Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Seeking a mold for 40s&w/10mm

Boolit Buddy

Seeking a mold for 40s&w/10mm

So I went looking for a mold on at the smallest .401 that is about 180gn and has hollow point pins. Needless to say I really don't need it in hollow point I just want to play with hollow points. So I checked out NOE AND MP Molds as well as accurate (can't navigate their site easily). Mp has a mold that is close to what I was looking for but its only offered on the site in a 2 cavity. I'm now against two cavity but I was hoping to find one in 4 cavity or more depending on material. By the way does anyone know about how heavy a two cavity mold in .401 180gn made from brass may be? I can't think of any other mold makers to check out for what I'm looking for. If someone can point me in a good direction or recommend a good mold id appreciate it.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have an LBT 403-180 RNFP 2C
    Also a 401-175 SWC 6C Lee

Both shot well in an XD40 . I acquired the LBT cheap enough it could be sent to Erik for HP and of course the Lee is inexpensive enough to be done "in house" .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

I believe the Lee 175 is tough to beat.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

So I went looking for a mold on at the smallest .401 that is about 180gn

Confusing can you explain

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry. I would like something at the smallest .401 that throws Atleast 180gn. I already have the Lee 401-175 I was looking for something more like a flat base. Standard lube groove that has hp and flat pins. I emailed someone at I believe it was mp molds as they had a mold in their catalog close to what I wanted but it was only a 2 cavity. Im hoping to hear back from them soon.

Boolit Master
    I love the Lee 401-175-TC. I use plain base gas checks and a Lyman M die. No leading and plenty of punch.

Boolit Master

Look through the closed group buys of MP molds, then pm Mihec here to see if he has what you want as leftover from the group buy.

Banned

yup that's allways been my favorite .40 bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post

Boolit Grand Master

A MP four cavity brass mold weighs about as much as a four cavity aluminium from NOE. The weigh is substantially more.

Personally I would not consider an RG mold from NOE. I guess I've been spoiled by MP's Cramer molds. They are a lot easier to cast consistent bullets w/. The pins on the RG molds are really hard to keep hot enough. This isn't the case w/ MP's Cramer molds.

This is just IMO but I would forgo the HP option. I buy a lot of molds from MP. But if plug pins were an option they are installed in the mold. I grew out of the HP phase rather quickly. Doesn't really offer any advantage. And casting consistent ones takes more work.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I think this mold from Arsenal would be just the ticket!
    403-180 Gr WFN

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?pro...=103&limit=100
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    I had very good results accuracy and reliability wise with the lee 175 mold.

However it fed VERY POORLY through my bullet feeders. It was just the wrong size to turn sideways and clog the funnel on my mr. bullet feeder. Bear that in mind if you use one of those. Other than that I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Boolit Bub
    Do hollow points really not make a difference? Maybe not for targets but I would imagine for game and flesh? I guess full wadcutter might get you a similar result...

Boolit Master

Another vote for the 175gr Lee, in 6 cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post

Yes it is. Powder coated, it'll do about anything that needs doing within the limits of the cartridge.

Sissy pink is pretty cool. LOL!

When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    The 180 grain from Magnum Engineering in my automated Master Caster works well in all guns. Have cast and powder coated over 10,000 of this bullet. Install a .010 thick aluminum roof flashing gas check with the powder coated bullet. Can shoot hundreds at a time and have a very clean barrel at the end of the day. Have a 140 grain mold but does not knock over the steel targets as easy as the 180 grain bullet.