Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone from around, or been to....

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Gotta add to mine a little . I've been from Phoenix Arizona all the way to Tacoma , Texahoma down to ol San Anton ,El Paso ,Amarillo , LA and Sam Clemens was right about the coldest winter he ever spent being a summer in San Francisco . I've been to Toad Suck and French Lick and Round up . Bloomfield NOT Bloomington Indiana. Sydney and Minden Nebraska . Rock Springs , Laramie , Little America and Buford Wy , I was broken down in every one of them..... Helena , Enis , Dillion ,Quake Lake , Virginia and Nevada city Montana. Calgary and Nanton Alberta Canada . I've been farther south in Texas in Gonzales than when we went to San Quentin Baja Mexico (like canteen not the Cal prison) . I've been to Pueblo ,Los Animas ( interesting town , 6 way stop with a set of RR tracks right through the middle ) , Vail , Denver ,Green River and Grand Junction CO. Salt lake city,Logan ,Ogden ,Moab ,Kanab , Heber and Richfield Ut . At some point I've been in and bought something in every town from Reno to Riverside on 395 and from Barstow up 58 to 99 all the way to I80 and I5 from Chula Vista to San Francisco . Green leaf ,Cascade ,Boise , Nampa , Caldwell , Blackfoot Id .

I'm like road apples man I been everywhere .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Born in Brooklyn in 64. My uncle and grandmother lived on Avenue O. We lived on Staten Island. I remember the Italian sausage wheels on the bbq, bushels of clams from Sheepshead Bay and the Italian Bakery on Flatbush or there abouts. My uncle and I would go there to get fresh pastries after the family Sunday dinner. From 71-72, Visalia, CA, 72-82 Orange County, CA (got out just in time) to the service. In95 I got out an settled somewhat in the PNW, then in 02 north to AK.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Hard to beat good southern bar-b-q. I have lived my 77 years in the Texas
    panhandle, the forgotten part of Texas, I have seen hail the size of a vollyball ,sand storms where it was dark at noon blizzards with 90 mph wind range fires with the same 90mph wind. Our rivers run under ground but it is home you can see 30 miles on a clear day , and no one beats our sunsets .
    Ate at The Big Texan more than once, no I didnt go for the steak, and rolled through Dalhart a number of times. Only tornado that ever chased me was when I was running south from Borger on 207.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy

I was born in Kyoto, Japan about 6 months after the Korean War broke out. Mom was an RN in Japan and Dad was in Korea. Dad was career military, 26 years, and we moved a lot. We moved 9 times in 9 years during one stretch and I went to 5 different high schools, 2 in Virginia, 2 in Arizona and 1 in California. After college I went into the Army were I wound up moving another dozen+ times over the next 20 years. Found my wife at one of those stops, Ft Lee, VA, 32 years ago. Between my Dad and I, in 46 + years we never did a tour in Europe, but we did 7 tours in the Pacific, 2 in Japan, 3 in Korea, he did Viet Nam and I did Hawaii. After I retired from the Army we moved to Tucson and I went back to college. After graduating I went to work for one of my professors and retired a second time a few years ago. I think in my life the longest I have ever lived in one spot without moving is 4 years. I've seen a lot, but the down side is that aside from my siblings I have no friends that predate my junior year of college.

Harter66 Most years I drive from Tucson to visit my best friend in Klamath Falls Or. I drive right past Walker Lake. Your location description of being "5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere" is an exaggeration. You have got to be closer than 5 miles.

Starbits
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Moderator Emeritus

I've lived in small town MN all my life, if fact I've never ventured outside of MN for longer than 2 weeks at any one time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Starbits ,
    Only with the lake down so far.....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Oh, high school... when I started this thread I forgot to mention having gone to three high schools since I was an Air Force brat and moved around a lot.

Chofu HS in Japan, Knob Noster HS in MO, and Chicopee HS in MA. I was in Chicopee HS (the third and final HS) for a couple of months when someone took me from class to the principals office. I thought I was in trouble but was shown a list of subjects I had taken in my prior two HS and was told that I was being moved from the 11th grade to the 12th grade. My friends expressions were priceless .
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post
    Born and raised in Sherman, TX up north of Dallas. College in Nacogdoches, army in El Paso and San Angelo (and other less desirous places), and oilfield after that in, mostly, South Texas. Retired for about 5yrs now and happy as a clam. (That would be a clam with the aches and pains of your average 69yr old curmudgeon...)
    My stepfather grew up in Sherman. WWII vet, he ended up in CA, like a lot of people do. When he was a kid he tried unsuccessfully to exterminate the jackrabbits that were everywhere.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

born in Minneapolis, raised in Delaware and settled in BC. I have been in 49 states, 6 provinces and 6 other countries
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master
    I was born and raised in Des Moines, Iowa. Many of my childhood friends still live in the old neighborhood. I moved to a suburb many years ago and will probably die here.

My wife was raised in a small Iowa town. We both had a safe environment to grow up in. Families and friends are close here. The term 'friend of the family' is well understood.

Hunting has changed since I was a kid. Pheasant and quail populations are down where deer and turkey population is up.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Born and raised in a small village called Clayton La. It reminds me of Mayberry with a sheriff about the same as Andy except he drank.
    That place has changed greatly over the yrs since I grew up there. My grand parents raised me and Granddad was the mayor when he passed.
    I live about 45 miles from there now on a lake in the middle of nowhere.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

I was born and grew up in a small town in upstate ny, I was a runt and yes bullies existed back then too, what saved me is dad put me to work on a neighbors farm and I went from a runt into a 6 foot 4in tall 265 pound kid. Never did see myself as being big though. After high school went to college, got caught up in that thing called Vietnam War. Spent 7 years in Army left as a SFC with messed up back and shattered patellas. Worked for 38 years for NYSDOT and then left think divorce and all the fun it creates. I have been to Canada, Virgina, Missouri, Florida, Utah, New Mexico, and currently in Idaho. In the military saw a few other places but can't say as I was never offically there if you understand, few will ever know what really went on while I was in the Army, some think they know but only pieces I want them to know. My record has been sanitized by me so there is nothing there I didn't want left, had two generals sign off on my changes and they even asked if I was sure I wanted it left this way and I told them that one day as a old man I might say something and if there is nothing to back it up it is just and old man not remembering things right.
    I would love to see Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Israel, but health issues have taken them off the plate for me. So if I travel it has to be either here in my own country or Canada and that is just fine with me. One has to accept as we age things change and either we change and go with the new us or we just waste the time we have left on this earth

Forgot to mention I have traveled across the US from Idaho to NY and got see the Mississippi river so low you could walk across and most likely not get yourself wet. Have to do it again this coming summer to re-roof a family members house in NY so as to cut down on cost, might even have to do a garage roof also depending on if the idiot that did it left enough to make it work or not. When I travel across country usually plan on 3 days each way, it is a long trip and lots and lots of time behind the wheel.
    Last edited by shdwlkr; 11-29-2016 at 01:30 PM.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Where in upstate NY?

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    I was born and grew up in a small town in upstate ny, I was a runt and yes bullies existed back then too, what saved me is dad put me to work on a neighbors farm and I went from a runt into a 6 foot 4in tall 265 pound kid. Never did see myself as being big though. After high school went to college, got caught up in that thing called Vietnam War. Spent 7 years in Army left as a SFC with messed up back and shattered patellas. Worked for 38 years for NYSDOT and then left think divorce and all the fun it creates. I have been to Canada, Virgina, Missouri, Florida, Utah, New Mexico, and currently in Idaho. In the military saw a few other places but can't say as I was never offically there if you understand, few will ever know what really went on while I was in the Army, some think they know but only pieces I want them to know. My record has been sanitized by me so there is nothing there I didn't want left, had two generals sign off on my changes and they even asked if I was sure I wanted it left this way and I told them that one day as a old man I might say something and if there is nothing to back it up it is just and old man not remembering things right.
    I would love to see Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Israel, but health issues have taken them off the plate for me. So if I travel it has to be either here in my own country or Canada and that is just fine with me. One has to accept as we age things change and either we change and go with the new us or we just waste the time we have left on this earth

Forgot to mention I have traveled across the US from Idaho to NY and got see the Mississippi river so low you could walk across and most likely not get yourself wet. Have to do it again this coming summer to re-roof a family members house in NY so as to cut down on cost, might even have to do a garage roof also depending on if the idiot that did it left enough to make it work or not. When I travel across country usually plan on 3 days each way, it is a long trip and lots and lots of time behind the wheel.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

I grew up in the southern tier near the Pennsylvania border, worked in Rochester, Buffalo area, was last in Albany area where I retired.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

[QUOTE=shdwlkr;3859586 So if I travel it has to be either here in my own country or Canada and that is just fine with me. One has to accept as we age things change and either we change and go with the new us or we just waste the time we have left on this earth

Forgot to mention I have traveled across the US from Idaho to NY and got see the Mississippi river so low you could walk across and most likely not get yourself wet. Have to do it again this coming summer to re-roof a family members house in NY so as to cut down on cost, might even have to do a garage roof also depending on if the idiot that did it left enough to make it work or not. When I travel across country usually plan on 3 days each way, it is a long trip and lots and lots of time behind the wheel.[/QUOTE]
    Are you by chance near(within a hour )of Porthill? I've made the trip from central BC to southern Del a couple of times. I can fully agree with the lots and lots of time behind the wheel.
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master

cariboo
    i am in the southwest corner of idaho
    forgot I have been to the Ukraine also would love to go back, but things there and health prevent that from happening, got to love getting older and accepting life changes as we age
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Born and raised in the CA bay area, and spent a lot of time around Lake Tahoe so learned to enjoy mountains and winter sports. Spent our honeymoon in Alaska and I fell in love with the state before the plane even touched down. Moved up nearly 20 years ago.

It's been a great place to raise kids. All the good opportunities of a city in regards to cultural events, and wilderness a short drive away. We were in Eagle River and then moved to Anchorage two years ago. Eagle River was a nice little suburb with roughly half the population active duty military. I'm eternally grateful for the service of the men and women in the military, but it was tough on the kids as many of their friends would be gone after a few years. Funny thing is when we moved up we swore we'd not live "in the city" Well we're on the outskirts of Anchorage and by and large our neighbors are wonderful friendly people and we've found the same with our kids friends parents. Plenty of places I'd like to visit, can't think of wanting to live anywhere else.

I've traveled a little bit around the state for work, and have been to Singapore and Kazakhstan for work as well. Once the kids are all in college my wife and I are planning to spend some more time traveling. Someday I'd like to visit all the states, so far I've just hit the West Coast and North East down to NC.

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    cariboo
    i am in the southwest corner of idaho
    A little further afield then I'll be traveling shdwlkr . I get down to the Nelson / Castlegar, BC area every so often to visit a son and a couple of Granddaughters. Next trip down I'll need to drop down into Washington but could cross into Idaho first. Should you be traveling in central BC, if I'm around the coffee or tea is on
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

Moderator Emeritus

I was born in Northern Utah and have lived there til I was 22, SE Idaho til I was 32, and Western MT for the last 30 + years. I prefer to live within five miles of a town with under 1500 population. I have visited as a tourist, Alberta Canada Edmunton to Banff, Mexico; driving from El Paso to Durango then over the Sierra to Matzatlan, N to Arizona, flown to Mexico City, Cancun, Villa Hermosa and bused to a bunch in between, Palenque to Tulum. Visited Germany, Albania, Greece and Italy, Chile, Argentina, Uraguay and the Falkland Islands [Malvinas]. Hope to get out some more and see stuff. I have never driven east of Texas other than in a rental car around cities. Every time I go to the Southern US humidity gets to me so a week is my limit.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze