MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety glasses

Boolit Master

Safety glasses

Well it's a good thing I wear glasses to start with! I was at my brother-in-laws house and he has a small 5lb lead pot and a ladle to cast with but he hadn't gotten into doing it just yet. He asked me to show him what to do so we went out and set it up on a table that came up to about my stomach. Well after explained everything we started casting with long sleeves and welding gloves on, I cut the sprue and dropped it in the pot softly and easily but it still magaged to splash a little in the strangest way. I had a small piece of hot lead fly STARIGHT UP right onto the center of the lens of my left eye. I looked at my brother-in-law and told him to remeber to wear safety glasses and pointed out the lead spec stuck to my plastic lens.

just a little safety reminder to those of us who don't wear sleeves or gloves or glasses when casting STUFF happens. Be safe out there.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 12-26-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Boolit Master

Just FYI my home casting setup is 150% safer cuz I have to worry about lead levels for work and have to make sure I don't burn up the garage in my rent house.

My optometrist thought I was nuts when I told him I wanted safety lenses in my everyday glasses. He knows I am retired and couldn't figure out why I wanted them.
    This way I don't need to get special glasses to shoot or cast with.
    I was already used to the extra weight from the glasses I wore to work.

Boolit Mold
    I averted a disaster 3 weeks ago when I.was melting shredded lead into ingots. The lead was given to me by a fisherman who had stored the lead outside in gallon buckets. Apparently, moisture was trapped in the shredded lead and when I added a laddle of the scrap lead to the pot of molten lead, it popped and two speckles of molten lead landed on my cheek. I normally wear long sleeves, welding or leather construction gloves and safety glassess and this go-round was no different from any other. My set up, however was inadequate as i suffered a minor burn to my face. I reluctantly continued the process and turned away from the pot whenever I added another scoop of scrap lead to the pot. After a couple of minutes, of doing this i got nervous and went back into my workroom and grabbed a full face welding helmet (the kind with the tilt lens) for some extra protection. The very first time i put the mask to my face and poured the next laddle of scrap lead to the pot, it exploded. The explosion sent lead up about six feet into the air and in every direction. Molten lead hit the face mask and the clear acrylic lens protecting my eyes and landed on my shirt, pants and the wall behind and above me and all over the burner and concrete floor below. I miraculously escaped without a single burn. Had i decided not to wear the bulky awkward welding helmet, I would have suffered severe burns to my face and could have lost my eyes. I stopped what I was doing then immediately ran to Homedepot where I picked up a ful face acrylic shield mask and continued making ingots while wearing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Adding cold lead to molten lead is a safety issue. Adding lead known to be moist is a surefire way to cause steam explosions. These can result in serious injuries. I don't know the source or purpose of your "shredded" lead, but the safe way to melt it is to pack a cold pot, heat it until it melts, and then pour it off. Do not add this material to an already molten pot of lead.

Can't tell you how happy I am that all you guys are willing to continue hurting yourselves and telling us new guys how to avoid the pitfalls.
    Tell ya what...there's nothing better in life than learning from other peoples mistakes.
    My wife would be unhappy if I mess up my pretty face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    Can't tell you how happy I am that all you guys are willing to continue hurting yourselves and telling us new guys how to avoid the pitfalls.
    Don't know who "all you guys" is, but I don't think this is a constructive comment.

I wasn't trying to be mean. I was talking to the guys that admitted hurting themselves. Was actually trying to be very light-hearted in fact. My apologies.

Vendor Sponsor

I'm a big believer in safety glasses AND wearing gloves for even the most mundane chores. I like the wrap around style made by Gateway, plenty of choices of colors and shades and they do make bifocals in whatever strength you need. Their blue mirrors are the BEST EVER driving glasses that I have found, and they work really well riding a motorcycle in 70mph wind. Hard to beat one pair of glasses that do everything really well but these do..

This seller is one of the best sellers I have dealt with in many years, always quick to answer email and will ship them ever how you want them shipped, very reasonable cost for the glasses and equally reasonable shipping. I often give these as gifts to welders just starting out..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-Safe...DNNh5UH56xKdXQ
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I did not take Bob in St. Louis's comment negatively. It reminded me of one of the favorite sayings of a late friend of mine: Experience is a wonderful teacher, if you're too stupid to learn any other way. I'm sure the original poster - with some chagrin - would now agree.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    I did not take Bob in St. Louis's comment negatively. It reminded me of one of the favorite sayings of a late friend of mine: Experience is a wonderful teacher, if you're too stupid to learn any other way. I'm sure the original poster - with some chagrin - would now agree.
    I agree with that.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Adding cold lead to molten lead is a safety issue. Adding lead known to be moist is a surefire way to cause steam explosions. These can result in serious injuries. I don't know the source or purpose of your "shredded" lead, but the safe way to melt it is to pack a cold pot, heat it until it melts, and then pour it off. Do not add this material to an already molten pot of lead.
    Noted. The problem was that the shredded lead was kept outside and exposed to the elements. If the lead was dumped out of the buckets and spread out so as to allow it to thoroughly dry under roof for a lengthy period of time, the problem would not have never occurred.

I've been melting and casting for several years now and never had a problem until I attempted to melt shredded lead given to me in buckets that had been stored out in the open and not taking the time to ensure that the lead was absolutely dry before adding it to the pot.

I'm not offended by Bob's comments as I do not construe his comments seriously about being happy about hurting oneself for his benefit. Rather, I construe his comments constructively as being appreciative that we are willing to take the time to post about our mishaps so that others may learn and be spared.

As you can tell by the number of comments I have posted, I don't do so often. However, I felt it necessary to chime in because the topic is serious enough to warrant me lying in my bed after midnight trying to write coherent sentences with my cell phone.

Anyways I hope everyone who casts their own stays safe through the Holidays.

Aloha

~F

I do not understand why some guys persist in the idea of dropping stuff routinely into their casting pot. I collect the sprues in a wooden bowl, return them all at once to the pot or in two portions. That way my face isn't over the pot every cast. Safety glasses are good though, a clear face shield better.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Farknocker View Post
    i averted a disaster 3 weeks ago when i.was melting shredded lead into ingots. The lead was given to me by a fisherman who had stored the lead outside in gallon buckets. Apparently, moisture was trapped in the shredded lead and when i added a laddle of the scrap lead to the pot of molten lead, it popped and two speckles of molten lead landed on my cheek. I normally wear long sleeves, welding or leather construction gloves and safety glassess and this go-round was no different from any other. My set up, however was inadequate as i suffered a minor burn to my face. I reluctantly continued the process and turned away from the pot whenever i added another scoop of scrap lead to the pot. After a couple of minutes, of doing this i got nervous and went back into my workroom and grabbed a full face welding helmet (the kind with the tilt lens) for some extra protection. The very first time i put the mask to my face and poured the next laddle of scrap lead to the pot, it exploded. The explosion sent lead up about six feet into the air and in every direction. Molten lead hit the face mask and the clear acrylic lens protecting my eyes and landed on my shirt, pants and the wall behind and above me and all over the burner and concrete floor below. I miraculously escaped without a single burn. Had i decided not to wear the bulky awkward welding helmet, i would have suffered severe burns to my face and could have lost my eyes. I stopped what i was doing then immediately ran to homedepot where i picked up a ful face acrylic shield mask and continued making ingots while wearing it.

Sent from my samsung-sm-n910a using tapatalk
    holy s#|+!!!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    I sure do agree!!! I guess my main takeaway to share with others is that even when dealing with a tiny little pot of lead it's still molten lead and to be treated with respect. If you don't have the safety gear needed then wait to cast until you do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I do not understand why some guys persist in the idea of dropping stuff routinely into their casting pot. I collect the sprues in a wooden bowl, return them all at once to the pot or in two portions. That way my face isn't over the pot every cast. Safety glasses are good though, a clear face shield better.
    Well.... my normal casting setup has a moveable range hood over the top of it so normally when I drop my stories back in there is no splash back danger as any splash is caught by the range hood. I normally do collect my sprues and place them all back in at one time but I was using a 5lbs pot that was only half full at the time so if I collected all the sorriest that would have ended up being about 1/2 the pot if I casted till empty.

Moderator Emeritus

Excellent point in the OP. And FWIW, I've found safety glasses on sale at Harbor Freight for only $1-2. Bought several, and keep them laid about where I think I might need them. Best to put them in some sort of cheap box you were going to throw away to keep dust off them, but so often, we tend to not "go get 'em" and "take a chance" without them. If we have some cheap ones right there at us, it's hard not to use them. At least when you've gotten old and lazy like me?

Boolit Master
    Molten lead isn't the only hazard with our hobby...I was melting beeswax for a pan lube formula when I dropped a spoon in the mix...both lens spattered with wax.

Boolit Master
    Me I'm glad your Okay . Be Safe!!