Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: ESPC - Some Scraping During Resizing: Toss, Recoat, Load as is?

Boolit Bub

ESPC - Some Scraping During Resizing: Toss, Recoat, Load as is?

So I have resized close to 900 of these and have run into a problem where about 45 of these have had a small bit of scrapping at the base which is ~5%:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161114_195423.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	180714

The most egregious offenders being by my middle finger and index.... there's maybe like 3 of the 45 like that. All, even the ones with the nicks shown, pass the smash test.

Now my question is are these salvageable by a quick powder dip n' bake or would the leading be so negligible they should just be loaded as is?? Culling 5% after a powder bake seems to be a lot of wasted effort, surely something can be done.

More so I am trying to conjecture why is this happening. I don't think it's the dye because I should see a higher % with this problem, I am guessing I just chopped the sprew too soon, or the sprew plate screw walked before I caught it early enough leading to the base being a little off which got caught in sizer tearing the PC a bit off.

If there is one thing I hate, it is deleading my m&p 9L barrel - did that once and swore I would never run any lead exposed bullets through it again.

What are you fellas' thoughts?

Edit: The boolits dropped were about .359 after PC .363 ran them through a lee .357 sizer and they measure .358-.359 after.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I would shoot them if they pass the hammer test but heck I am only picky about my wife and food oh and dogs and well alot of things but I still shoot them
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

From what I see in the photo I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them. My reasoning is that I don't see anything that would indicate that there is a possibility of leading at least in regular handgun loads. I'll be interested in what others have to say.
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Shoot 'em!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

As Troy Landry would say "Choot Em"....
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

Boolit Master

looks like you are getting extra bit of powder coat on the tail and it gets ripped off as you size. you can follow beagle333 and stand them on a smaller washer which eliminates the extra flash, or you can try using a different style sizer. I have shoot ones that look like that with no ill effects to my barrels.

I would shoot them, that's a non issue. Also the tiniest amount of Hornady one shot on a boolit once and a while may help slick them up and avoid some of the scraping. (YMMV) The 240's i've been casting, after two coats come out at .314-.315 and are sized down to .308, just adding a bit of lube to a bullet here and there helps sizing and scraping of the PC.

What mold?

Boolit Bub
    Its the recent mihec 147gr pb HP group by mold. Which other style sizers are you referring to?

Never had much luck with S&B but sized some coated 170s from 311 to 308 this morning, scraped a lot off. Dumped them in #5 contained I keep overspray in (HF red), no ASBBs. Shook 15 sec. they're coated. Cooked on my hotplate - re-sizing went fine. Not a real thick coat but enough for these.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I shoot those types all the time (I keep the questionable ones and give my buddy the totally good ones)

he does the smelting and I do the casting/PC
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Bub
    Just a quick questioning what powder coat are you using? HF?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Yea, HF red with their cheap gun. Was thinking of getting a nicer system perhaps, the spraying seems to vary in density at times and the charge to the bullets doesn't seem to be satisfactorily distributed - the outter bullets on the tray take a bit longer to get coated.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I shoot those types all the time (I keep the questionable ones and give my buddy the totally good ones)

he does the smelting and I do the casting/PC
    I wish I had an arrangement like this. I end up doing everything myself which is a bit time consuming and am probably going to be cutting my buddies off soon. Doing this for one person is reasonable but trying to supply others is too much time no matter how much they throw down for the components.

Boolit Bub
    Switch powders to smokes. The extra $ is worth it. Especially if you recoup over spray.

Also i may have missed it but did you verify oven temp and wash bullets to remove oil?

Ive used hf before and its fine for spraying but tumbling is a bit tougher to get a good coat in some conditions.

Boolit Bub
    Also there is a thread on hf pc gun mod to improve spray and charge...do a search in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post
    Also there is a thread on hf pc gun mod to improve spray and charge...do a search in this forum.

Sure wish you had a link. search turns nothing up for me.