Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At our club range

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

At our club range

This was last weekend. Only 15 degrees, so I stayed home by the stove. I had a bad case of analmyopia. I couldn't see my *** at the range when it was that cold!

The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    to cold for a Texas boy. Sure looks fun, I like the red coat looks like a trapper convention from the early 1800's. COOL
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    to cold for a Texas boy. Sure looks fun, I like the red coat looks like a trapper convention from the early 1800's. COOL
    It's called a Capote.

Boolit Master
    Brings back many memories when I belonged to a group as such. But never in the cold as you guys have.

Fly

Boolit Master

When it's that cold staying by the stove gets my vote, loading in that kind of weather just shows why a false muzzle works better to save your fingers starting the ball.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned

love this one and the previous "revenant montana" video, too. well done, but just not long enuf ... good stoke for when the weather breaks and we can all go out and shoot. who's working the vid cam, is that denny?

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    love this one and the previous "revenant montana" video, too. well done, but just not long enuf ... good stoke for when the weather breaks and we can all go out and shoot. who's working the vid cam, is that denny?

Yes, he does a nice job of it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Yes, he does a nice job of it.
    not nice, more like excellent! he should make a full length feature - heck, i'd buy a copy!

Boolit Master
    Video~~ Always good to target shoot with Brethren. ANYTIME!! ANYWHERE!! ~~~within reason.

Enjoyed that Denny Ducet video on another site. Don't know how I'd manage to keep my hands & face from freezing in those temps., though.
    Last edited by Maven; 01-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks like they all had a great time and fun. Darn muzzle loaders will make you a better shot. Flint locks are fun too shoot. Missed out one our season, darn hip pain. Thanks !! For sharing !! They did a great job!!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, enjoyed watching!

Boolit Grand Master

What?15 ain't cold!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    What?15 ain't cold!
    Mooman76;

You must spend your days in one of those refrigerated warehouses/beverage distribution centers in N. Las Vegas.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Thank you for posting this fine video ! Sure would be a good day !
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Mooman76;

You must spend your days in one of those refrigerated warehouses/beverage distribution centers in N. Las Vegas.
    No just wasn't always living here. I usually lived in much colder places but I work on a roof out in the weather for 8hrs a day. It's at the base of the mountains so it does get pretty cold believe it or not. Not Montana cold but with the wind it can feel pretty cold.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    You get used to the cold very quickly, so long as you're not standing around whining to yourself about it. My nephew and I went out a couple weekends ago and it was 17*F with a breeze. We were perfectly comfortable so long as we kept moving from shooting position to target and back. A little bit of physical activity, and you may even be opening up your coat and taking off your hat to cool off.

You get so you LIKE the cool weather. You can DO things without getting overheated, and as a bonus there are NO BUGS, and you don't have to worry about the fire hazards of blackowder. Also we have more free time in winter because the lawn doesn't need mowed, nor the garden tended. Remember all that next time you're out sweating in the heat, swatting mosquitoes, and picking tics off yourself, or staying home due to fire danger.

Boolit Master
    Great video. I have a new Soddy-Daisy gun coming soon. Really makes me want it sooner!

Ok, waksupi. Been cold enough a frizzen wouldn't spark? Wiping patches freeze half way down the bore? Lead roundball freeze to your fingers? Seen that twice. Last time was February 2015. Temperatures hung around 7°F but the wind chill was -19°F.
    And this was in balmy Virginia, just outside of Washington, DC where the political hot air didn't help.

Then there was the time we had to dig shooting lanes to the targets in Minot, ND.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digging out.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	185945

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Ok, waksupi. Been cold enough a frizzen wouldn't spark? Wiping patches freeze half way down the bore? Lead roundball freeze to your fingers? Seen that twice. Last time was February 2015. Temperatures hung around 7°F but the wind chill was -19°F.
    And this was in balmy Virginia, just outside of Washington, DC where the political hot air didn't help.

Then there was the time we had to dig shooting lanes to the targets in Minot, ND.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digging out.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	185945

I have seen it where the sparks weren't real energetic. I use Moose Milk made with winter blend windshield washer fluid, to prevent freezing. Something like Bore Butter puts you out of the game after one or two shots. Never had a ball freeze to my fingers!