Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners

Thread: Old Hornady powder drop linkage

Old Hornady powder drop linkage

Hello all,
    I recently acquired a Hornady Pro-jector press. I already have a Pro-7 and am very familiar with its operation. However, included in the press was an old version of Hornady's manual drum powder measure. Seemed straight forward enough, metering inserts held by set screw but other than that functioned just like the new LNL measure. What puzzled me was a few extra parts that were supposed to be for an old auto drop function for the press/measure. I will include photos of it partially assembled, but it looks like two rods with an articulating joint composed of a ball and cup, a spring for return, center post plate and arm for the drum. I cannot find any literature or photos of such a system, even tried looking for pacific brand products. Does anyone have a clue how this works and what parts are involved?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	181692

Name:	IMG_3520.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	181693

Perma-Banned A.K.A Castmast
    Here is mine:

Try Steve's Pages?

Quote Originally Posted by rundownbear View Post
    Here is mine:

Try Steve's Pages?
    Nice, you are activating the powder drop manually? The linkage that mine came with looks to activate on the upstroke of the press, however I do not think there is a shutoff, which may have led to the development of the case activated version that Hornady offers now. I have looked on Steve's, there are a few manuals for the presses, but nothing on the powder measure or old linkage.

This was the drop activated by the ram itself, and not a case.

Hope these photos help you out. Looks like you may be missing the bushing that goes in the center hole at the top of the press. The lower rod slides through it and is held in place by the flat offset bar with the two holes.

Name:	hornady bushings 001.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	181698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hornady bushings 003.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	181699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hornady bushings 004.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	181700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hornady bushings 005.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	181701

The brass bushings go in the black adapter tube located between the press and the measure. Use only one at a time based on the diameter of your casing. The longer one is used for short pistol. The bushings float inside the adapter and funnel the powder in the case as it slides in and out when the powder drops.
    I first used my presses without since mine didn't come with them. I just operated the measure by hand at the top of the stroke. I found the autodrops but couldn't get used to using them, and the occasional mess of spilled powder. A few years back they all got sold and traded off for new LNL's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ProJector.jpg  

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you a scanned copy of the original Pro7 and early ProJector manuals if you like. Unfortunate, the powder drop isn't listed in them.

YES! That is it! Thank you so much for those photos sir. I had the general idea, but it was like trying to build a piece of IKEA furniture without the instructions. Yes I think I am missing the center piece, I wonder why Hornady has no documentation on this system, I guess it was short lived. At any rate I was just wondering how it went together, perhaps i can try to make something to substitute the center. Was there any way to shut the powder throw off?

Thanks again, take care.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    This was the drop activated by the ram itself, and not a case.

Hope these photos help you out. Looks like you may be missing the bushing that goes in the center hole at the top of the press. The lower rod slides through it and is held in place by the flat offset bar with the two holes.

The brass bushings go in the black adapter tube located between the press and the measure. Use only one at a time based on the diameter of your casing. The longer one is used for short pistol. The bushings float inside the adapter and funnel the powder in the case as it slides in and out when the powder drops.
    I first used my presses without since mine didn't come with them. I just operated the measure by hand at the top of the stroke. I found the autodrops but couldn't get used to using them, and the occasional mess of spilled powder. A few years back they all got sold and traded off for new LNL's.

The center bushing should be easy to have someone make on a lathe. Simple bushing with a small lip on top so it doesn't fall through the press hole.

Its easy enough to deactivate. The two rods hold together at the cup/ball joint by the spring tension. I found I could easily lift the upper rod out of the joint when no powder was needed.

I also used a collar with a set screw on the lower rod for easier adjustment. The factory set up (yours has it) uses a spring washer that can slide only in one direction. If I recall, mine would come loose or get out of the setting too easy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinaBlanco View Post
    Was there any way to shut the powder throw off?
    JB
    And there in lies the short coming of that system...every press stroke equals a powder drop...every stroke, unless you disconnect the linkage

I had a similar powder drop system, only it was green
    I wouldn't spend any time/money trying to gather the parts to get it to work and just buy a Lee Auto-Drum and/or a Pro Auto-Drum powder measure(s), along with any needed risers, and never look back.
    Case activated, case=powder, no case=no powder.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 11-30-2016 at 11:16 PM.

What bushing are you talking about? Do you mean the cylinder that connects between the measure and the press? If so, I have that piece.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

The bushing for the lower rod that passes through the center hole in the top of the press. It is under the plate that is held down by the measure adapter and can be seen in the closeup of the lower right photo in my post above.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend had one. U will spill powder forgetting to disconnect. Convert to the case activated style is my opinion.

I have that same powder drop assembly and have to agree with others that it is a PITA. I always think that I won't forget and drop powder every where , but it doesn't always work out like that. I usually only run pistol cases through the progressive and use a Lee case activated disk powder measure. If it were me I'd get the $55 case activated kit. If you need the bushing I could copy the one I have out of aluminum bar stock and send it to you for shipping.