RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Reloading lead (1st time)

Boolit Mold

Reloading lead (1st time)

If this question has already been ask please point me in the right direction. If not read along.

I got a box of 500 of these hitek copper coated bullets (see pic)

In 9mm they are 125gr. I would like to reload them to shoot in my cz scorpion. I CANNOT find any load data for the power that I use. I found some old data back in 08. This is what I am thinking.

Start 4.5
    Max 5.5
    OAL 1.150 Max

Unique powder.

I reached out to alliant currently waiting on a reply. The manual I have does not list a LRN and their site doesn't either. But they also don't show stats for casted bullets.

If alliant doesn't respond I guess I could reach out to the local company that made them for their recommendations. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I think I'd start at 4.9/Unique/125. Below that, I'm not sure the slide will function completely.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd edition list 5.3 of Unique to start and 5.5 tops with a 125 gr LRN for 9mm.
    I use 4.6 of AutoComp with a 125 gr LRN for my 9mm and it shoots clean and tight. I also use it for a 125 LCN with the same results.
    Hopes this helps. vinne
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinne View Post
    Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd edition list 5.3 of Unique to start and 5.5 tops with a 125 gr LRN for 9mm.
    I use 4.6 of AutoComp with a 125 gr LRN for my 9mm and it shoots clean and tight. I also use it for a 125 LCN with the same results.
    Hopes this helps. vinne
    What the.. That's the manual I have. Does unique burn to the point where it will leave residue in my barrel?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I think I'd start at 4.9/Unique/125. Below that, I'm not sure the slide will function completely.
    Especially in the evo.. That thing has a huge bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Unique sometimes leaves residue like unburned particles at the lower load levels. Adding just a little more will fix that.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

I like 3.5 of tite group for 125 lead.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

Your bullet looks like a PCed or Hi-Tek coated bullet, not copper plated. While there are "formula" for PCed and coated bullet load data, I just use lead bullet data. I have used lead data for the 1,200 Hi-Tek bullets I've used and for all the PCed bullets I've made (mebbe 2K).

One hint I give newer reloaders; find load data in your manual before you buy components. Much easier, quicker that way...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Your bullet looks like a PCed or Hi-Tek coated bullet, not copper plated. While there are "formula" for PCed and coated bullet load data, I just use lead bullet data. I have used lead data for the 1,200 Hi-Tek bullets I've used and for all the PCed bullets I've made (mebbe 2K).

One hint I give newer reloaders; find load data in your manual before you buy components. Much easier, quicker that way...
    I walked into the shop to get a scale then asked for bullets while I was there. Dude referred me to those. I want to load for my g19. Asked how does it work with glocks. He said the manufacturer tested the rounds out with a 10mm glock. If all else I'll use them in my scorpion. I regret buying them once they're gone Idk if I'll go back.

I must has made an error in my text I thought I said they were hitek.

Anyway, shot 5 today

4.8-5.0 unique
    OAL 1.147

Didnt have an issue.

As far as the reload data. Someone posted the data from the manual I have, I checked this morning and I guess I do not have it listed. I have 2-3 tables of 125 gr and it bumps to 130. And unique isn't listed but UNIVERSAL is.

In your opening post you said you had HiTek copper coated bullets. HiTek is a heat set resin coating available in several colors, copper is one of the colors.
    Nothing wrong with HiTek bullets at all, a few million have been sent down range. I just bought 2500 myself.
    Start with lead bullet data when using them.
    Speer #12 is for swaged lead that is much softer than cast. They list 4.1gr-4.5gr for a 125 at 1.130oal.
    Lyman 46th list data for a cast 121gr 4.3gr -5.3gr at 1.110oal.
    Nothing wrong with your 4.8and5.0gr loads. Load em, shoot em, and enjoy em.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9512.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	182005from an older Lasercast manual for cast boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Nuttin' wrong with PCed bullets. You've found a workable load, so shoot 'em up! I am a tinkerer and a curious kinda feller (my motto; "I wonder what will happen if I...") so of course I tried PCing some of my cast bullets and they work fine in my handguns (38/357, 45 ACP, 9mm) and my rifles (7.62x45r, 30-30, 303, and a few in my 30-06). Several years ago I saw some Precision H-Tek coated bullets on sale so I bought some for my pistols and they work great...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Nuttin' wrong with PCed bullets. You've found a workable load, so shoot 'em up! I am a tinkerer and a curious kinda feller (my motto; "I wonder what will happen if I...") so of course I tried PCing some of my cast bullets and they work fine in my handguns (38/357, 45 ACP, 9mm) and my rifles (7.62x45r, 30-30, 303, and a few in my 30-06). Several years ago I saw some Precision H-Tek coated bullets on sale so I bought some for my pistols and they work great...
    So to tag on here. Any difference between pc and hitek is one better than the other? Or withstands rifle pressures better?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
    So to tag on here. Any difference between pc and hitek is one better than the other? Or withstands rifle pressures better?

I reached out to the manufacturer of the bullets. His site recommended different specs that I was going to use. He called me later that day and we chatted for roughly an hour or so. Nice guy.

Anyway he informed me that hitek coating was developed in Australia due to their shortage of copper hitek coating resembles a copper jacketed bullet. He told me a local PD department uses his bullets for target practice using g17's.

He informed me that my OAL was a bit long. He recommended (with unique) a OAL of 1.080. That is short to what I was using. Erring on the side of caution I went down to a 1.100.

As for one better than the other. Idk. I would assume they are equal. But at least we are better informed about hitek

Banned

Hi-Tek is a cross linked polymer coating. [and is generally applied in 2-3 coats]

powder coating is just that a coating.
    it however comes in different formulations [base ingredients] when it's applied and cooked it all acts pretty much the same at that point.