Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deterioating Powder

Boolit Buddy

Question Deterioating Powder

I just checked my powder storage cabinet and found a can of IMR #4064 that had rusted thru-- The wierd part is that it evidently rusted from the inside! It wasn't just a "pin hole"-- the whole can separated at the level of the powder inside. I don't remember when I bought it but it was several years ago. (Lot #TE 5 2201) possibly back in the '60s. The question is has this ever happened to anyone else here? I checked the rest of my "stock" and everything seems to be OK. Any info/insight will be appreciated. TIA, Stan

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Probably water from the atmosphere. High humidity when using?
    Nitric acid does the rot-the-can thing. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Yep, I lost 10 to 15 lbs of powder and 1,000s of primers when I stored them for several years in my dad's non-airconditioned house here in high heat, high humidity Louisiana. I now store them at a constant low temp and low humidity in a used but working frost-free fefrigerator-freezer.

Boolit Buddy
    Felix: You may have something re the high humidity thing. The cap was on tight but as I think of it, I only used IMR 4064 years ago working up loads for 8x57. At the time I was living in Maine and loading in the cellar (w/o dehumidifier)-- Very possible cause.
    Junior: Thx for the 'fridge idea -- I'll have to look around the local GoodWill and yard sales.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Dorf, just don't open any containers until they come to room temperature. Put smaller things in zip bags.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've seen the same rusting can problem with IMR 4064 and IMR 4198. I quit "buying ahead" with IMR powders, and try to use ball powers bought in bulk. I've never seen ball powder deteriorate.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    454 PB: Thx for the input. I thought I had a real unique (no pun intended) problem but glad to hear that it's happened to someone else. Good idea on ball powders. Also nice to see that most powders today are coming through in plastic cannisters -- maybe the rusting can problem is more wide spread than I imagined. BTW can anybody come up with a date for the lot #? (Lot #T E 5 2201) TIA Stan

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    I have not had a problem with powder going bad,guess I am lucky.Last year I opened a foot locker, that I put in the shed Back in 1979 when I got out of the army.It had sit the corner under a pile of junk and I forgot about it.In it was a half can of hodgdon 4064.I got it in a trade in the early 70's even then it was old it had the small screw cap on it.Smelled good shot good.Also a can of Imr 3031 still good.This was in a open on one side shed,here in east Texas.I had always heard of powder going bad,but never seen it.
    God is good all the time

Boolit Man

Talking

I had the good fortune to buy a 50 pound keg of H4831 for $35.00 when a local sporting goods store still had some.

It is all still good. I have however found some thick HDPE jugs to separate the remaining powder into so that if it starts to go bad, not all of it will be affected.

Boolit Master
    The only powder I've ever had deteriorate on me was a 1 lb can of old DuPont 4064. It happened about 20 years ago, and also happened to a buddy of mine who bought the same powder at about the same time. We never did compare lots as we had both disposed of the cans long before we discovered we both had the same experience. We both live in NE Washington state where the humidity is extremely low throughout the year, to the extent that none of my steel moulds has ever rusted on me, and I don't bother to treat them or oil them between uses.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

About 10 years ago I had 5 lb of H322 start giving off the rusty looking dust and rusting the cap on the container it was in. I called Hodgdon and spoke with George Weber who made me promise to dispose of the bad powder and he sent me five pounds of fresh H322. Evidently the powder I had was some left from the original surplus they had purchased from the govt. Mr. Weber said that it was probably starting to go bad when I got it. I felt that I had gotten great service from Hodgdon.

Skeet1

Boolit Master
    About two yrs ago a friend gave me four six pound cans of Hercules powder.The cans are round and look like little barrels.It was mfg .in 1939. One of the cans was marked Hercules Lightning.A friend has some loading manuals from the 1950's.I found a load for the 30.06 and loaded some with about 25 grns and they worked just fine.The powder is shaped like little donuts and it doestn's meter worth a dime.It also leaves many of the little donuts in the barrel after firing.I can see why they dropped it.If however it was the only powder I had I would not hesitate to use it.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had cans of IMR powder rust the can, but not completely through and through. As a matter of fact I have 3 lbs, of 7828 that has rusted the tops, but they are all still sealed. I'm going to use it soon so the stuff won't get any worse. If it still smells good, I use it. I have a can of Hi Vel #2 that I checked the other day and it still smells like IMR powder, so I know it's good. It has to date from the 60s anyway.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Hivel2 has up to 40 percent nitroglycerin. Not likely to fall apart because of water, unless the atmosphere included bugs where you live are attracted by the "smell" of glycerin. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    SO THE CONTAINER RUSTED OUT, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE POWDER ??

in the past i have seen a rusted container or two.....the container not the powder.

inspected the powder..had a red/brown dust, but appeared un affected.

poured the powder very slow in front of a lite air stream...( multiple times..till no dust)

the red/brown dust( rust) blew away....left me with powder.

did limited retests to compare to prior results...no change

not reccommended if you have no data to comapre to or question the actual condition of the powder...smell/ looks

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy
    Mike in CO: Thx for the info. As for the powder, it was contamimated with "rust dust" the same as you report. There didn't appear to be any change in the appearance or physical characteristics of the granules that I could see, however, not having any immedite need of any 4064 and not being able to remember where or when I purchased it, I dumped it in my wife's flower garden (hope it doesn't make the roses go "ballistisc"). In any event, thx to all for the info you have shared. Stan

Boolit Buddy
    You gotta be careful putting old powder on the roses; it will make them shoot out more stems and posies. I just opened a can of RL 21 that has to date from the early 60s, and it smelled just fine. I loaded it into some 30/06 with 165s. I still have to load 30 more. If you think IMR powders are hard to work with, try some of this stuff. It's like trying to get pine logs to flow through the measure!
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

I had several white paper bags of hodgdon 4831 a friend had bought at an auction about 10 years ago. I called hodgdon to make sure the stuff would even still be good since it didn't even have a smell anymore. The gentleman I spoke with said it was probably from the 50's or 60's and as long as it hadn't started to break down it was ok to use. He told me that when it breaks down or degrades you will see the little red flakes and it will have a very strong acidic smell to it. I put it into several empty 4831 cans and after a few years went to use the last of it to load up some 30-06 and the lid to the can was rusted almost off. When I opened it the smell was strong enough to take your breath away and when I dumped it out in the yard there were the little red flakes. I didn't chance using it, the way he had made it sound is that it becomes unstable at that point and is unsafe to use.

Boolit Bub
    The powder that I had trouble with was -DuPont- 4320.

I read up on it and found out my "beloved" single-based-rifle-powders were more
    prone to doing that than the double based powders. :/

But it's weird tho, I was given a "very" old can of 4064 (can with the tiny little
    lid) and it was fine right up to last year when I used it all up. :)

It seems to be a crap shoot which can's going to go side-ways on you.
    My 4320 was stored in the house with A/C.
    The older 4064 was stored in a barn.

The bad 4320 was caught in the early stages of breaking down and never -smelled-
    acidic, just rusted the inside of the can is all.

I loaded some of the 4320 up and it shot fine so loaded up all of it and gave them
    to someone that was going to shoot them all right away in a rather wasteful
    manner. As long as it doesn't smell bad it's still close to the same stuff according
    to what I'd read.

The silly sucker didn't shoot any of them and is yet to return them to me. :/

The loads are ~2200fps 110gr carbine bullets in 30-30.

Alvin in AZ

Boolit Master

Dorf,
    I Just opened a can of 4064 from the early 70s and guess what? Yep, it too had rusted the inside of the can. I disposed of it out in the drive. Funny thing is I have several other IMR powders of the same age that are fine. All of them have been stored in cool dry conditions. My powder had a different lot number than yours, L2451. BTW the outside of the can looked perfect! Odd that several have had the problem with this particular powder.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.