RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Modified mold handles

Modified mold handles

I bought a couple saeco molds that were set up for use on an automatic casting machine. I thought I could use a set of lee 6 cavity handles or similar and drill holes through the sides of the jaws to mount them the same way they're set up now using the brackets that are in them as a template. I know I will also have to drill a hole out on one side of the jaw to accomadate the sprue bolt and drill the top of the mold to add a sprue plate stop. It doesn't sound complicated but can anyone who has done this before give me an idea of how difficult it is to get right. I'd be using a small drill press with a vise and thought that would work. Would titanium bits work or should I go with something else? I planned on using the sprue plate that's on them, I didn't see any reason not to besides needing to add a stop.

Thanks

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

ndhole:

Depending for which casting machine your moulds are set up for, Magma or Balliti-Cast, will determine "How" easy or difficult the conversion may be.

Ballisti-Cast moulds have a "Mould Key" that is held in place with a 3/16" Dowel Pin, this dowel pin is retained within the mould block with a small diameter "Roll" pin. If this is the case, you could drill a #20 hole, approx. 1 1/4" deep in the existing hole, first. Then "Tap" the existing hole with a #10x32 Heli-Coil tap and put in an insert. This setup would be the same as RCBS uses on their moulds. You could then use RCBS style mould screws.

Magma holds their "Mould Keys" in place with two #8 Socket Head cap screws. You may be better off drilling and and tapping two new holes on the bottom of the mould, to what-ever screw size works best in the Lee handles (#12, I do believe). Just a warning, "Don't Drill Right Thru The Blocks".

For what it's worth.

RRR
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 09-08-2008 at 06:35 PM.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Red River Rick,
    They were on a magma and the mold keys, didn't know they were called that, have the two socket head screws holding them in place. If I'm reading into what your saying correctly, then the mold blocks and handles would be about the same hardness therefore it would be simpler to drill and tap the blocks.