
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Banned

Another way to consider is breaking it up into smaller "lots" pricing it that way you will get more for each lot.

I say keep and store it all. But if you think you need to let some of it go keep the main things. When I move from MA and before I got back here to IA I had took all my reloading and trapping things with me and I had some was thinking I was going to sell all my traps and said no .It was some time before I started trapping again then longer before I got back into reloading and now I doing both and did not regret anything for letting any go.Just think of it . It remind me of some will sell all there traps when the fur price is down and then go back out and buy some traps when the price is back up.You said you do not need the money so store it till you ready to get back into it.also maybe one of your family members would like to do it with you later on.You will beable to have the gear to teach them.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings101 View Post
    Time, family and work have gotten in the way. Also I am loosing my location to continue casting. So as much as it saddens me, I have to unload my set up.
    I have well over a half ton of lead between range scrap and cast ingots, two melting pots (an old saeco and a brand new in box pro melt), burner and pot for making ingots, handles, molds, sizer, thousands of gas checks, lyman lube sizer, star lube sizer and a bucket full of bullet lube sticks. Also have a cart that I had alot of the things set up on. Probably a hell of a lot more that i'm forgetting while typing this up. I need to get a chance to do a complete inventory and take pictures of the equipment. Im asking the forum to suggest if I should sell as one big lot (obviously shipping would be extremely difficult) or break it down item by item?
    Are you sure?
    seems a shame, sounds like you've put a lot of effort into accumulating alloy and equip.
    Finding a storage type deal with someone, might be an alternative.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I vote keep essentials stored you never know what the future holds and replacing an extensive set up is costly to say the least.

Boolit Man
    My vote is to keep it too. UT, If you decide to sell I am in SE PA too. Send me an inventory and your asking price. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Listen to JonB.

You will regret selling it

Don Verna

I'm sure glad my Father kept every bit of his casting and reloading equipment...
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Bub
    Consider keeping/ storing it. You seems to really care about the hobby. Time issues may improve as some time passes by. Things change.

Boolit Master
    I would sell it. If you store it 5-10 years it becomes junk, and takes money and space to store it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    Your love of the sport will not go away, your current situation WILL change. ...
    THIS!

Wipe it all down with a heavy oil and store it somewhere.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    Sell it all, it can be replaced later, life is too short to worry about "stuff" that you might want later.

except maybe molds, they are small and easily stored but can be difficult to replace.

just my opinion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Sell it all, it can be replaced later, life is too short to worry about "stuff" that you might want later.

except maybe molds, they are small and easily stored but can be difficult to replace.

just my opinion.
    This would be my opinion as well, stuff can always be replaced later if you really feel the urge. Liquidating it now you will lose some value but you also don't have to pay any for storage or worry about moving it around. I'd start with just selling off the lead and see how it goes.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I vote with the ones who are suggesting that you keep your equipment. If you need a place to store it....lol
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I would keep the items that are not easily replaced. ( special molds, old pots, lead) and liquidate the rest. It's to easy to order another mold.

Boolit Master
    So time, family and work (times 2) are taking all your time, along with the loss of a location to cast? Been there, done that, just not with the loss of a location to cast.

The REAL question to ask yourself is - do you enjoy casting, handloading and shooting to the point that you would continue with these if the inconvenience of space management was not in the way? Do these activities provide you with a sense of accomplishment, relaxation and the satisfaction that comes from doing activities that others can only dream about doing? If any of these questions are answered with a "yes" you would only look over your shoulder later and ask yourself "just what was I not thinking about when I unloaded all my gear if only for a temporary convenience."

I have worked 2 jobs at the same time, either of which would constitute "full-time" status, along with keeping SWMBO happy and raising 3 daughters. Along with work and family came illnesses, one which consumed all our energy for over 6 years while one daughter fought off cancer (she is still alive and lives with us). During all these challenges I had many times when my handloading and casting activities were ignored, but remained available as my vent to relieve the pressures that built up around me. Without these vents I could have imploded multiple times.

Now our circumstance has evolved and we enjoy a rather sedate, but busy lifestyle. My retirement work is active, the wife and children are all well, and I am accelerating the handloading and casting. Would I have missed my time on the bench if I had sold out? You betcha. Will you? Probably.

So you can't cast now. Store everything. Treat your gear like a close friend who has suddenly moved to another state far away. The day will come when your space management issue will evaporate and that close friend will move back closer and you can renew the friendship. It will happen and you will be glad you saved his phone number. As another poster commented - replacing your gear will be much more difficult and expensive than selling it or paying for a storage locker. No greater truth has ever been spoken and yes I have been there also. Do yourself a favor and store everything. You will thank yourself many times later.

Thin Man

Boolit Grand Master
    Keep it!! Alox the steel molds, and anything prone to rusting.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

I have to go with the "keep it, store it", you will probably someday find the time and place to start up again. Been down that road of 2 jobs and no time for anything but work. Store it for now. Take some time to see how your situation may improve. It took me 20 years to get back into casting and loading again. Today I have equipment that would cost close to 60K+ if I had to replace everything, and it was all bought back in the early to mid 70's for way less than today's replacement cost.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Gent's asking for a complete list of sixstrings casting equipment will require his time and effort. So for those interested - be patient!
    I need to get a chance to do a complete inventory and take pictures of the equipment.
    * Just to get an accurate count of his lead, he will have to rent a freight scale to get an accurate count
    * If he has many molds as I do - 293, I hope he has done a spreadsheet to list and price them. I have molds that cost from $320 down to Lee's. Gonna take time
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Would be interested if you want to sell it, but as many have mentioned keep it, I too got out of shooting, reloading casting, etc. but kept everything, glad I did, "if" I had to replace it, the money it would cost now..and the way it was made back then compared to now..well, just glad I kept it.

-Rock