Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tumble lube problems

Boolit Master

Tumble lube problems

I have used tradition lubed boolits with different lubes (Randy's TAC-1 and TAC-X being my favorites) with no leading problems. I ESPC with HF Powders and powder for Smoke's, again no problems. Then I tried tumble lubing with Ben's liquid lube(original formula) that so many have raved about. I have tried to in 40 Smith, 9MM and 380 Auto, and have experienced severe leading in all three. I must be doing something wrong in application. I even have tried coating, then sizing and coating again. I size the 9mm and 380 to .358 and the 40 to .401. Anyone have any suggestion as to what and why I am having a problem?

Maybe check to make sure boolits aren't being sized down while taper crimping. Also check that the case mouth is being belled out enough for seating and boolits don't get shaved when seating.

Is your alloy hard enough? I'd water drop boolits right from the mold for those calibers to bump up the BHN.

Since PCing, did you reset your O.A.L.?
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master

As far as the bell on the case (380) I set it but there is such a variation in lengths that some indeed have very little bell. I use a Dillon 550 and made my own powder funnels. They expand the case neck to .3575 for the length of the boolit and then roll crimp on the final station. Only noticed some slight shaving on cases short enough to have no bell.

I am using the same mold whether Tumble lubing or PCing and size both at .358 so I am a little puzzled as to the OAL question. That being said, I do not change the OAL as I see no need. If I am missing something, please chime in.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot them under 1,000 fps and have leading? The lead may be to soft or the size die may be to large,
    Silver Hand