Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Need advice on Lyman Precision Alignment(PA) dies

Boolit Buddy

Need advice on Lyman Precision Alignment(PA) dies

I have a few Lyman PA dies and have used a couple of them a few times over the years, but don't know how they compare with other precision seating dies. Are they still made? Are parts still available from somewhere? Is it worth the effort to try to gather up these Lyman PA dies for each caliber loaded? I know from the paperwork that comes with them that some of the parts are interchangeable from caliber to caliber.

Boolit Master

I found a few of 'em on ebay and my own opinion is that they compare poorly with the newer Hornady New Dimension seaters, which have sliding sleeves and floating seating stems, either of which may be made on the lathe. That might be necessary for non-standard boolit diameters, though the Hornady sleeves are hardened.

Also, the Lyman PA has not been made for some years. Parts are where you find them. The Hornadies are current production. A used die set may often be obtained for the MSRP of just the seater. I went with a bevy of Hornadies and I'm pleased with them.

Them's the way I see it,

Mark

Boolit Master
    As an alternate view, I find my old Lyman PA dies to be very much in the same vein as Hornady's seaters. Both use sliding sleeves to align the bullet and hold the case mouth, Hornady simply lets the sleeve hang out the end of the die body, otherwise they are the same.

Both are easy to use. Neither is made sufficently tight to offer any real competition to the seating precision of Forster and Redding comp. dies.

Anyone who has access to a simple metal lathe can turn out sliding PA chambers to allow you to change calibers. I've made a couple myself, it's pretty simple really, and mine work as well as the originals. Maybe better, since I made them a closer fit for both the die body and bullet diameter. ??

Bought one for my 8 x 57mm Mau. a few years ago on E-Bay and am very happy with it. I.e., the CB's I seat with it have very little run out and are quite accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for all the helpful input.

I have about a dozen Lyman PA dies and they work quite well. They are cut to more generous dimensions that the Vickerman dies, but that makes them good for cast bullets.

In Remebrance

While I have never use the Lyman PA dies, I have used the Hornady and Vickerman. The Vickerman are nicer hands down, but modern versions are about 3x the cost. Mine were originals made by Vickerman himself. Nice dies!

Moderator Emeritus
    Lyman PA Dies??

Any chance of a picture?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Dromia, I will try to post picture(s) tomorrow, Aug 19, so you can see what they look like.

Moderator Emeritus
    Many thanks Strangwn, I have this large Lyman 30 cal seating die with a sort of micrometer top on it.

I've never seen them advertised or referenced before and was just wondering if this what I've got.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Here are some pictures of a PA 5 which is for .220 Swift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LymanPA 1.jpg   LymanPA 2.jpg   LymanPA 3.jpg   LymanPA 4.jpg  
    Last edited by strangwn; 08-19-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added text

Moderator Emeritus
    Thanks for the picture Strangwn, that looks like the die I have only mine has a micometer adjust top on it, its got "LYMAN M.S. 2" stamped on it.

I dug it out yesterday and give a try out, actually on some oversize 6.5 x 55 boolits and work really well, the alingment was spot on, absolutely no boolit shaving into the tight neck.

Haven't checked for run out yet but will do.

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    "mine has a micometer adjust top on it, its got "LYMAN M.S. 2" stamped on it"

You have a short lived Lyman "Benchrest Seater" die. An equilivant to Hornady's micrometer top on their newer sleeve type seaters.

Moderator Emeritus
    Thanks 1hole, I thought that they weren't around long as I couldn't find any reference to them.

Do you have any idea when they were made and for how long?

I wonder why Lyman stopped production, it seems a fine product.

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    "Do you have any idea when they were made and for how long?"

Sorry, my memory doesn't work to well any more but my "forgetter" still works great. I THINK they were made about the mid 70s and only for a few years. I assumed they were too expensive for that period and they really didn't load any more accurate ammo, on average.

In my opinion, the same spotty accuracy issue is true today for Hornady's sliding sleeve seaters, but they ARE easy and convienent to use. Their swappable "micrometer" type heads are neat and somewhat helpful while developing a new load but we can do the same thing with any conventional seater if we work carefully.

I have several Lyman PA dies and use them but prefer either my Forster BR or Redding Competition seaters to ANY other, by a factor of ten!