RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Neck down 30-06 to 25-06

Neck down 30-06 to 25-06

Is this much trouble to do, or worth the trouble?

I did that very thing years ago and it worked splendidly. Just use your normal full length sizer and load them. The necks shouldn't get thick enough from that small a reduction in size to be a problem and it wasn't for me in 3 different rifles.

Boolit Master
    It worked fine for me and I used heavy military brass. I did not have to turn the necks.
    EDG

Should be easy. I have made 308 from 30-06 and it isn't bad at all.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

I have done it years ago when the 25-06 was pretty much a wild cat. it did shoot well but the necks cracked after four or more firings. I had better results using .270 Win. brass , now days 25-06 brass is easy to get but if I needed some I would make from 30-06 if that is what I had.

Boolit Master
    Sice I have a 6mm-06 I find 25-06 simple.
    The 6mm-06 is designed to use resized 30-06 brass...keeps the necks the correct thickness...somewhat, still needs turning or reaming sometimes.
    I also have a 25-06 that may have originally been a Wildcat, not Commercial dimensions. It wants a thicker neck than most others I have encountered.
    I don't really enjoy "thinning" necks, so I experiment with "parent" cartridges, as I don't like thin necks either as Failure occurs soon enough without overworking the neck.

Boolit Master
    I used GI brass in 1965 when the .25-06 was still a wildcat. I've formed many wildcats over the years, but the .25-06 was about the easiest, usually with no case loss. However, and regardless of what brass you use for forming, check those necks. There's often a good chance they will require turning, particularly when making a large neck smaller.

"...regardless of what brass you use for forming, check those necks. There's often a good chance they will require turning, particularly when making a large neck smaller." ...lotech

My experience as well. Also, if you have a surplus of .30-06 brass, but a shortage of .25-06, it makes sense to at least consider converting it.

Boolit Buddy
    Is 25-06 brass that expensive that you need to make them? I have done it, I also size down 280 Rem for 6.5-06. I do that because I have a 30-06 and ton's of brass but don't want to take a chance on mixing them up.

Banned

I actually prefer making the 25 cases from 270 brass, this way I can trim them to length for the particular rifle.

PPU loaded ammo is so reasonable and such good brass that I bought up some a while back..after a few loads the cost of the brass is so amortized over the total cost it's not much of a big deal...I've loaded 25-06 since the early 60's and have used my share of "donor brass" from 30-06 and 270 over the years...never had a problem..just like the idea of one "factory shot" to set to my rifle and then neck sizing from then on.

Thanks Guys.
    I'm good on brass for now and will be watching for 1 X on the forum.
    Just curious for "options" if I cant' find 25-06 when I need some!